Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Watchmen

I'm thinking 'no way' on pretty much all of those. Most are too old and flabby. The comedian is ripped ferchrisakes! George Wendt would need two years in training.

:P

I'm dreading the adaptation really.

I honestly don't think that however good it will look, attempting to shoehorn the novel into a 2 or 3 hour film is pushing it somewhat.

That, and the fact that Alan Grant's works have NEVER been done justice.

I really hope I'm wrong, but if they do take what is basically the most important comic series of genre and fuck it up, then it'll be a crime.

And those responsible will be shot.

Alan Grant is the boy from Jurassic Park! I'm sure you mean Alan Moore.

Anyway, as has been said that image is just a test shot they probably did between takes on 300. I'm not going to set any expectations until I see some solid material from the film.

:D

It's the cast of... ach nevermind...

Cheers, yeah, now it's stared me in the face. I really wasn't paying attention yesterday, obviously.

Edit: So is there some sort of link to Cheers I should know about then? Or was it a poke at my 'Happy Days' Richie suggestion? :D

Why not just let Alan Moore do a Film script Adaption. Surely that would make the most sense.
Film adaptations of Moore's work also proved controversial. With From Hell and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Moore was content to allow the filmmakers to do whatever they wished and removed himself from the process entirely. "As long as I could distance myself by not seeing them," he said, he could profit from the films while leaving the original comics untouched, "assured no one would confuse the two. This was probably naïve on my part."[18]

His attitude changed after producer Martin Poll and screenwriter Larry Cohen filed a lawsuit against 20th Century Fox, alleging that the film The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen plagiarized an unproduced script they had written entitled Cast of Characters. Although the two scripts bear many similarities, most of them are elements that were added for the film and do not originate in Moore's comics. According to Moore, "they seemed to believe that the head of 20th Century Fox called me up and persuaded me to steal this screenplay, turning it into a comic book which they could then adapt back into a movie, to camouflage petty larceny." Moore testified in court hearings, a process so painful that he surmised he would have been better treated had he "molested and murdered a busload of retarded children after giving them heroin." Fox's settlement of the case insulted Moore, who interpreted it as an admission of guilt.

Moore's reaction was to divorce himself from the film world: he would refuse to allow film adaptations of anything to which he owned full copyright. In cases where others owned the rights, he would withdraw his name from the credits and refuse to accept payment, instead requesting that the money go to his collaborators (i.e. the artists). This was the arrangement used for the film Constantine.

The last straw came when producer Joel Silver said at a press conference for the Warner Bros. film adaptation of V for Vendetta that fellow producer Larry Wachowski had talked with Moore, and that "he [Moore] was very excited about what Larry had to say."[19] Moore claims that he told Wachowski "I didn't want anything to do with films... I wasn't interested in Hollywood," and demanded that Warner Bros issue a retraction and apology for Silver's "blatant lies." No retraction or apology appeared. Moore was quoted as saying that the film had "plot holes so big, you wouldn't have gotten away with it in Whizzer and Chips", and once again announced that he would no longer work for DC, which is owned by Warner Bros. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier, a hardcover graphic novel, will be his last work for the publisher, and future installments of LoEG will be published by Top Shelf Productions and Knockabout Comics. Moore has also stated that he wishes his name to be removed from comic work that he does not own, much as unhappy film directors often choose to be credited as "Alan Smithee."

Alan Grant is the boy from Jurassic Park! I'm sure you mean Alan Moore.

Um...yes.

Although I'm sure Alan Grant did some Judge Dredd things...

Anyway, I'm appalled at my gaff, and will retire from this thread...

Boo, me.

Should it even BE a film, though?

Isn't it kinda sorta about "the comic book?" Does it even work outside the comic book form?

I say no!

You thought it would never work as a movie. Now, Zack Snyder presents... Watchmen The Game for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.

The writer-director says he is exploring game options for his next project, "Watchmen." He says he'd like to see a PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 game based on the property, which was his original goal with "300" before time constraints limited that game to a PSP.

Snyder has watched Hollywood experiment the other way with movies based on video games. He feels movies based on games have shown executives that interactive and traditional entertainment are separate entities.

"At first, people in Hollywood were like, 'Games and movies are the same,' " Snyder says. "The game-playing experience is different from a movie. Kids who play video games like to watch movies. And people who watch movies like to play video games, but they're like lunch and dinner. They inform the other thing, but they don't replace it."

Snyder says a game can be supplemental to a movie or vice versa, but the idea of re-creating the gaming experience in a film doesn't translate.

"It's Hollywood having to come to grips with that idea and then go, 'OK, what is the answer?' " Snyder says. "It doesn't mean there can't be a 'Watchmen' video game, but it has to be more than the movie."

gamedaily

100 Bullets could work as a film, Preacher too maybe, but Watchmen NO! I can see this being as piss poor as what they did to The Black Dahlia. i.e. Take something so great and make it mediocre. It might end up looking like the comic but it will feel like so much less in the final product.

He sounds quite keen about Ron Perlman in that Empire interview, despite not having spoken to him about it. Perlman would be good but personally I reckon Ian Mcshane would be perfect.

I think Vincent D'Onofrio would be a good choice for the role of the Comedian.

Aye good choice.

I still think they should leave this well alone, and will continue to express this opinion once a page.

Video interview with Snyder where he talks all things Watchman

http://www.joblo.com/snyder-watchmen-video

hmm, he seems a bit... um... not that clever?

I haven't seen 300... but is he good enough to do the book justice?

EDIT: that's probably a bit mean, at least he's talking about staying faithful to the original period etc, but... he says 'awesome' so much...