3 Disc Brazil Set

Life of Brian

Fear and Loating in Las Vegas

Slacker

Videodrome

The Royal tennebaums

The Beastie Boys videos collection

and thier laserdisc edition of Close Encounters of the Third Kind

All of which I can wholeheartedly recommend.

Beautiful packaging, intelligent and exclusive extras, and usually excellent print and sound quality, with films presented in the proper aspact ratios as intended by the directors.

They really are the very best when it comes to DVD's that you can be proud of owning.

depends on what you like, i have:

ikaru

seven samurai

notorius

l'avventura

8 1/2

the royal tenanbuams

silence of the lambs

tokyo story

do the right thing

and they are pretty good. And the cover art is almost always superior to the vanilla releases

seven samurai

They're bringing out a new edition later in the year, mind. And a new Wages of Fear, which is a good thing because it's an awesome film and one of the worst Criterion DVDs. The Bergman DVDs are worth getting, especially the box set of Fanny and Alexander, as well as the faith trilogy box set, but they don't exactly sit comfortably in a collection that has the The Rock and Armageddon.

I already got Robocop (Well it is in boxset)

the robocop criterion is the only Certificate X version you can find (i'm sure)

loads more violence - especially when murphy gets killed

i've got 5 criterions

Robocop

Armageddon

the rock

royal tenenbaums

straw dogs

The Criterion boxset of Fanny and Alexander is stupendous, with both the 5-hour and 3-hour cuts of the film included, and it can be found for less than £25 - a steal. Oh, and their recent release of Jules et Jim is fantastic.

Regarding Brazil; the boxset as a whole is pretty good, but the non-anamorphic transfer of the film itself is somewhat tired, although, given that a good third of Criterion's back catalogue needs to be revisted more urgently, don't hold your breath for a Brazil remaster this side of the next disc format.

Those with an interest in Criterion ought to check out our native Eureka Video's Masters of Cinema line, which is also doing sterling work.

The full uncut version got released now anyway, with all the ultra violence in.

Thats what I thought.I bought the Criterion DVD when it came out and the box set on R1 and thought they were now the same version.

The only other Criterion one I have is the original Silence of the Lambs.Always meant to sell them when they were worth a lot but never got round to it.

My Criterion Collection consists of:

Solaris

Naked Lunch

The Royal Tenenbaums

The Third Man

Videodrome

The Vanishing

And possibly some others I'm forgetting. The only one I can't recommend is The Vanishing, which is a curiously bare release with a shoddy transfer and no extras to speak of. The crown in the collection is Videodrome, which is superlative.

The only one I can't recommend is The Vanishing, which is a curiously bare release with a shoddy transfer and no extras to speak of.

While I'm sure Crispin is correct about the technical details of the Criterion edition, I'm sure he meant to add that everyone should watch the Vanishing in whatever edition you can, because it's unforgettably super. The "original" Vanishing, in foreign, and not the American remake, possibly starring Jeff Bridges, naturellement.

• 1 month later...

Didn't discover the beauty of these 'til recently so I've only got Videodrome, The Royal Tenenbaums and Eyes Without A Face (I'd never heard of this before buying it but can HIGHLY recommend it). I can feel myself getting addicted to them though. Been eyeing up the John Cassavetes box set.. If only I could justify £70 for it.

• 11 years later...