rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Vemsie

Wind Waker - Great Touches And Moments

I finished this game once and never returned to it. Until recently. Playing through it again and I'm really loving it. I think this game will still look fresh in a time when other games of this gen look dated.

So lets talk about all the great touches and moments this game has to offer. I'll start with some small ones. The squid game at Windfall Island for instance. The game itself is nothing to write home about but the guy acting out his little scenario is brilliant. Very funny and full of character.

Another one of those nice little beats comes when you leave your island for the first time. The sudden change in Link's facial expression when he sees his grandma is very touching.

What a wonderful game.

His facial expressions full stop. Such a simple way of doing it, only seen it elsewhere in Grim Fandango but very effective. It was actually one of the first things I picked up on in a nerdy, pedantic way in that they show through his hair but if you can stop yourself being picky like that then it doesn't really matter. I think my favourite ones were when you were pressed against a wall and pressing left and right a tiny bit would make him look sneakily from side to side :D

Indeed a strong entry for most charmingly characterful game of this gen (and what the hell EVER).

I'll never forget the first time the skys turned black and that ginormous octopus reared out of the water slowly sucking you in as you depserately try to shoot out all of his eyes.

Magic.. :D

Maybe the most beautiful and touching game ever.

Link is so innocent and happy in the begining, skipping around sneaking up on pigs on his home island.

Stand out moments for me would be the second dungeon with the Leaf, gorgeous looking place. Real sense of a natural environment. And quite touching when the little things play you a tune at the end.

I also loved the Tower Of The Gods, amazing level design.

And the first time I saw a ghost ship I was stunned. :o

Its a game thats better than the sum of its parts.

A true Nintendo classic, forget you haters.

Great topic Vemsie :)

.::: *deep breath*

Ok, let's forget about the other stuff.

I just really, really, really liked the sailing. I could literally spend hours just sailing around, spotting a shape at the horizon and setting course.

Gave such a good sense of exploration.

I finished this game once and never returned to it. Until recently. Playing through it again and I'm really loving it. I think this game will still look fresh in a time where other games of this gen look dated.

So lets talk about all the great touches and moments this game has to offer. I'll start with some small ones. The squid game at Windfall Island for instance. The game itself is nothing to write home about but the guy acting out his little scenario is brilliant. Very funny and full of character.

Another one of those nice little beats comes when you leave your island for the first time. The sudden change in Link's facial expression when he sees his grandma is very touching.

What a wonderful game.

Hey, great timing! I just re-started this last week.

To be honest, I've had just as much fun playing Wind Waker as I had playing OoT. There are so many neat little touches that there are too many to list. I've made a lot more use of the Tingle-tuner this time around, I managed to get all the golden statues, and I've found the little green fella to be quite useful in some of the dungeons.

I'm doing the Tri-force collecting now and *shock* I'm really enjoying going around all the islands, updating my map, finding buried treasure and discovering secret caverns. I love that telescope guy who sounds llike he's wheezing to death when you talk to him ('HOOOOOO!') and check out his freaky luminescent viewing eye! And this game is also host to the most annoying/freakiest enemies ever in the form of those mini-goblins who make a 'Be-deep! Be-deep!' kinda noise. As soon as you hear that, you know you're in for a slaughter-thon.

Cliche I know, but my favourite bit is still Hyrule frozen in time. The music, the stained glass windows, the glimpse of Hyrule's mountainous terrain. Stunning...

So yeah, big fan. I'll be happy if Twilight Princess has half the character of this game.

Entering the first dungeon and seeing all those ash particles swirling in the air is a real wow moment.

Link trying to take on Ganon for the first time is ace as well. Brave little bugger. But absolutely futile. Luckily for him and Zelda the bird people (forget their name) appear to fly them to safety. And then the dragon appears...:o

Sailing along, the gulls following the boat, diving and gliding around the sail.

The eerie b+w section, as you move through the frozen castle and come across the statue of the hero of time.

The main town island 'Windfall Island' is it?

My favourite place.

Such a small island, perched on a rock, surrounded by sea. But so full of goodness. Hidden caves, pubs, camera shops, secret entrances, the sea lapping at the beach, prisons, towers, it just keeps on giving.

And this game is also host to the most annoying/freakiest enemies ever in the form of those mini-goblins who make a 'Be-deep! Be-deep!' kinda noise. As soon as you hear that, you know you're in for a slaughter-thon.

I found those fuckers scarier than Pyramid head.

If you want a little laugh, go into one of the boat shops and make Link face you, then press the L button to try and swing the camera around.

The main town island 'Windfall Island' is it?

My favourite place.

Such a small island, perched on a rock, surrounded by sea. But so full of goodness. Hidden caves, pubs, camera shops, secret entrances, the sea lapping at the beach, prisons, towers, it just keeps on giving.

The voyeuristic camera challenge was brilliant. :o

Annoying the big pig on your home island. Then realising he's actually got a bit of a temper.

I'd love to play another game with a similar feel to this actually. Any recommendations?

Maybe Beyond Good & Evil? It's certainly nowhere near as expansive though, I played it through twice and found everything there was to find, didn't seem much point playing it again after that. Good while it lasted though.

It also features perhaps the cutest thing EVER: Macar (sic).

Me and the bf both are transported into ecstasies of delight whenever he moves, makes noises etc etc.

Then again, we are flaming homos.

But my point is that there is a lot of cute stuff in the game.

Oh, another thing, the way Zelda kills Ganon is acers.

It has got to be said that Wind Waker has some of the finest "fuck me" type graphical moments this gen. A few of my personal standouts

Dragon Roost Island in general: Highlights include the spring with the huge number of volcanic ash particles swirling around and changing direction according to the wind currents. The lava filled rooms of the ensuiing dungeon, Voloo (I fucking love Voloo) and the mesmerising end boss.

The "Hanging Garden" Boss, fuck it, ALL the bosses.

The undersea hyrule temple, windfall island (looks just like a painting from the right distance) and the scale of Forsaken Fortress (with the wandering searchlights in the distance.

It has got to be said that Wind Waker has some of the finest "fuck me" type graphical moments this gen.  A few of my personal standouts

Dragon Roost Island in general:  Highlights include the spring with the huge number of volcanic ash particles swirling around and changing direction according to the wind currents.  The lava filled rooms of the ensuiing dungeon, Voloo (I fucking love Voloo) and the mesmerising  end boss.

Yep, stunning stuff.

i love the game. it has some flaws but it all holds together very well. artisitically beautiful, some of the dungeons are excellent (shame there were so few)

and yes i loved the sailing too. but i've always wanted to sail round the world.

The bosses are all aces but the common enemies are great as well. The Moblins and Stalfos in particular. I love it when they hit each other.

Nice that you can use their weapons as well. Seeing Link with a giant sword is cool.

And those counter attacks are wicked.