Just Watched Star Wars Episode Iv

Sure, I've seen "modern" 3D (employing polaroid glasses rather than coloured glasses), at IMAX and at some themepark experiences (Honey I shrunk the Kids at Disneyland Paris and the Muppet Show in Florida) and it's much better than red/green filters. You'd need special projectors for those, though. It sounds like these "alternating" glasses will work with conventional digital projectors.

Those ones are still rubbish though. The polarisation kinda doesn't totally work and things just still look a bit blurry.

Kerraig, what's the framerate? Is it 24fps x 2?

Is there a motor on the glasses, and can you hear it?

And presumably it will come to IMAX in the future?

The only problem with 3d is that my eyes always try to change focus when I look at stuff that's further away, and then of course things get weird. Did anything like that happen in Star Wars?

I'm excited, I knew this was coming but I didn't know it was all-new tech.

Did you try closing your left eye and watching just the computer generated image? Could you spot any defects in the image? Anything look odd?

Dont you read my posts! I said twice, when you close your left eye it just becomes the movie again. But it feels like it loses something. Its MUCh more immersive with the 3-D effect

And yeah its 24fps

Dont you read my posts! I said twice, when you close your left eye it just becomes the movie again. But it feels like it loses something. Its MUCh more immersive with the 3-D effect

And yeah its 24fps

EITHER Graham meant that since one of the two images had to be totally computer generated in order to allow the depth of field, could you spot this by looking through one eye alone (i.e. the eye that was watching the CGI image)...

OR he just bearded you, big time.

And yeah its 24fps

Yes, I meant: what did the purely CGI image look like?

Incidentally

The extinction ratios are far better with an “active” system (>100:1) than with “passive” (10 to 20:1) which simply translates into a far more distinct clear 3D image without ghosting. L/R crosstalk ghosting does not occur with head tilt with an “active” projection method.

So that's why the "active" systems look better. You also can use a conventional screen: the passive glasses require a silver screen rather than a matte one. I was wrong before: passive glasses don't require two projectors: they can put a fancy piezo-electronic lens in front of a single projector, which is much cheaper.

I remember going to the Futuroscope theme park in France back in '97 and using some of these glasses. The whole park was based around various different cinemas, each with their own 'gimmick' (moving chairs, giant screens etc.)

Up until the film with the alternating glasses, I was incredibly underwhelmed with the 3d stuff as I couldn't see it properly (what with my shitty eyesight and all that.) They projected an undersea documentary thing on a curved screen with these special glasses and I nearly wept with joy as a shark nuzzled me in the face and seaweed brushed over my forehead.

Sounds like the real new technology resides with the computerised spatialising (or whatever it's called) of 2D films. Sounds ace!

So what's the possibility of something like this for games, one day?

Probably largely depends on how cheap/automatic the process of doing it is/becomes. And equally if it will only work on projectors, or any TV (I can't really see why it couldn't, from the little I gathed in the thread, other than a small screen would likely lose all he impressiveness).

Technology: Great. Dead sexy in fact.

People: Not so great. Imagine being the first in line to watch Star Wars in full 3D next year. Now, lose that image, because that'll be some media starlet/whore/scientologist at the "official" premiere. More likely, you'll be able to get a ticket for a showing in three weeks time, when some 40,000 people have used the glasses before you. And sweated on them. And spilt drinks on them. And put grubby filth-encrusted digits all over them. And cracked the lenses on every fourth one. It'd be like putting a pair of used bowling shoes ON YOUR EYES.

Man, I think I need to go back to bed. I'm just too damn grumpy today.

Technology: Great. Dead sexy in fact.

People: Not so great. Imagine being the first in line to watch Star Wars in full 3D next year. Now, lose that image, because that'll be some media starlet/whore/scientologist at  the "official" premiere. More likely, you'll be able to get a ticket for a showing in three weeks time, when some 40,000 people have used the glasses before you. And sweated on them. And spilt drinks on them. And put grubby filth-encrusted digits all over them. And cracked the lenses on every fourth one. It'd be like putting a pair of used bowling shoes ON YOUR EYES.

Man, I think I need to go back to bed. I'm just too damn grumpy today.

The goggles are sterilised after every show.

TV's cant do it, but DLP projectors can. Games could have the feature from tomorrow if the producers thought of it.

The goggles are sterilised after every show.

TV's cant do it, but DLP projectors can. Games could have the feature from tomorrow if the producers thought of it.

<cynical hat on> Yeah, like bowling shoes are "cleaned" after every patron</cynical hat blows off>

That's pretty cool, actually, although I guess it'll do some interesting stuff to theatre economics -- extra people to collect/clean the goggles, possible ticket price rises. From what you've described, though, it seems like it could well be worth it.

PERHAPS this is the Nintendo Revolution! Well of course it isn't :(

That would be great though. Although I'm not sure how they'd sell a projector very cheaply :D

Imagine cars flipping, spinning towards you in Burnout 3. Headcraps leaping AT you in Half Life 2. Screaming over a Star Destroyer, laser blasts cutting into your eyes. A really good feeling of erm "ball depth" in Champ Man ;).

Cor.

thinking more about the games, driving games woyuld be fucking awesome man. and imagine something like transformers. Lordy.

o/\o

See the potential?

Even fighting games would be pretty ace. New final fight? Throwing people into/out of the screen.

What is the depth perception like, would you say? Would it make it EASIER to play games...driving games being an example?

Star Wars, as you say...well well. ;)

Mario 128...hmmmm.

Surely most poeple who end up buying their own glasses anyway, if it took off properly. I know I would.

Bit gutting for people who need normal glasses. I wear contacts normally. Clip ons? :D

I wear specs too. No way I'm trying contacts again. Maybe special perscription 3D lenses?

Actually that's going too far. Clip-ons it is :D

Contacts are the ace. Until I get hayfever :(