When Good Games Turn Great

Tomdominer

I'm tempted to say Skies of Arcadia, because once Vyse leaves Pirate Isle the game just becomes amazing, you suddenly realise how large your quest is going to be.

On the other hand though, the beginning 2-3 hours arent exactly rubbish, leads you into the story very nicely.

Oh yes, it really started to click for me when you are able to start taking over territory and then go to the Badlands.

Going up Mount Chilliad in the dark and actually watching the sunrise was quite ace as well.

Also agreed. It keeps on giving, and that made me even more happier I shelled out for it because it was (and still is) worth every penny.

Also Metal Gear Solid's first person bit at the end of the game. That was pretty special. Oh, and of course, Area 5 on Rez. It's mentioned in legend many times over, and a big screen and sound system will ensure the experience stays in your mind for some time.

Any of the 3D GTAs when you start to know the layout. The transformation from "Drive the fuck away!" to "Lure the bastards to the docks!" just knocks it up a level.

Even better when the game is San Andreas. It's so massive, yet after hours of play you know the layout, you know the landmarks... and yet there's still stuff to find.

Great games, thanks for making this thread, it has really reminded me of what I love about games.  :lol:

I'm genuinely touched.

I haven't noticed anyone else comment on Mario Kart 64: Battle Mode, which is a bit of a shame. I hope to GOD that it runs at 60FPS on the Revolution because the terrible and fluctuating frame rate coupled with the painfully slow movement puts 99% of people off it at first.

I can’t recommend it more highly, it has tactics and strategies well in advance of most death match play (you could basically fight with any weapon, when you got good, even the banana) and the fact you are battling in vehicles!

I was so devastated when Nintendo dumbed down the Gamecube version. :)

Ooh, Gunstar Heroes, when you first get onto the final "boss marathon" on hard mode, you realise how your life has been building up to completing this.

Haha, aye! An achievement rivalled only by finishing Super Probotector on hard mode (single credit, naturally). :D

Halo 2 goes from enjoyable-enough FPS to all-out involving romp in co-op. Same for Halo 2.

Hmm? :D

Anyway, I'll add Jet Set Radio for it's brilliant Bantam and Grind Square levels - it really showed off the beauty and scale of the game and made it even better, Metal Slug 3 for it's finale against the aliens - just when you thought all the fights would be the same from start to finish, this happens; and Psi-Ops for the moment when you have complete knowledge of your abilities and effortlessly switch between them with ease, opening up the game and providing great scope for improvised problem solving (or accidental gnome-finding.)

Guest NickG

Advance Wars. 1 or 2. In fact 1, then 2. God, they're great. Two games that I continue to play, sometimes for hours at a time literally years after release, and that's something you can say for very few single player games.

And totally agree about sections of Stranger's Wrath - an underrated classic, that one.

Gran Turismo springs to mind - when I got a decent Impreza (high gear ratios) and 'got' cornering:

Brake - weight shifts forwards onto front wheels - turn - and away!

Not rocket science but it made all the difference.

final fantasy tactics (ps one): after the 1st battle, you can quickly blow through the next 3 but then get your ass handed to you on a platter in the 'the slums of dorter' (5th mission).

the coordination of the enemy forces in that battle quickly forces to you consider how important it is to develop your characters along certain paths for job classes and how wonderfully deep the gameplay truly is.

When we discovered the sliding crouch in GoldenEye, we all cried with laughter for hours.

Wow, exactly the same here!

I was with two other people when we discovered it, and one of those people is now unfortunately dead, yet that day we played crouching back-slapping Goldeneye with him and another mate remains oddly one of my fondest memories of childhood.

Fantastic memories

The sliding crouching in Goldeneye was superb.. My mates n I used to have a special way of saying 'sorry' for a cheap kill.. Slide up to them, looking down so your head looks like its hung in shame, then once at their feet, looking up slowly and saying 'sorry'.. god it was so funny, but i guess it was the weed/booze/you had to be there kinda thing :P

San Andreas. You settle in your 'hood and drive around with you homeys and have a gay ol' time. And then it starts opening up...

Yup, I'm experiencing that too, just discovered the huge country side... :P But even the first few missions with your gang were ace. Beating up crack dealers, buying some new clothes, gaining respect from your brother, it just feels right.

Venturing outside in the pouring rain in zelda on the snes, finding your way into the castle and getting your first treasure chest - de de de dah! The way that game opens up is just magic, this is still my finest gaming memory from my gaming childhood. I wouldn't stop until I'd unearthed everything the game had to offer. Just thinking about it means I'm now going to have to dig out the snes from the attic and start again.

One hell of an adventure, can't wait for the new one. I got horribly lost and gave up with the wind waker, I hope the new one has more direction. Zelda. Wow.

Outcast. The first area (that snowy village) was just a training area, a bit boring, and a bit small. Then I reached the first proper area and I went "WOW this is f*cking HUGE". At first I was a bit hesitant to stray from the obvious paths or venturing into heavily guarded territory, but after playing for a couple of hours, I became more confident and started properly exploring and 'cleaning up' all the areas. The game went from 'great' to "AMAZING' after that.