6 hours ago, Ozzy Womandias said:

that would just show a severe lack of understanding of what it means to direct a film. It's speaking a completely different visual language, for one.

I wish we had someone here who likes to let us all over and over that they have an understanding of what it means to direct a film!

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1
36 minutes ago, Ozzy Womandias said:

Ah, yes, film. That niche, underground, unexplored, super specific and culturally irrelevant medium, art form and field of study. 

Eh? I was only wishing we had a film director among us who could share their direct experience. No need to get so defensive about stuff, unless you've directed films in the past and took my post in the wrong way? Maybe you could share your experiences with us all?

1 minute ago, Ozzy Womandias said:

Apologies. People have been comparing me to a banned forum member, Kerraig, all day yesterday. Got a DM about him being into film and such. I assumed you were referring to the same conspiracy theory.

Someone DM'd you to tell you he was into film? Okay!

17 hours ago, sandman said:

as for Alan bloody Moore I do wish he would just stop fucking moaning. I’ve not known another comic writer moan even a tenth of much as Moore has over the years. Just get over yourself you big pillock.

He only moans about adaptations of his work, and DC's dubious contractual behaviour, and the arrested development of superhero fans, when interviewers ask him about it. When the subject comes up, he does answer at length, describing his complaints in great detail and precision - but he answers every question like that. I think he much prefers it when he gets to talk about Jerusalem (which both those linked interviews were promoting), or magic, or book recommendations. His complaints about DC, Watchmen and the comics industry are normally quite a small part of lengthy wide-ranging interviews - but of course they're the parts that tend to make it into the headlines.

Having said that, I get the impression that he does take some glee in saying contrarian things like "I don't have a copy of Watchmen in my house" and "I requested that they remove my name from the credits and give all the money to the artists" and "I have no interest in Batman, my favourite American comic character has always been Herbie".

• Upvote 6

I re-read Watchmen at Christmas and in light of recent political events and the success of marvel it's only got more relevant. I actually strongly felt veidt was a good guy this time as well. 

@Death's Head is spot on about the squid, and in the context of global warming it's even more true. I think Moore is saying we need comic book simplicity in our lives and seek it out, but we can't deal with the real horrors of the world we've made. 

I do hope we see a more serious adaptation, or even more spin offs is they are as good as the last series.

• Upvote 4
17 hours ago, John Edward Gammell said:

Alan Moore can moan about whatever the fuck he wants. He's Alan Moore. 

Sorry, but this attitude needs to fuck off and die. It’s the sort of attitude that led to Michael Jackson and Jimmy Saville. Alan Moore is simultaneously the best comic writer of all time and a prick who just needs to get over himself.

• Empathy 4
2 hours ago, sandman said:

Sorry, but this attitude needs to fuck off and die. It’s the sort of attitude that led to Michael Jackson and Jimmy Saville. Alan Moore is simultaneously the best comic writer of all time and a prick who just needs to get over himself.

That makes no fucking sense at all to equate Alan Moore being a bit miserable, to the sick things Saville and Jackson did.

Face it, Watchmen was a pile of shit compared to the book.

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 1

Alan Moore always comes across as very personable in interviews and panels. Like toward many intellectuals with strong opinions, people just like to respond negatively about his character when they disagree with something he said.

• Upvote 3

He’s hilarious in person and quite the raconteur. If you only know him from text pieces where journalists deliberately ask him about things that wind him up you might miss that. And of course he lives a wind up himself.

Equating him with Savile and Jackson is probably a bit much really.

• Upvote 7
3 hours ago, sandman said:

So being a bit prickly when asked about things he has been asked a thousand times equates to being a sex offender? Right.....

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, womblingfree said:

Always amazed how Harsin manages to keep up with all these alts.

Anyway, never seen the movie, never want to see the movie, but the TV show looks good so I’ll give that a go.

The TV show is great. Well worth a watch.

• Upvote 1

The tv show is excellent.

I believe Alan Moore moaning was entertained by far too many people at one point in time and that led to the rise of Nazism.

On 03/08/2020 at 20:12, sandman said:

What colour is the sky, in your world? 

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So I’m on episode 3 of the TV show now and it’s way better than it has any right to be. Great stuff.

In contrast, had a quick look at the newer Watchmen comics, saw Superman and The Flash were in them and threw-up a bit in my mouth.

• Upvote 1