IGNORED

Goodbye Edge

citation deducer

Oh come on. You can't "Edit" in such a wholesale fashion. Besides, it will annoy people if you just re-write their work. Otherwise you are going to have the Editor write all the reviews. Which means he needs to have played the games.

If he hasn't played the games, and re-writes the reviews from notes or from the original review, then you are bound to lose any enthusiasm generated. If not...well the guy is lying.

But the whole point is that the writing has to adhere to the Edge identity and style. They're going for a homogenous output, an Edge entity, so to speak. The individual writer is not the important one here, but rather the cohesive whole that the magazine adopts as its personality. When similar scoring games have wildly differing review styles then you have to wonder why they try to perprtuate this facade in the first place.

That's what I'm trying to get at here.

Maybe I'm the only one, but when I read GamesTM I'm constantly feeling "I can get this kind of badly written ill informed shit on the forums, and at least there people can actually answer back and point out a half-assed opinion when they see one".

No you're not the only one. That's how I have felt for some time.

But the whole point is that the writing has to adhere to the Edge identity and style. They're going for a homogenous output, an Edge entity, so to speak. The individual writer is not the important one here, but rather the cohesive whole that the magazine adopts as its personality. When similar scoring games have wildly differing review styles then you have to wonder why they try to perprtuate this facade in the first place.

That's what I'm trying to get at here.

I don't quite see your point/what you are getting at.

I said "It's like this because it's different people writing it". You don't agree?

What you are effectively saying is one of:

• The reviewers aren't given strict enough guidlines?
    The reviewers can't adhere to the guidlines?
    The editor has not enforced them well enough?
    The editor is not editing the reviews enough?
    You can't get the staff? ;)

In addition I think it's a little unfair comparing the Halo review to the RE4 review, when they are several years apart.

Back to my original point. You know why it sounds different? Because it's written by different people [i think!].

It's very difficult to edit vastly constrasting styles into generic ones. Plus I don't think you should over edit things, for a variety of reasons.

I think they "perpetuate this facade", because they have deadlines, because they can't all have the same person review everything, and because one would hope that people might not be so anal about it either? :D

I have read EDGE since issue 100 and I think that it is probably the best gaming magazine out there at the moment. Since the redesign though it has slipped slightly, I also enjoyed the Nagoshi column (and Lupin as well) and without them I just find the replacements stale and boring.

The fact that EDGE has a more adult tone, the fact that the reviewer of a game is never disclosed and the whole look to it, whilst good, does tie-in with what has been said about a lack of enthusiasm for what they are doing. As mentioned, the Resident Evil 4 EDGE review was lacking severely, especially seeing as they had glossed over it for months on end.

I have found that playing a hyped up game after buying it from the strength of the review and then re-reading the review to find that it has no enthusiasm whatsoever is something that EDGE is guilty of. The Doom 3 review for example, some reviews are if if they didn't even bother to play the game.

And let's not forget the spate of ratings that were 'inaccurate', I think they gave GTA a six or something when it should have been an eight, cannot remember fully. Yet despite these flaws I still only read EDGE.

It really, really isn't.

If you have said experience in it, then I stand corrected. Doesn't it pi** the original writer off though?

Which means Squirtle thinks that *ding* *ding* *ding*

• "The Editor isn't doing their job"

Notice, Squirtle implied that, not me. I just formalised it into wyrds.

As an aside, Disciple, I said compare the Stranger's Wrath review with the RE4. Both recent. Both 9. Very different level of enthusiasm.

I was under the impression that Edge was always supposed to be Edge and not an amalgamation of different journo's. Hence no names on reviews or features etc. It's written by Edge. But Edge can sometimes be seemingly quite schizophrenic sometimes. Maybe the faceless Edge style is unmanageable when it comes down to it.

As an aside, Disciple, I said compare the Stranger's Wrath review with the RE4. Both recent. Both 9. Very different level of enthusiasm.

I was under the impression that Edge was always supposed to be Edge and not an amalgamation of different journo's. Hence no names on reviews or features etc. It's written by Edge. But Edge can sometimes be seemingly quite schizophrenic sometimes. Maybe the faceless Edge style is unmanageable when it comes down to it.

I think you make a good point about reviews mind, if what you say is true (I don't pay THAT much attention, it doesn't overly bother me middlecore person that I am).

They don't make up that much of the magazine..

Perhaps to edit huge swathes of features would be trickier. Focus on the reviews for the style, as that is where ye shall be judged. As ye are now.

TBH, the only reasons I continue to subscribe to Games Tm are

1 - the excellent retro section (and I would still be saying that even if Strider didn't read this forum)

2 - To get a different opinion on game apart from Edges

Games Tm is a funny old mag. Far too much in one issue, a silly amount of previews, variable qulaity reviews (the writing on the Medal of Honour EA review is some of the worst I have ever seen in any magazine ever) and a terrible layout.

Still, some issues are MUCH better than others.

GamesTM is just awful lately, boring and just doesn't make me want to buy it at all.

Edge has a lack of reviews lately, I'll buy it twice every three months on average, like, this month it doesn't interest me at all. Last months's did because it had a feature on the awesome Alone In The Dark, this month's is GTAIII, which I'm not a fan of.

I think you make a good point about reviews mind, if what you say is true (I don't pay THAT much attention, it doesn't overly bother me middlecore person that I am).

They don't make up that much of the magazine..

Perhaps to edit huge swathes of features would be trickier. Focus on the reviews for the style, as that is where ye shall be judged. As ye are now.

The reviews have been totally joyless of late. Have you read the Area 51 one? Sheesh.

The edge house style has always stood out as being dead-pan relative to other magazines if only because most of them are so utterly hyper-active syrup for blood juvenile.

However the reviews have been notably anaethitised in tone the last few months. A stand out for me was not the RE4 review but the Halflife 2 one, which recieved a ten, and had a review that was barely two pages and compared to the other 'ten' reviews sounded like it was being written by a goth teenager on the first night of a familly camping trip.

Which is actually sad because the edge style (which I like) needs avenues to unleash the kiddie glee factor, and halflife 2 was a prime oppertunity.

I blame the new editor, as it has been pretty synonimous with his reign, and seems to permeate the reviews in general.

Also the edge halflife 2 review was written by the same journo for all the future publishing titles and if you look at it compared to all the others you get a pretty clear indicator of what each editor wants from thier writers.

If you compare what was written for PC Gamer (long, hugely entusiatic, colloquial, humourous, warm) then edge, you get quite a nice symbol of the problem at large.

I find GamesTM an ok read, I prefer EDGE's more 'serious' approach, though it sometimes can seem a little up its own arse. I enjoy the reviews and find they 'agree' with my own opinions most of the time. Plus the features/guest columns entertain me a fair bit.

What really gets me is GamesTM is sometimes I get a feeling that they don't know what they're on about sometimes, e.g. in the retro section a while back they mentioned that the 'robot' player characters/enemies in the PAL version of Contra detract from the experience a bit. Player characters, fair dues, but the enemies are exactly the same in both versions!

I find GamesTM an ok read, I prefer EDGE's more 'serious' approach, though it sometimes can seem a little up its own arse. I enjoy the reviews and find they 'agree' with my own opinions most of the time. Plus the features/guest columns entertain me a fair bit.

What really gets me is GamesTM is sometimes I get a feeling that they don't know what they're on about sometimes, e.g. in the retro section a while back they mentioned that the 'robot' player characters/enemies in the PAL version of Contra detract from the experience a bit. Player characters, fair dues, but the enemies are exactly the same in both versions!

Sadly that was what's known as a human error. Our sub-editor assumed I was talking about both the enemies and the human players and amended the text accordingly and I didn't pick up on it until the mag was out.

Now if you're looking for a total fuck up you'll be wanting to hunt down the issue where I mentioned that Super Metroid was made by Sonic Team :P

Sadly that was what's known as a human error. Our sub-editor assumed I was talking about both the enemies and the human players and amended the text accordingly and I didn't pick up on it until the mag was out.

Now if you're looking for a total fuck up you'll be wanting to hunt down the issue where I mentioned that Super Metroid was made by Sonic Team  :D

Somehow, I missed that!

JESUS :D

Having not read Games since the first four or five issues, this may not be accurate, but I found their reviews to be more entertaining than Edge's, but their features to be poorer.

I would've gone for a full two-magazine diet to ensure my RDA of enjoyment but I'm remarkably lazy.

In addition to this, am I the only person who thinks Probotector > Contra, then? Because I'd prefer to play Probotector any day of the week.

At least PC Zone has personality.

PG Gamer it too dry for me.

PC Gamer is much much improved these days. PC Zone has really gone of the rails for me.