rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Watchmen

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=22502

While Zack Snyder (300) is expected to reveal his Watchmen cast at the San Diego Comic-Con this week, a handful of actors have already been leaked.

You can now add to the line-up Matthew Goode (The Lookout, Match Point) as Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias, as revealed by IESB.net. This is in addition to Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach, Billy Crudup as Dr. Manhattan, Patrick Wilson as Nite Owl, and Malin Ackerman as Silk Spectre.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_c...0&Itemid=99

Looks like Wilson is all but confirmed -

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?...035&count=0

Even though Zack Snyder (300) has been promising to reveal the cast of the upcoming "Watchmen" movie during Comic-Con, IGN did a little announcing of their own.

The site was among the press outlets invited to the set of director Neil Labute's thriller "Lakeville Terrace," where they had the chance to talk to co-stars Patrick Wilson and Kerry Washington.

Wilson smiled when pressed about "Watchmen" but he did subtly acknowledge the casting at one point. He was interviewed inside an elementary school auditorium where, on a wall across from where Wilson was sitting, there was a collection of kid's artwork. While being grilled about the "Watchmen" casting rumors, Wilson pointed towards one of the artworks, which was titled "Owl's Hollow." Wilson then chuckled, ""

Wilson's leading lady Kerry Washington was more direct. Indeed, she unwittingly outed him as Nite Owl! "I keep teasing him," Washington began. "Whenever he eats candy or something, I go, 'You're playing a superhero. I don't think you should be eating pretzels.'"

Warner Bros. Pictures has confirmed the cast for Watchmen, the big screen adaptation of the seminal DC Comics limited series.

Patrick Wilson, Jackie Earle Haley, Matthew Goode, Billy Crudup, Jeffrey Dean Morgan ("Grey's Anatomy") and Malin Akerman will star in the Warner Bros. movie, which Zack Snyder is directing. Larry Gordon, Lloyd Levin and Deborah Snyder are producing.

Set in an alternate America, Watchmen follows costumed hero Rorschach, who is living a vigilante lifestyle because most masked heroes have retired or been outlawed. While investigating a murder, Rorschach learns that a former masked-hero colleague has been killed, prompting him to begin investigating a possible conspiracy.

Haley will play Walter Kovacs, aka Rorschach, who ignores the ban on costumed vigilantes.

Crudup will play Dr. Manhattan, a superpowered being with godlike powers and temperament.

Akerman will play Laurie Juspeczyk/the Silk Spectre, who is involved with Dr. Manhattan -- but that relationship begins to fall apart as he becomes more disconnected from humanity.

Goode will play Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias, a costumed adventurer who retired voluntarily, disclosed his identity and built a large fortune. He hatches a plot to avert a global catastrophe he believes will be caused by Dr. Manhattan.

Wilson will play the Nite-Owl, a crime-figher who uses technical wizardry and has an owl-shaped flying vehicle.

Morgan will play the Comedian, a cigar-chomping, gun-toting vigilante-turned-paramilitary agent.

Watchmen was created by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.

any watchmen film wont be watchmen, but that doesnt mean it will be shit.

Shouldnt call it f**kin watchmen then :unsure::lol: Call it

"They used to old retired superheroes, now their young retired Superheroes movies which is somewhat missing the point THE MOVIE", any resemblance to any character in the comic book Watchmen is purely accidental.

What an absolute shower of shite.

I'm hardly the biggest fan of Watchmen or Alan Moore in general but, fuck me, they could at least bloody try to do it right. Casting people from Grey's Anatomy of all things? Christ.

So how bad are we thinking it's going to be? V for Vendetta bad? Or LXG bad?

As an aside why does the thread title still say Watchman Movie?

Well somebody has to stick up for the casting so I'll give it a go. Sure, most of the cast are a lot younger than they should be but Jackie Earle Haley is fantastic casting for Rorschach and by far the best choice of the ones that were banded about when the film was first announced. Likewise I think Crudup is a solid choice for Dr Manhattan - hell it could have been Keanu ffs. Whilst I still think John Cusack was born to play Night Owl I have always been incredibly impressed by Patrick Wilson in every film I have seen him in. There are a few fairly unknown quantities with the other cast members but I'll give Snyder the benefit of the doubt for now.

But really the casting is the least of the projects problems. How they are going to do justice to the graphic novel whilst also making a good film in its own right is an almost impossible task.

They may have cast younger actors because the comic took place over a long period of time - if they're using a lot of flashbacks, it's probably easier to make young actors look old than it is to make old actors look young.

From Comic Con via comingsoon.net

Zack Snyder Talks Watchmen!

Source: Edward Douglas

July 27, 2007

Filmmaker Zack Snyder (300), who is set to direct Warner Bros. Pictures' feature film adaptation of the award-winning graphic novel Watchmen, today announced the cast of the highly anticipated epic before 6,500 fans during a presentation at this year's Comic-Con International convention in San Diego, California. Watchmen will be produced by Lawrence Gordon (Die Hard), Lloyd Levin (United 93) and Deborah Snyder (300), with Herbert W. Gains serving as executive producer. The film is targeted for a March 6, 2009, release, which was revealed on a Comic-Con poster (see below).

Playing the film's core group of "masks," the masked adventurers at the center of the story, are Malin Akerman (upcoming The Heartbreak Kid) as Laurie Juspeczyk, aka Silk Spectre; Billy Crudup (The Good Shepherd) as Jon Osterman, aka Dr. Manhattan; Matthew Goode (Match Point) as Adrian Veidt, aka Ozymandias; Jackie Earle Haley (Little Children) as Walter Kovacs, aka Rorschach; Jeffrey Dean Morgan (TV's "Grey's Anatomy") as Edward Blake, aka the Comedian; and Patrick Wilson (Little Children) as Dan Dreiberg, aka Nite Owl.

A complex, multi-layered mystery adventure, Watchmen is set in an alternate 1985 America in which costumed superheroes are part of the fabric of everyday society, and the "Doomsday Clock" - which charts the USA's tension with the Soviet Union - is permanently set at five minutes to midnight. When one of his former colleagues is murdered, the washed-up but no less determined masked vigilante Rorschach sets out to uncover a plot to kill and discredit all past and present superheroes. As he reconnects with his former crime-fighting legion - a ragtag group of retired superheroes, only one of whom has true powers - Rorschach glimpses a wide-ranging and disturbing conspiracy with links to their shared past and catastrophic consequences for the future. Their mission is to watch over humanity...but who is watching the watchmen?

Watchmen was originally published by DC Comics as a 12-comic book series between 1986 and 1987, before subsequently being collected into a trade paperback. It is the only graphic novel to win the prestigious Hugo Award or to be named among Time magazine's "100 Best English Language Novels from 1923 to the Present."

Snyder told the audience that the production is currently building sets in Vancouver, including a New York City backlot. In the film, they are not going to Antarctica and Mars. They are going to shoot it visually like the graphic novel because that's important. They will take the drawings and film them even though they'll be using sets not green/blue screen like 300.

He said they wanted to cast real actors, not get a cast for marketing reasons, much like 300. He said he cast younger actors because there's a lot of flashbacks in the graphic novel and he didn't want to hire two actors for the parts. Instead he got actors in the middle to age them up and down depending on what's happening.

Dr. Manhattan is going to be a full 3D CG performance capture of Crudup though the old John is going to be Billy Crudup as he is. They are not going to have Crudup in blue paint like Blue Man Group. They'll have to do it CG to make him glow and to have him grow.

Patrick Wilson as Nite Owl will age a little and will be slightly older than in real life.

We'll see the Comedian, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, from 19 years old to his '60s, throughout his life, in Vietnam, etc.

300 and A History of Violence star Stephen McHattie will play Hollis Mason.

Snyder added he talks to Dave Gibbons all the time. "He's read the script and he's into it."

In the film, they are not going to Antarctica and Mars.

I suppose the denoument could happen anywhere but missing out the Mars chapter is a huge loss.

Yeah, the chapter on Mars with Dr. Manhattan talking remembering his birth, the broken watch, the torn photograph and all that is just about my favourite comic ever written. I suppose the location of Adrians fortress isn’t important.

I wonder what else will get cut; I can’t see the newspaper man stuff of the Black Freighter stuff making it.

I'd much rather have pretty much unknowns playing the roles than established actors. I agree thatJohn Cusack would have been good as Nightowl but he'd have still been Cusack playing Nightowl. With someone you don't know as well they can be Nightowl. I also like the idea of taking actors and aging them. I aways hate it when you have 2 different actors for the two ages of people as they never look similar enough or if they are really similar opne will be a really shit actor who only got the role for their look.

I think it still has potential to be a great film. It won't be the same as the comic, it cant be and we shouldn't expect it to be but it could still be a shite load better than most films Hollywood is making these days.

I'd much rather have pretty much unknowns playing the roles than established actors. I agree thatJohn Cusack would have been good as Nightowl but he'd have still been Cusack playing Nightowl. With someone you don't know as well they can be Nightowl. I also like the idea of taking actors and aging them. I aways hate it when you have 2 different actors for the two ages of people as they never look similar enough or if they are really similar opne will be a really shit actor who only got the role for their look.

I think it still has potential to be a great film. It won't be the same as the comic, it cant be and we shouldn't expect it to be but it could still be a shite load better than most films Hollywood is making these days.

Exactly my thoughts, I just hope they give him the money do what he wants with the Black Freighter stuff. From what he said in the Chud and AICN interviews they seem to be letting him do what he wants, smart thing to do after the success of 300.