rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Ghost

War Of The Worlds

Just ended up watching this again. I was channel surfing and it had just started, the other half said she'd never seen it so I left it on.

Two things, it's much more of a survival horror than I remember. There's some good creepy scenes and some good end of the world society is fucked stuff.

And the ending is wank. That's something I didn't forget, but it was quiet good to see the other half getting into it just as the pace ramps up then suddenly, tripods dead. Morgan freeman says they don't have an immune system. Credits.

8 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

Morgan freeman says they don't have an immune system

I seem to remember it as "No immune system. Good job God!".  Which seems to be giving a bit too much credit to the almighty given the destruction and loss of life we've sat through for 2 hours.

14 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I seem to remember it as "No immune system. Good job God!".  Which seems to be giving a bit too much credit to the almighty given the destruction and loss of life we've sat through for 2 hours.

Isn’t it word for word from the book though? Which although seems a bit at odds with the shift to a modern day setting, I still think worked really well.

Anyway, seeing this thread pop back up reminded me of the BBC version that’s in the works. Has there been any word on when we’re likely to see it? It’ll be their big Christmas thing, won’t it?

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, JPL said:

Isn’t it word for word from the book though? Which although seems a bit at odds with the shift to a modern day setting, I still think worked really well.

I'm not 100% without checking but I assume so. The difference is that in the book it comes from character, since it's in first person.  A 19th century character at that.  Rather than a nice bit of Morgan Freeman gravitas to top off the film it felt like some batty preacher has been let into the sound booth.

I'd totally forgotten about the new series.  That's a period piece isn't it?  Quite looking forward to it.

18 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

I'm not 100% without checking but I assume so. The difference is that in the book it comes from character, since it's in first person.  A 19th century character at that.  Rather than a nice bit of Morgan Freeman gravitas to top off the film it felt like some batty preacher has been let into the sound booth.

I'd totally forgotten about the new series.  That's a period piece isn't it?  Quite looking forward to it.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I think it’s such a brilliant way to end the story and it’s really well written, so I can understand Speilberg wanting to put it in.

As for the BBC one, it is set in the right time period at last and that’s why I’m keen to see it. I just hope they’ve done it justice.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

Very possibly, I haven't read the book. I think it was more the way it was done. Everything just starts ramping up then all of a sudden it's finished with a wee synopsis at the end of why everything died. I think it was poorly handled and tainted the rest of the film.

11 minutes ago, Mr Tony said:

Very possibly, I haven't read the book. I think it was more the way it was done. Everything just starts ramping up then all of a sudden it's finished with a wee synopsis at the end of why everything died. I think it was poorly handled and tainted the rest of the film.

I thought it was the perfect ending to be honest. Really different from the ‘hero saves the day’ stuff we usually get from Hollywood. A very simple twist, that works really well.

They should have ditched all that shit with him getting his daughter back to her mum and the son turning up unscathed though. That’s not in the book.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JPL said:

I thought it was the perfect ending to be honest. Really different from the ‘hero saves the day’ stuff we usually get from Hollywood. A very simple twist, that works really well.

They should have ditched all that shit with him getting his daughter back to her mum and the son turning up unscathed though. That’s not in the book.

The son should have got fucked up and turned into fertiliser. His character was really annoying.

• Upvote 1

This is the last paragraph from the book:

’For so it had come about, as indeed I and many men might have foreseen had not terror and disaster blinded our minds. These germs of disease have taken toll of humanity since the beginning of things--taken toll of our prehuman ancestors since life began here. But by virtue of this natural selection of our kind we have developed resisting power; to no germs do we succumb without a struggle, and to many--those that cause putrefaction in dead matter, for instance--our living frames are altogether immune. But there are no bacteria in Mars, and directly these invaders arrived, directly they drank and fed, our microscopic allies began to work their overthrow. Already when I watched them they were irrevocably doomed, dying and rotting even as they went to and fro. It was inevitable. By the toll of a billion deaths man has bought his birthright of the earth, and it is his against all comers; it would still be his were the Martians ten times as mighty as they are. For neither do men live nor die in vain.’

Similar, but it does look like Speilberg added the bit about god!

• Upvote 3

I really liked this film when it came out but it really hasn't aged well. Bad CGI (apart from the great car scene), awful cinematography and it's really obvious that this was a quicky project for Spielberg. The scene with the red weeds looks terrible. I know that bit was a homage but it doesn't work at all here.

The God bit is in the 1953 movie as well, so it's probably half homage to that and Spielberg's own beliefs (someone else might have discarded the line).

2 hours ago, JPL said:

This is the last paragraph from the book:

’For so it had come about, as indeed I and many men might have foreseen had not terror and disaster blinded our minds. These germs of disease have taken toll of humanity since the beginning of things--taken toll of our prehuman ancestors since life began here. But by virtue of this natural selection of our kind we have developed resisting power; to no germs do we succumb without a struggle, and to many--those that cause putrefaction in dead matter, for instance--our living frames are altogether immune. But there are no bacteria in Mars, and directly these invaders arrived, directly they drank and fed, our microscopic allies began to work their overthrow. Already when I watched them they were irrevocably doomed, dying and rotting even as they went to and fro. It was inevitable. By the toll of a billion deaths man has bought his birthright of the earth, and it is his against all comers; it would still be his were the Martians ten times as mighty as they are. For neither do men live nor die in vain.’

Similar, but it does look like Speilberg added the bit about god!

Spoliers!

Sorry, that's a joke. I loved the book- the horse drawn artillery and other details gave it such a sense of time and place.There was a lot to like about the movie, and to dislike, but the abrupt ending seemed true to the book.

The Spielberg film certain has its flaws, but I remember thinking they absolutely nailed the sound design. Was very impressive on the big screen.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, lolly said:

Spoliers!

Sorry, that's a joke. I loved the book- the horse drawn artillery and other details gave it such a sense of time and place.There was a lot to like about the movie, and to dislike, but the abrupt ending seemed true to the book.

I hope the new adaptation has the boiling river. Can see the BBC skipping the odd ejaculation bit though.

4 hours ago, Benny said:

The Spielberg film certain has its flaws, but I remember thinking they absolutely nailed the sound design. Was very impressive on the big screen.

Still love the sound of the tripods from that film. The bit when they appear over the hill was especially chilling.

I watched this again last night and really enjoyed it, but it ends so abruptly as if there’s a whole third act missing. It really needed another big epic scene where it looks like Tom/humanity are finished before the legs are pulled from under the tripods. In the film Tom literally just walks around a corner.

The usual Spielberg family/home dysfunctional dynamic from  ET/CE3K is hinted at here but it’s broad quick brushstrokes.