Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Watchmen

I'd imagine much of this movie will be shot with green screen - 300 is pretty much all green screen as was Sin City, with only minimal props/location shoots.

300 is set to debut a trailer or some footage at Comic-Con next month, we'll see how well it holds up then.

Isn't Greengrass returning to the Bourne Franchise?

I'd imagine much of this movie will be shot with green screen

Depends on the syle I guess. There isn't really a reason to use a lot of green screen though, most of Watchmen is set in a real world setting. Only the Mars and end sections need green screen really, but again, it will depend on the style.

Alan Moore won't watch it. I don't think he's ever seen any movie adaptation of his work. He's very strong willed. If somebody made a movie out of a story that I wrote, I'd be dying to see it.

And I remember a non-geek mate of mine trying to tell me about some film they were making in France, that was made using "some mad style" that I would probably love. It's only clicked now that he was probably talking about 300. From what I've heard, that film is set to have a great style.

Initially I'd be like, "Yeah, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they made Watchmen all comicy looking," but I just remembered: Watchmen actually made a point of dropping certain trademark comic book aesthetics. There are no "sound effects" or motion lines. It's like the book went for absolute realism, to reflect this real-world slant that it had on masked heroes. A Sin City style for Watchmen wouldn't suit Moore's vision, as cool as it would no doubt look.

If they must make an acted-out, moving image version of Watchmen, I'd rather it was a television series. It's too deep and layered to be successfully condensed into the standard movie format.

It's going to be rubbish. And Alan Moore will hate it.

YOU KNOW IT TO BE TRUE.

Nobody knows it will be rubbish yet. As for Moore hating it, it's safe be he will distance himself from it, but that's got nothing to do with the quality of the adaptation now, rather the way he's been treated in the past by studios and comic companys.

If they must make an acted-out, moving image version of Watchmen, I'd rather it was a television series. It's too deep and layered to be successfully condensed into the standard movie format.

I agree. While I think a movie adaptation of Watchmen is absolutely possible, to get all the details from the book in there a more episodic medium is needed.

Some disagree but I think V For Vendetta is a great example of Moore's work that is rich in depth and layered, and yet was adapted to the big screen well. Of course changes were made, and some elements were omitted but that's why it's called adaptation – it fit the medium. Undoubtedly a TV series of V would have been the dog's bollocks, but for a movie it still conveyed the main message of the book well.

Depends on the syle I guess. There isn't really a reason to use a lot of green screen though, most of Watchmen is set in a real world setting. Only the Mars and end sections need green screen really, but again, it will depend on the style.

I still think they'd go green screen for as much as they could - it slashes the budget by a great deal and limits the amount of location shoots they'd need. I'd rather they went green screen and were able to shoot much more than be limited by budget. But I think a HBO TV version would really be the way to go than a movie version.

Some disagree but I think V For Vendetta is a great example of Moore's work that is rich in depth and layered, and yet was adapted to the big screen well. Of course changes were made, and some elements were omitted but that's why it's called adaptation – it fit the medium. Undoubtedly a TV series of V would have been the dog's bollocks, but for a movie it still conveyed the main message of the book well.

V for Vendetta was rubbish. It was Wachowski'd to the point of being utterly shite.

One of the key parts of the original V for Vendetta was the fact that it left the character of V up for interpretation: Was he a righteous freedom fighter on a crusade for good and justice or was he just a warped nutter taking revenge against a regime that had destroyed his life? It left it up to YOU as the reader to make up your own mind.

The film simplified the whole concept and ruined it.

V for Vendetta was rubbish. It was Wachowski'd to the point of being utterly shite.

One of the key parts of the original V for Vendetta was the fact that it left the character of V up for interpretation: Was he a righteous freedom fighter on a crusade for good and justice or was he just a warped nutter taking revenge against a regime that had destroyed his life? It left it up to YOU as the reader to make up your own mind.

The film simplified the whole concept and ruined it.

I think the film still left V's actions up to interpretation. There were parts in the film where his sanity was questionable at best. I don't think the film quided my opinion of V any less than the comic did. The comic led me to believe that it was retribution that V sought, and so did the film.

As for simplication, of course there is some, it's a 10 part comic condensed into a 2 hour movie. Ruining the concept? Hardly. The underlying message of the comic holds true in the film adaptation.

This is all slightly off topic though, there's already a thread somewhere debating the merits of v For Vendetta the movie.

As for simplication, of course there is some, it's a 10 part comic condensed into a 2 hour movie. Ruining the concept? Hardly. The underlying message of the comic holds true in the film adaptation.

Not really. The comic was about two polar opposites clashing: Anarchism and Fascism. It had a brilliant ending. And it was set in a believable United Kingdom.

The film completely removed ANY reference to anarchism and forced in thinly-veiled anti Neo-Con references. If the Wacuntskis want to make a political film, they should've just made an original one and left V alone. The ending was a shit cheesefest. The United Kingdom it showed was a shite Hollywood cliche version. I half expected Dick Van Dyke to pop up with a chimney brush and start dancing around like a goon.

This is all slightly off topic though, there's already a thread somewhere debating the merits of v For Vendetta the movie.

Nah man, its part of the debate. V for Vendetta is my example of why Watchmen SHOULDN'T be adapted for film.

Should it even BE a film, though?

Isn't it kinda sorta about "the comic book?" Does it even work outside the comic book form?

I say no!

For much the same reason as I never want to see a film adaptation of King's The Dark Tower. They're as much about the form they exist in as anything else.

Should it even BE a film, though?

Isn't it kinda sorta about "the comic book?" Does it even work outside the comic book form?

I say no!

Exactly. The whole point of Watchmen's brilliance is BECAUSE it's a comic book.

The costumes would look gay for starters.

I love Watchmen. Love it dearly.

I'd love to see it made properly into a well adapted film...

...but there has NEVAR been any evidence that such a thing can be done. It would have to be pared down and simplified into its most basic elements.

It would be shite. And you know it.

Oh aye, but when has that stopped Hollywood? A movie adaptation would be an even huge-er travesty than the League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen debacle due to the fact it's an absolute masterpiece. Ah well, I don't have to go and watch it I suppose.

Funnily enough, I only just started reading Watchmen the other day after I bought it from Amazon. I thought I owed it to myself after enjoying V For Vendetta.

It's fucking amazing so far- it's really opened my eyes to just how great graphics novels can actually be. But yeah, seeing it as a film doesn't really excite me- it works perfectly fine as a book.

I think the only part I'd actually be excited in seeing as part of a movie would be that opening pull-out shot, from the badge in the gutter, to the detective on the balcony. Like biglime said, though, maybe the main reason why that bit is so cool is because it's a series of still images that manage to convey a real sense of a kinetic "camera."

Hmm.

Exactly. The whole point of Watchmen's brilliance is BECAUSE it's a comic book.

The costumes would look gay for starters.

I disagree - the fact it's a comic book is almost marginal to its brilliance. It's just the medium (even though I think the comic book technique used in it is completely unparalleled). Of course the film won't be as good, though. It'll most likely be shite, but I think they should go ahead and make it. What's the worst that could happen? I get all pissed off cos it's shite? Big deal. It's not going to make the comic any worse, and it's not like it's some sacred text that should never be defiled. That way lies the stagnation of art.

Agreed on the costumes though.

Also, this guy Snyder looks a bit bogey. Rainbow 6? Dawn of the Dead? 300? All action flicks. 300 and Watchmen couldn't be more different as comics. Watchmen is all about words and ideas, not action.

I disagree - the fact it's a comic book is almost marginal to its brilliance. It's just the medium (even though I think the comic book technique used in it is completely unparalleled).

Nah, the Hollis Mason autobiography extracts, the 'Tales of the Black Freighter' comic, newspaper clippings and Rorschach's files are part of the experience. A film 'adaptation' would just be a stripped-down, dumbed-down pile of toss (probably). I'm not saying the 'behind the mask' and 'black freighter' extracts would work, because they obviously wouldn't, but all I'm saying is what's the point of making the film? Why not just leave it alone and make something else.

It is? It's not very far into the book is it... Oh well, be it on your head when people moan that they can't see my pretty picture without clicking a link. :P

And some editting might be in order. What a palava.

Yeah, I think you did have a point. I guess I just don't care for people who haven't read Watchmen. Jokes! :P

So who, on a purely aesthetical basis, do we think would befit the other characters to a tee? Or was this done in a previous thread?

Yeah, I think you did have a point. I guess I just don't care for people who haven't read Watchmen. Jokes! :P

So who, on a purely aesthetical basis, do we think would befit the other characters to a tee? Or was this done in a previous thread?

Easy!

Night Owl = Ted Danson

Silk Spectre = Shelly Long

The Comedian = George Wendt

Rorschach = Woody Harrelson

Dr Manhattan = Kelsey Grammer

Ozymandias = John Ratzenburger

Sally jupiter = Reah Perlman

Easy!

Night Owl = Ted Danson

Silk Spectre = Shelly Long

The Comedian = George Wendt