IGNORED

Another Code (nds)

Cyhwuhx

Like I say, the story in Another Code may well be wonderful. I might be feeling like all the other posters here who enjoyed the tale on offer.

But the actual gameplay sounds bad. It sounds like something I'd not enjoy. As a game, it sounds poor.

Unlike your GTA example, which is a game that instead of giving you an impressive jump gives you high speed driving.

The only thing that sounds fun in AC is the story. A £25 story with some tedious bits.

Well I haven't played it so I can't comment on the story, but all I'm saying is that the principal of not being able to collect items until your character requires them is neither new nor a flaw. You personally may not enjoy it, but in puzzle based games such as Still Life or this the emphasis is absolutely not on item collecting and using and it plays an incredibly small part. Personal preferences that's all, but unlike some things, this cannot be regarded as awful game design.

Well I haven't played it so I can't comment on the story, but all I'm saying is that the principal of not being able to collect items until your character requires them is neither new nor a flaw. You personally may not enjoy it, but in puzzle based games such as Still Life or this the emphasis is absolutely not on item collecting and using and it plays an incredibly small part. Personal preferences that's all, but unlike some things, this cannot be regarded as awful game design.

.::: True, I just wouldn't call it a game anymore in that case. I want a game to give me the idea I'm in control. Another Code tarnished this by effectively putting me into a gamelogic straightjacket. I understand how the game-character cannot know this, but it is completely jarring when you are actually controlling that character. That however is a problem worthy of it's own topic as it is appearant in more games and seems to be a real-life logic to game flaw.

Then why is the game interactive? This goes to all those saying how good the story is too. WHY are we paying upwards of £25 for a game that lasts five hours and doesn't let you do much until the game's happy you've fulfilled monotonous tasks?

In point 'n' click adventures, I like to assume the role of the main character, bit it Manny, Guybrush, Simon or Sam. I'm in control. And I'd like to be able to pick up usable objects when I feel like.

Otherwise the game is little more than the "interactive" movies of the MegaCD and CDi days. It'd need to be a cracker of a five hour story to be worth £25.

Maybe it is. I haven't witnessed the story yet. But as a game, it just does not sound good.

Again, it is very much interactive. You control where you walk, you find clues and you solve puzzles.

Items play a far less prominent role in the actual puzzle solving than they do in the Monkey Island games for example. In those you'd often be required to find the required items, combine a number of them to fom something useful and then apply that creation to the problem. In Another Code finding an item or group of items is usually a means of activating a puzzle, not solving it.

Valid points all round, but I've definatley decided (especially after still life) that I cannot be arsed to try and play these types of games again.*

Its a shame because I like to hear an interesting story, but I would much rather read a book than 'interact' with a 'world' that only lets me do things at VERY specific times. Its too linear, theres no experimentation to be had. In my eyes, there is no gameplay.

*unless that Farenheit actually turns out to be any good - but that really will be the last straw! ;)

I dunno, Edge recently had a preview that didnt exactly inspire the greatest of confidence in it.. I'm hoping tho. Plus its a guaranteed the-girlfriend-wont-mind-watching-it type game ;)

That's not how I solved it.

When I repaired the signpost, I noticed that there was a symbol on the right displaying half a scale and swirly thing. I took a photo just in case. After finding the gear and repairing the lock, I chose the two scale symbols based on the sign image, and lo and behold the gate opened. I never had to pick up one of the brushes

That's pretty interesting actually. Multiple solutions to puzzles eh?

I solved it in the same way. Didn't get the brush and never found the plaque. Thought the brush looked important but it wouldnt let me take it at the time. Maybe this partially explains why you cant take items unless you know what to do with it first. I'd have ended up carrying that brush round all game with no use for it otherwise.

Up to chapter three after a few hours play, quite enjoying it to be fair. I don't really mind the fact that the puzzles are easy, beats getting stuck and having to gamefaq it up. It is meant to be a portable game after all.

Enjoyed the stylus use in the searching of areas and puzzles so far, I think it adds a nice physical element to the game. The way the dual screens work with giving you different views of the area you're searching works really well after you get used to it. The music is nice, if a bit repetitive.

I was a bit put off when I read this thread, but based on what I've played I'm glad I bought it now. Shame it seems a bit short, but I can always sell it after I've finished with it.

I was planning on going out to buy a DS just for this today. I dunno why, it just looked really cool.

Saved my cash, it seems :P

You reliase that there's only one person in this thread who's actually played the game and didn't get on with it, right? There are are couple of others who are finding it enjoyable. Why not decide for yourself?

Why don't you play it for yourself and make up your own mind, rather than believe what any of us have to say? If you bought your games based on this forum's opinion of them, then let's be honest, you'd hardly ever buy anything :P

Don't get me wrong, I've done it the other way around. I've bought games I might not otherwise have considered when there's been a glowing report or two on here from certain people. I wouldn't, however, instantly dismiss a game I'd been looking forward to simply because one person didn't rate it.

Seriously though, 5 hours!? :wub:

There are different endings right? Do we know how many?

Is there replay value based on taking different routes through the game, or it is the case of getting to a point having to make a decision and taking it from there.

Spoiler free answer if possible. :)

Just completed it, took me 7 and a half hours in total (I must have been going slow) but I thought it was really nice. It's certainly different. I probably won't play that much again though, but I will pass it on to my sister who I think would enjoy this. It's a charming game, got some neat ideas in it aswell, and the story can be quite sad at times.

I'd say it's certainly worth playing, and considering the time needed to complete it, I'd say it's worth finishing too.

You reliase that there's only one person in this thread who's actually played the game and didn't get on with it, right? There are are couple of others who are finding it enjoyable. Why not decide for yourself?

Yes, but is it worth me risking buying a DS, then not liking game, then realising I've wasted loads of money? :)

It's the only thing I really fancy on the DS, except Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Why don't you play it for yourself and make up your own mind, rather than believe what any of us have to say? If you bought your games based on this forum's opinion of them, then let's be honest, you'd hardly ever buy anything :)

On the contrary, I'd have missed out on Ico, Beyond Good and Evil, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and Ninja Gaiden amongst others.

Yes, but is it worth me risking buying a DS, then not liking game, then realising I've wasted loads of money? :)

It depends on how much you were looking forward to it I guess, and whether you want to concentrate on the one negative critique or the handful of positive ones from the people who enjoyed it. Fair enough though if there's not much else you want on the machine I suppose. Me? I'm employing the blind optimism defense.

Seriously though, 5 hours!?  :P

There are different endings right? Do we know how many?

Is there replay value based on taking different routes through the game, or it is the case of getting to a point having to make a decision and taking it from there.

Spoiler free answer if possible.  :D

Haven't finished it yet but at the end of each chapter you get asked questions on events i.e. any plot revelations, outcome of puzzles etc to allow ashley to remember them. Presumably if you do shite in the tests you get a bad ending and vice versa.

Where's it written that portable games can't be challenging? I don't mean to badger you, but if the game's basically puzzle solving, wouldn't you want it to be rather tricky?

I wouldn't say the game is basically just puzzle solving though. It's also about exploring and piecing together the mystery of the island through the storyline. At least it seems that way to me so far.

Although the puzzles have been fairly easy, they've all been quite fun and satisfying to solve(largely thanks to the stylus control), but then I'm not really a big fan of puzzle's, admittedly.

Concerning the difficulty with portable games thing, I was more thinking along the lines of being able to make progress in short bursts of play. If the puzzles were really tough and I was constantly getting stuck and having to wander around cluelessly until I looked up the solution on the net, I don't think I'd be enjoying the game as much.

I suppose it depends on what you're looking for from the game. If you want an easy going, lightweight(but charming) adventure game then it's fine but if you're after a deep and challenging puzzler then you may be dissapointed I guess.

Haven't finished it yet but at the end of each chapter you get asked questions on events i.e. any plot revelations, outcome of puzzles etc to allow ashley to remember them. Presumably if you do shite in the tests you get a bad ending and vice versa.

.::: In that case I should've gotten the good ending. I hope you're wrong because the Good Ending is pretty shit then.