IGNORED

Arctic Monkeys

biggerbob

I heard their number 1 single and thought they were good. Heard their whole load of other songs, and now think they're ace. I know there's a bit of hype, but I was still taken aback by the quality of some of their songs. Plus, live they're practically perfect.

I'm not a Libertines fan, but the only time Alex reminds me of Pete's voice is on Mardy Bum, especially with "I see you frown and it's like looking down a barrel of a gun...and it goes off"........and "It was up up and away".

Link to many Arctic Monkeys songs

Link to many Arctic Monkeys songs

Fake Tales Of San Francisco

From The Rubble To The Ritz

Dancing Shoes

Bigger Boys & Stolen Sweethearts

Vampires

Mardy Bum

When the Sun Goes Dwon (Scummy)

A Certain Romance

I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor

Wavin' Bye To The Train Or The Bus

Still Take You Home

...all great songs. A must is From the Rubble to The Ritz. The beginning lyrics are ace. Practically every song (bar a few) are in those links.

I still haven't heard the song. I'm so excited by this. I'm now at that stage where I'm unable to keep up with 'yooth culture'. I never thought I'd abstain from suicide attempts long enough to see the day. When people ask me about the so-called Arctic Monkeys, I can just give them a look of confusion.

I'm unlucky enough to have heard the second Libertines album, though. And that was proper shit (for which I blame The Other One's lack of talent rather than the world's most famous junkie).

Indeed. And they replaced the chav-bashing verse from Bigger Boys with something that implies that Bigger Boy is a bit of a paedophile, which is a bit disturbing.

But those links Broken Klassic posted have a lot of good tunes, which makes me hopeful for their future. I Bet That You Look Good on the Dancefloor is far from their best tune by anyone's standards.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bumping but while watching Jools right now I've only just notciced that I know the lead singer. Obviously I don't know him too closely or I would have known he was famous before now :o He was in the year above me at school 2 or 3 years ago and kind of in my circle of friends. That's about as close to someone relatively famous as I get...

Well done son! They're quite good as well.

Sorry for bumping but while watching Jools right now I've only just notciced that I know the lead singer. Obviously I don't know him too closely or I would have known he was famous before now -_- He was in the year above me at school 2 or 3 years ago and kind of in my circle of friends. That's about as close to someone relatively famous as I get...

Well done son! They're quite good as well.

Someone posted about their brother knowing the drummer and saying he was a twat. He seems it.

Speaking of which, mentioned this to they guy with me when I saw them BEFORE THEY WERE FAMOUS BECAUSE IM TOTALLY TWEE AS FUCK and he said that someone offered the drummer a pint and he politely replied : "I cawn get me awn fanks" or something Sheffieldian. I was obviously chatting up hot indie chicks or in the bog, but he clealrly noticed them being a bit 'up themselves' when seemingly mingling.

They used to go to my whole school - Stocksbridge. In fact they were in my brothers year.

In his words, the drummer "is a dick"

That's all I know about them.

They were in the year below me at that particularly shitty school too. Never knew any of them myself, but all I seem to hear from my mates these days is one of them 'is a dick' or 'a top lad'.

Personally, I think they're a bit shit. Still nice to see people who suffered spending copious amounts of time in Stocksbridge doing good for themselves. There's hope for me yet!

It's being said by people who could give a shit that the finished album tracks aren't as good as the demos. Don't tell me they got Mick Jones in as producer?

Sure they are the people who give a shit and not people who 'want to be different'?

For anyone interested, here's the Monkey's 31st of Jan-released debut album titled 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not', each song separately downloadable from http://www.megaupload.com/.

Edit: Don't link to torrents or the pages they live on. We allow mention of torrent sites now because of common sense, but you're pushing this further. -Alan

Not listened to them yet (just bought the Strokes album), but I gather the majority of songs have been re-recorded. Anyone still curious of the Arctic Monkeys need only follow the links...

21. Presuming your younger than me, was Mr Archer still a complete cock?

Yes, although Mr. Coleman was much, much worse if you know him.

That woman who has been teaching R.E. for about 97 years (who's name escapes me) retired a year ago according to my brother who's still there anyway. I left in 2002.

Yes, although Mr. Coleman was much, much worse if you know him.

That woman who has been teaching R.E. for about 97 years (who's name escapes me) retired a year ago according to my brother who's still there anyway. I left in 2002.

Noooo Miss Charlesworth cant retire! Used to love her lessons. Always knew I could have an hour's relax.

Never suffered from Mr Coleman thankfully. I had Mr Archer for PE, AND as a form teacher :P

• 4 weeks later...

They are definitely worth seeing, yes.

To be honest, it's not really my sort of music but I must admit I was blown away when I saw them live. For such a young and raw band their set was amazingly tight and the sound was fantastic given the small venue. Great banter with the crowd and some songs that you'll be singing the choruses too the first time you hear them. If these guys don't go huge on the back of their previous support of the Monkeys than I'd be very surprised.

No doubt we'll get the usual "Oh they've just copied the AM and aren't anywhere near as good", but I saw Milburn long before I really knew much about the Arctic Monkeys and of the songs I've heard Milburn are the better band.

Different strokes for different folks though, eh?