IGNORED

Another Code (nds)

Cyhwuhx

Well, you've done me a great service. I'm contacting Play and letting them know I won't be keeping it.

9/10 eh? Those crazy Japanese.

.::: Completely baffled at the score. Mind you, a colleague seems to have scored this a 8,5. I nearly lost it when I heard about it. It's a 5 in my mind, and only because the system works but they failed to do anything actually fun with it.

What on earth are you on about?

I'm completely in love with Another Code. It's delicate and not too difficult, the story is artfully told, the puzzles are brilliantly innovative and the whole thing works so well together... I think it's a beautiful adventure game.

Complaining about having to FIGURE OUT a puzzle before a door will open is ludicrous. Oh dear oh dear - you'll have to actually think and go through the game's problems before progressing? However will you manage?

Currently writing a very complimentary review of it, actually. It's a beautiful little game - people, don't start crying just yet.

Complaining about having to FIGURE OUT a puzzle before a door will open is ludicrous. Oh dear oh dear - you'll have to actually think and go through the game's problems before progressing? However will you manage?

Surely the problem is that the game is structured so that you HAVE to go from A to B to C, even though logically A to C has a clear path open?

It's the old "talk to all the villagers before Jim will give you a poking device" all over again.

If you can beat the game, you should be able to benefit from it.

.::: Completely baffled at the score. Mind you, a colleague seems to have scored this a 8,5. I nearly lost it when I heard about it. It's a 5 in my mind, and only because the system works but they failed to do anything actually fun with it.

Urgh! I'm never EVER gonna buy this piece of SHIT! What a letdown!

I'm completely in love with Another Code. It's delicate and not too difficult, the story is artfully told, the puzzles are brilliantly innovative and the whole thing works so well together... I think it's a beautiful adventure game.

Currently writing a very complimentary review of it, actually. It's a beautiful little game - people, don't start crying just yet.

SOLD! Gotta get me this! Can't wait! "Boo" to you naysayers, "Boo" I say!

I don't have a problem with A to B to C - I think that's how adventure games should be constructed. They've always been that way, it's the nature of the beast, and you'd miss out on a few of the more smile-inducing puzzles if you could bypass by guesswork.

No, he wasnt complaining about having to figure out anything at all. In fact he said most of the puzzles are far too easy.

What is the most stupid sounding thing about this game is in the first post: READ THIS CAREFULLY NOW:

(Cyhwuhx @ Jun 22 2005, 06:13 PM)

Rather early on you are confronted with a keypad that needs a combination of two to open. There are only six options and thus you can just feasibly do all combinations and open the gate.

No way in hell will it open.

Instead you need to find a picture of said combination before the lock finally gives way.

This is piss poor game design. The fact that you cannot pick up certain item until you've been to a puzzle, even though you might not even NEED the item to solve the puzzle. Terrible. This is why i hate Point n Clicks these days.

hurrah!

This is piss poor game design. The fact that you cannot pick up certain item until you've been to a puzzle, even though you might not even NEED the item to solve the puzzle. Terrible. This is why i hate Point n Clicks these days.

It's not poor game design at all. It's an ADVENTURE GAME - that's just what happens. I see it as an idiosyncracy rather than a fault. If you hate point-n-clicks, then why should you even bother with Another Code at all?

I'm currently in the middle of chapter two, and I'm finding it utterly enthraling. I didn't even think of solving that gate thing near the start through guesswork. I recognised the symbols from the signpost, checked my photograph and found the correct symbols to use. In fact I haven't found myself getting ahead of the game at all so far. It's all perfectly logical.

The story seems intruiging enough, and the music is wondeful. It's a pretty atmospheric game overall.

Needless to say I'm enjoying it. ;)

hurrah!

What are you so happy about? All he's done is say he likes the faults that have been pointed out. He may like having to find pointless clues when there's a much simpler solution, but that would bore be rigid. And it has already been said the game can be completed in 5 hours. It's not a challenge is it? It sounds like a case of just clicking A to B to C without having to think at all, which is the shittest game design you can have. You're essentialy a spectator jumping through hoops to see the next bit of the story.

It's not poor game design at all. It's an ADVENTURE GAME - that's just what happens. I see it as an idiosyncracy rather than a fault. If you hate point-n-clicks, then why should you even bother with Another Code at all?

Cos I was really hoping with this (and Still Life, which disappointed me in the same way) was going to change the way P&c's work, finally. Plus older point and clicks never had this sorta random annoying counter-logic stuff.

I'm with Cyhwux (sp) ;)

No it's a poorly designed Adventure game. I could pick up random objects galore back in the day and then use them when i needed them instead of having to go back for them.

.::: Oh it's been build well allright, and there is some truly nice DS-usage. But if that alone is enough to justify a high score... No offense but then we could go on and award everything a 9 just for effort.

I like Nintendo, sure, but that doesn't mean I'm going to swallow everything they release and slap 'innovative' upon just because it's slightly different from what they are normally doing. (Besides almost everything in Another Code is already done in Wario Ware Touched!, and the foto-snapping is woefully underused. Actually...

I've used the foto comparison thing 2 times in total! Innoative? Sure. But also tacked on rather than integrated.

And as said I'm not complaining about the 'puzzle' before said door. I'm complaining at not being allowed to solve it without the game guiding me by the hand. The art style is terrific (the sound is far from good imo), but the art alone can't hide the shallow adventure game underneath.

I don't have a problem with A to B to C - I think that's how adventure games should be constructed. They've always been that way, it's the nature of the beast, and you'd miss out on a few of the more smile-inducing puzzles if you could bypass by guesswork.

I disagree. I prefer a game which is intelligently designed so that you have to solve the puzzle, rather than giving you an easy option but breaking the gameworld by not having it open.

In this case, Cywuhxieduxy needed to get a code. A code which he figured out for himself. And it didn't work. Is this a magic lock? I don't think it was. Why spoil the illusion?

What are you so happy about? All he's done is say he likes the faults that have been pointed out. He may like having to find pointless clues when there's a much simpler solution, but that would bore be rigid. And it has already been said the game can be completed in 5 hours. It's not a challenge is it? It sounds like a case of just clicking A to B to C without having to think at all, which is the shittest game design you can have. You're essentialy a spectator jumping through hoops to see the next bit of the story.

I'm happy to read a positive opinion about the game. He never said he likes 'faults', he said he likes the game.

The 'faults' are opinion. My opinion my differ (I hope).

Screw general opinion. If I went by other people's opinions I'd never buy anything.

If I didn't listen to other people's opinion I wouldn't own Hot Shots Golf which I love and I would have also bought a load of shit games in the past. Learn from other peoples' experiences man.

It's a shame because I was really looking forward to this yet Cyhwuhx's comments leave me with no doubt that I simply wouldn't like this game at all. It's not his opinion that the game forces you to find the puzzle and then the clue, it's fact, and I hate that. I want to carry loads of shit arround and try to combine them and figure stuff out using my imagination. I don't want to try and and pick something up and not be allowed, only to face a puzzle later and say to the game "I TOLD YOU I NEEDED THAT!!!".

I also wanted something that would last a while, not 5 hours. Christ, that's £5 an hour.

Cyhwuhx, could you tell me some of the puzzles and put them in spoiler tags? Just so I can get the idea of what we're talking about here.

I'm happy to read a positive opinion about the game. He never said he likes 'faults', he said he likes the game.

The 'faults' are opinion. My opinion my differ (I hope).

Fair enough, I just think that 5 hours gameplay which doesn't challenge you and simply becomes a case of fetching items without any thought to be a bit crap. I'm glad someone is enjoying it, but no adventure game I enjoyed ever featured these "faults".

So sorry to be pedantic, but I'm a she.

This sort of game is all ABOUT the story - you're going through the game, as with Shenmue, as if it were a movie, enacting pre-scripted scenes. This is not bad game design, this is a GENRE.

I fail to comprehend how this game's charm can be shunted aside due to a few features which could be considered faults, but in my opinion are features of the game system that deserve to be accomodated.

The only relevant criticism I have yet encountered here is that it's 5 hours long. Fair enough. But it's an enchanting and enthralling five hours. I can forgive it.

It's not his opinion that the game forces you to find the puzzle and then the clue, it's fact, and I hate that.

No, that's not his opinion -- it's his experience. Who's to say that you wouldn't come across the clue before the puzzle if you play it?

Your point about being thankful to have avoided a number of shit games because of other people's opinions is a real shame if it's similar to this situation. There are plenty of positive views out there concerning this game -- indeed Cyhwuhx's own colleague is about to rate it highly. Yes, you may have avoided some turkeys, but I bet that you will have missed out on one or two gems.

This sort of game is all ABOUT the story - you're going through the game, as with Shenmue, as if it were a movie, enacting pre-scripted scenes. This is not bad game design, this is a GENRE.

I will eat my socks covered in spunk* if it has a better story than Grim Fandango, Monkey Island, Sam n' Max, Full Throttle, Beneath A Steel Sky, Syberia, Broken Sword etc etc. All those games let you solve the game though and don't lead you by the hand.
No, that's not his opinion -- it's his experience. Who's to say that you wouldn't come across the clue before the puzzle if you play it?

I think the point is that you can't. You come across things that you can't pick up until you've found something that needs them.

*not a gaurantee

Cyhwuhx, could you tell me some of the puzzles and put them in spoiler tags? Just so I can get the idea of what we're talking about here.

.::: Ok, I'll do an early one.

Ok, that gate: six buttons and you can create a scale from it. You don't need an IQ of 100 to see that. It's just obvious on first sight. To actually 'know' it's a scale, you need to walk through a graveyard to a mining-site. I found a metal brush there, but culdn't pick it up. I did pick up a gear which was needed for the lock, so I returned and tried to open the lock, nothing. So I walk back and find another machine which has a plaque. But it's rusted over so I need *surprise!* a metal brush. Got it again, scrape the rust away, et voila *surprise! part deux* a scale. So now I return to the gate and lo!

It opens.

And this one is from about 80% in the game:

I pick up a lighter in a room and walk further. I enter a kitchen and I find a stove with a rusty knife in it. Again Ashley will not even think of picking it up. I walk onwards and come across a door which is locked off with a simple rope. My first idea was using the lighter.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that fire will not work on the rope at all and that I am instead required to pick up a rusty knive to cut the ropes in a Wario Ware style mini-game.

This one just completely baffled me:

You find a bottle with a letter in it. A bottle. What do you do with a glass bottle that has something in it and you don't care about what happens to the container? Exactly.

Not Ashley though, she prefers picking up a hammer first to smash the bottle into tiny pieces. Which of course, you couldn't pick up the first time you came across it.

So sorry to be pedantic, but I'm a she.

I fail to comprehend how this game's charm can be shunted aside due to a few features which could be considered faults, but in my opinion are features of the game system that deserve to be accomodated.

The only relevant criticism I have yet encountered here is that it's 5 hours long. Fair enough. But it's an enchanting and enthralling five hours. I can forgive it.

.::: If you like the story, fair cop. Personally, I didn't find it compelling at all and it's more in the saturday morning cartoon league for me. It certainly wasn't capable of carrying the entire weight of the game on it's shoulders imo.