rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Watchmen

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/796/796814p1.html

Watchmen? Whoa!

Keanu passes on playing Dr. Manhattan.

June 15, 2007 - Although Keanu Reeves was rumored to be the frontrunner to play the god-like Dr. Manhattan in director Zack Snyder's movie adaptation of the classic graphic novel Watchmen, word has arrived that The Matrix star will not be in the long-awaited film after all.

In an email to the fansite Club-Keanu.com, Reeves' longtime manager Erwin Stoff revealed that the Speed actor "was offered it and turned it down." No reason was given for Reeves' decision to pass on the film. It should be noted that Reeves is a self-professed comic book fan, which makes his decision all the more curious.

Some good news at least, I have a dull glimmer of hope that he refused the part precisely because he's a comic book fan and knew he couldn't do it justice, or that the entire film is just a bad idea.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?...444&count=0

SuperHeroHype! spoke to Patrick Wilson (Hard Candy) to find out whether there is any truth to him taking the role of Nite Owl in Zach Snyder's adaptation of Alan Moore's "Watchmen."

While he never actually confirmed his participation, his hints were enough to get the message across. "I don't know if I'm allowed to talk about this stuff," explained Wilson. "It's been confirmed on a lot of websites, I'll just say that."

Judging by most of the interview, Wilson is extremely excited about the project and is very well aware of the material. "Both the movie script and the original graphic novel is pretty phenomenal writing."

And the last hint dropped that confirms that he is on board: "It's just out of respect for them trying to get everybody else on board before I go ahead and blab my mouth."

I think it's pretty clear that we will be seeing Wilson in the film, and it's just a matter of time before more of the cast are announced. Stay tuned.

As the piece says, more than a pinch of salt to be taken with this but ........

Regular reader Antonello alerted me to a rumoured Watchmen cast list. Of course, I haven't been able to confirm it, so take it for what it is: a group of actors who may or may not have signed, or be in talks, but that certain whispering voices insist is 100% genuine. Of course, it is almost certainly not genuine at all and is a combination of already exisiting rumours and fanboy wish fulfillment. Why so many Little Children alum? It's not Little Children was any good or anything.

We'll soon know more Watchmen casting for sure, but myself... I'd like to believe this list. Not least because I don't have much patience for weeks of rumours and I'd just like to see it all locked off as soon as possible.

Snyder's clearly a talented filmmaker but, honestly, this isn't going to touch the book. It will probably end up looking really very redundant.

Here's the list:

Kate Winslet as Silk Spectre

Patrick Wilson as Night Owl

Jason Patric as Dr. Manhattan

Jude Law as Ozymandias

Thomas Jane as The Comedian

Jeremy Irons as Moloch

Virginia Madsen as Sally Jupiter

Jonah Hill as Seymour

Henry Gibson as Mr. Figure

William Fichtner as Detective Fine

Noah Emmerich as Captain Metropolis

Gretchen Mol as Janey Slater

[EDIT: And the same list now appears to have turned up on a Russian site, which adds a certain amount of fuel to the fire, don'tcha think?]

http://www.filmick.co.uk/2007/06/nice-big-...-cast-cake.html

I was going to say Thomas Jane was too young to play The Comedian, but presumably that'll be in flashback. Who's Mr Figure? He wasn't in the comic was he?

Hmm, I could definitely live with that cast if it were true.

I hope Snyder does right by this film. I think the only way it has a chance of doing well is if he acknowledges that he can't make a film version of Watchmen. It's impossible. If he draws on it though, using the characters and plots as a loose framework, he may just make something interesting. Fingers crossed.

Hmm, I could definitely live with that cast if it were true.

I hope Snyder does right by this film. I think the only way it has a chance of doing well is if he acknowledges that he can't make a film version of Watchmen. It's impossible. If he draws on it though, using the characters and plots as a loose framework, he may just make something interesting. Fingers crossed.

Yeah bang on. It will not be the same as the comic and will not be as good but as long as he gets characters and themes right I don't mind if he plays around with the story to get it to fit 2ish hours. If he gets this right he could make a great film.

So is Comic-Con like E3? Are there live streams for the press conferences? The website isn't really clear.

Unfortunately not. The usual suspects (AICN, Coming Soon, CHUD etc.) will have write-ups and some footage might leak, but that's it I'm afraid.