rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Watchmen

hmm, he seems a bit... um... not that clever?

I haven't seen 300... but is he good enough to do the book justice?

EDIT: that's probably a bit mean, at least he's talking about staying faithful to the original period etc, but... he says 'awesome' so much...

Sounds to me like he's more of a type of geek who's not so used to talking publicly, which actually gives me hope as to the kind of director he is. He's also trying to describe the complexities of Watchman to an audience who won't have a fucking clue, which is pretty hard to do if you don't have half an hour to spare :)

Sounds to me like he's more of a type of geek who's not so used to talking publicly, which actually gives me hope as to the kind of director he is. He's also trying to describe the complexities of Watchman to an audience who won't have a fucking clue, which is pretty hard to do if you don't have half an hour to spare :)

True, I was thinking I kinda like him more in retrospect, his ability to express himself on the spot like that shouldn't really be what i judge his directorial skills on, that'll be 300! :P . So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he does it justice!

I'm a bit encouraged after watching the interview. I'm upgrading my prediction from a Judge Dredd to a V for Vendetta - a noble attempt with good things about it, but still a bit of a letdown.

Hey there.

Ooops!

Despin out.

;)

Seriously though Despin, what does your post even SAY?

To what are you refering ?

Would you care to expand beyond "Ooops!"?

:lol:

Imagine the scene...man rebuilds himself from the atomic level, first thing he says is "whoah!"

Fucking Keanu Reeves...<insert shaking head smiley>

oh crap

A longtime source reared his head today and passed on a few tips about faces we’re likely to see in WATCHMEN when Zack Snyder’s film version of the long-in-development graphic novel adaptation finally makes its way to the screen in 2008, and some of it’s surprising, while some of it isn’t at all.

Right now, there are offers out to three people to join the cast. If the studio’s gotten to the point where they’re officially making an offer, you can expect that these people will most likely make it into the film.

So that means we’ll see The Prom King, Patrick Wilson, suit up as Night Owl. I think he’s a great choice for Dan, and all you need to do is look at the work he did in LITTLE CHILDREN as an example of the sort of quiet sadness he’ll bring to the role.

Dr. Manhattan is a tricky part, and there’s something alien and otherworldly about him. Keanu Reeves always seems to me to be on a different wavelength than anyone else on the planet, so when he steps into the part as the big blue superbeing, it might be a nice fit.

And in the biggest “duh” of the year, Jude Law has been offered the role of Adrien Veidt, aka Ozymandias. Perfect choice, and Law’s been saying for years that he is a huge fan of the material. If anyone out there is more right for the role, I don’t know who it is.

Hopefully we’ll have more WATCHMEN news for you as it develops, and my thanks to the always-watchful Boss Hogg for the heads up.

Keanu Reeves seems like he's on another wavelength to the rest of but not because he's a billion times more inteligent than anyone else. Christ hasn't anyone seen Chain Reaction? Reeves as a scientist is laughable.

yea they all sound good apart from Keanu, which is potentially film ruining casting. I don't know how they are going to announce who is playing Rorschach without spoiling the reveal. Actually I don't know how they are going to handle Rorschach all together.

Watchmen is a masterful comic book. The Watchmen I love - the intricate, Swiss-watch-like construction - can never really survive translation to a movie, but, like all comic books, people feel they need to be transformed into films to be validated as an art form.

This is unusual as movies don't seem to be all that intellectual any more as an art.

The film will inevitably be a lesser creation and, possibly, one that damages the perception of the original source for a few years.

Anyhow..

Keanu Reeves.

I couldn't think of a worse Dr Manhattan. Seriously, I'm sat here wracking my brains and I can't think of a worse actor.

You know who I'm thinking for The Comedian?

Burt Reynolds.

The thing with me is I don't mind them changing stuff when adapting things as it has to happen for a film to work. I'm not the kind of person who will cry because the left out my favourite scene or if a character wears a different shade of blue. However what I believe makes or breaks an adaptation is them getting the characters right and hitting the right mood and general themes. I actually though V for Vendetta was a half decent adaptation. It wasn't perfect but I think they adapted it pretty well. Apart from his awful opening speach V was pretty spot on. They updated the reason England had turned to a police state but I thought that worked pretty well as well. I just hope they get the characters and the essence of the book right in this one. I just cannot see Keanu Reeves pulling off Dr Manhatten though.

The thing with me is I don't mind them changing stuff when adapting things as it has to happen for a film to work. I'm not the kind of person who will cry because the left out my favourite scene or if a character wears a different shade of blue. However what I believe makes or breaks an adaptation is them getting the characters right and hitting the right mood and general themes. I actually though V for Vendetta was a half decent adaptation. It wasn't perfect but I think they adapted it pretty well. Apart from his awful opening speach V was pretty spot on. They updated the reason England had turned to a police state but I thought that worked pretty well as well. I just hope they get the characters and the essence of the book right in this one. I just cannot see Keanu Reeves pulling off Dr Manhatten though.

You can't see Keanu playing an emotionless blue man?

You can't see Keanu playing an emotionless blue man?

Dr Manhatten is emotionless because he's so fucking intelligent he can't communicate on a human level. I don;t see Keanu Reeves' emotionless acting quite portraying that

Keanu Reeves.

I couldn't think of a worse Dr Manhattan. Seriously, I'm sat here wracking my brains and I can't think of a worse actor.

You know who I'm thinking for The Comedian?

Burt Reynolds.

Hmm, I think Reynolds might be quite good actually. I still think Mel Gibson would be perfect for it, but I don't think their's even a slight chance of him being in a film like this.

I'm not even going to start on the casting of Keanu Reeves as Dr Manhattan- it's a decision that would baffle anyone.

Oh dear. I'm really worried about how Keanu Reeves is going to handle Chapter IV, the Dr Manhattan moment. When he's dropping all sorts of beautiful prose and playing around with the laws of language, all the while musing the folly of life and love. It's going to come out like that bit in the second Matrix when he's talking to that prick with the beard and all the TVs :blink:

Jude Law and Reeves are way too young for those parts IMO. Let's face it, this can't be anything other than a travesty. The whole point of the Watchmen is that it's a comic. In this case the medium really was the message. To even translate it into a book would be pointless. There's no way a film could do this justice.

I bet Mr. Moore cries about this every night.

Nah, didn't you hear the interview with him on the radio last year? He doesn't give a fuck. As far as he's concerned any adaptions of his work are completely seperate entities to the originals, and due to the major differences in the mediums, cannot be directly compared.

I mean, they've already done a serious number on From Hell (which is a work he far prefers afaik), so I don't think he'll lose any sleep over this.