King Kong - Thread

Goose

The little subplot between the vice captain bloke and Billy Elliot was cringe-inducingly bad and completely without point. Cut that out of the DVD version as well.

Knowing Peter Jackson, the DVD will have an extended cut of the film with Even More Pointless Billy Elliot Scenes.

Yeah, but then we wouldn't have had any Heart of Darkness chat. Heart of Darkness was mad apt for Kong. Indeed, the approach to Skull Island really reminded me of Martin Sheen's approach to Cambodia in Apocalypse Now, which was, of course, an adaptation of Heart of Darkness. All of their book analysis set the mood tremendously. Talk of the main character becoming scared about what it was he was set to encounter. It got me imagining the insane Cambodian natives in Apocalypse Now, and thinking about the nutter Kurtz. Then, sure enough, King Kong delivers insane Skull Island natives and a nutter in Kong himself.

Basically, everything this film threw up, even the bits that you people are slagging, managed to strike a chord with me. Jackson played me like a piano. The Heart of Darkness chat and parallels with Apocalypse Now got me wanking profusely right there in my seat. I love Apocalypse Now, and I fucking love Kong.

I think they were included to give younger viewers a storyline and character that they could empathise with. That they managed to reference Heart of Darkness (and evoke memories of its obvious connotations, such as descent into madness, and scenes in Apocalypse Now) within said storyline, meant they were providing superb (subliminal?) mood-setting for the people who appreciate the reference, in addition to a simple wee story for the kids.

Plus all ships need an ard-done-by cabin boy.

I agree with the need for a young character being the primary reason so much attention was donated to his character. After all this is a studio film where all bases must be covered.

Also, the scenes are uneccesary, but Bell is excellent, and completely sheds any Billy Elliot skin flakes. When you compare him to the ludicrously annoying kids in Jurrasic Park et all, you have a clear winner.

Plus all ships need an ard-done-by cabin boy.

I agree with the need for a young character being the primary reason so much attention was donated to his character. After all this is a studio film where all bases must be covered.

Also, the scenes are uneccesary, but Bell is excellent, and completely sheds any Billy Elliot skin flakes. When you compare him to the ludicrously annoying kids in Jurrasic Park et all, you have a clear winner.

I agree, Bell did well with the rather limited material he was given to work with.

However his character and storyline felt rather redundant due such limited development or rather being too much of a tired cliche. A whole character included just for the sake of a studio tick box and it showed.

The kids in Jurassic Park were way more developed and as annoying as they were in some scenes, they had a true purpose for being there. When they were in danger, there was some tension (even though you knew they wouldn't actually die) but with Bell, I didn't care if he lived or died as he was just a cookie cutter character.

If we are going to compare Bell's character to any of the kids in the Jurassic Park series, i would say it's more apt to use the adopted daughter in Jurassic Park 2. Both characters are essentially shoehorned for contrived purposes. Bell aimlessly shooting every single bug off Driscoll with a tommy gun was just as cringeworthy as the psuedo gymnastics scene in JP2 (although, that was made even worse by terrible foreshadowing).

The youngsters would have been able to relate to King Kong himeself more than Roger the Cabin Boy (or whatever he was called).

And it would have been far more realistic to have Adrien Brody mention the Heart of Darkness stuff rather than the little boy who never went to school and was taken in for child slave labour.

And Peter Jackson had full creative control over the script and movie, didn't he? The studio wouldn't have forced him to put in the character. I doubt he was in the original movie so I really can't figure out why Peter Jackson wrote him in anyway.

And the kids in Jurassic Park were great! Look at their faces when Dr Grant gets electrocuted! The scene in the kitchen! The bit where Timmy follows Dr Grant around the car trying to talk to him! The T-REX SCENE!! They had loads of major scenes. Jamie Bell just stood around talking about some book he was reading at the time.

The kids in Jurassic Park were way more developed and as annoying as they were in some scenes, they had a true purpose for being there. When they were in danger, there was some tension (even though you knew they wouldn't actually die) but with Bell, I didn't care if he lived or died as he was just a cookie cutter character.

Yes, everyone read that, because he's right. :)

And the kids in Jurassic Park were great! Look at their faces when Dr Grant gets electrocuted! The scene in the kitchen! The bit where Timmy follows Dr Grant around the car trying to talk to him! The T-REX SCENE!! They had loads of major scenes. Jamie Bell just stood around talking about some book he was reading at the time.

Exactly.

Spielberg may be hounded for his sentimentality and cringe worthy young characters but most of Jurassic Park best bits are due to the kids and the peril they are in.

The bit when they are chowing down on free ice cream and jelly, faces beaming with smiles until Ellie sees the silohette of a raptor? Excellent moment. Certainly beats a hamfisted moment of Bell's referencing the art imitating life in the books he's reading.

11 years ago, or whenever it was that Jurassic Park was made, there would have been 90s versions of 11 Herbs 'n' Spices and Amanda, wearing checkered shirts and ripped jeans, writing slander about the kids being arbitrary on a blackboard, or whatever it was they used before the internet came out with its forums.

Looking at these last few pages, you'd be forgiven for thinking that King Kong was supposed to be some awful film. Indeed, you'd be all like "What the fuck? They say JURASSIC PARK does it better?!"

You're all being mega-harsh. Kong breaks Jurassic Park's jaw and bites out its tongue.

11 years ago, or whenever it was that Jurassic Park was made, there would have been 90s versions of 11 Herbs 'n' Spices and Amanda, wearing checkered shirts and ripped jeans, writing slander about the kids being arbitrary on a blackboard, or whatever it was they used before the internet came out with its forums.

Looking at these last few pages, you'd be forgiven for thinking that King Kong was supposed to be some awful film. Indeed, you'd be all like "What the fuck? They say JURASSIC PARK does it better?!"

You're all being mega-harsh. Kong breaks Jurassic Park's jaw and bites out its tongue.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Kong, just look at my previous posts.

I just felt that a 3+hour movie really shouldn't be adding unneessary elements in there unless it will add to the experience. Jamie Bell's character didn't in my opinion.

And as for Jurassic Park doing it better, it was someone else who brought up the comparison. Amanda and myself just happened to disagree.

I appreciate the love that Kon's getting but let's not be blind to other people's opinions if they happen to differ. Very few people are straight out saying the film is bad, so no need to be so defensive. :)

Not really my thing I must admit. Having seen many CG big monster-destroys-American-city-fests over the last few years, I honestly can't see anything that puts this above, say, the first Jurassic Park or even Godzilla.

The Empire State Building thing was fantastic though but I hated the thing with little Jimmy (or whatever his name was).

"When I found little Jimmy, his arms and legs were broken but I knew he was a fighter"

"No little Jimmy, you can't have a gun. I can have one because I was in the Army and have discipline and stuff"

I certainly didn't see the point of the first comment as nothing really happened with little Jimmy to prove he was a fighter and he never explained how his arms and legs were broken.

In short I'm kinda glad I saw it for the Empire State building bit.

2F2F may have a fair amount of CG but it also had an ending worthy of Smokey and the Bandit II

I'm just sticking up for the little man. So Bell's character was cookie cutter stuff. I bet there's some wee boys out there who want to go his character when they play King Kong in the playground, and they'll definitely be recreating his machine gun bug moment.

But I agree, I'd like to have seen him being developed more. I was interested in his story, but it eventually took a backseat once his mentor-type had died. His thievery and scallyness piqued my interest straight away, but I did find it strange that they didn't build on it, espceially after giving him so much character exposition on the boat.

But I'm sure the wee boys liked him, and King Kong the movie is as much for them as it is us. Said wee boys are probably talking amongst themselves about how they wish Ann was dropped from the story :)

Both audiences are equally important, you have to remember.

I'm just sticking up for the little man. So Bell's character was cookie cutter stuff. I bet there's some wee boys out there who want to go his character when they play King Kong in the playground, and they'll definitely be recreating his machine gun bug moment.

But I agree, I'd like to have seen him being developed more. I was interested in his story, but it eventually took a backseat once his mentor-type had died. His thievery and scallyness piqued my interest straight away, but I did find it strange that they didn't build on it, espceially after giving him so much character exposition on the boat.

But I'm sure the wee boys liked him, and King Kong the movie is as much for them as it is us. Said wee boys are probably talking amongst themselves about how they wish Ann was dropped from the story :)

Both audiences are equally important, you have to remember.

Agree about trying to apease all audiences but it just seemed half arsed compared to everything else in the film, which is why it stood out. I understand that Jimmy is just a supporting character so won't get as much development as the main ones but that's no excuse to use an 'off-the-shelf' approach. Denham's assistant was handled in a much better way and I'm sure he got even less lines.

The film excelled in so many ways but really let itself down in others, so it's a shame it becomes marred.

I'm sure Jackson and his team are creative enough to come up with a character that would appeal to the younger demographic without resorting to cheap cliche. I have hope for the inevitable Extended Edition that Jimmy will be fleshed a little bit more and hopefully, in more original ways.

Not really my thing I must admit. Having seen many CG big monster-destroys-American-city-fests over the last few years, I honestly can't see anything that puts this above, say, the first Jurassic Park or even Godzilla.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I came out of the cinema. I don't anything will ever top Ghostbusters though.

2/10..... I thought it was far too long, and couldnt wait for them to get back to NYC so that Kong could die and I could go home to bed. There were far too many chases and Adrian Brodys nose was making me feel sick. Plus a geek should not have a buff body.

Narnia was much better.

I have hope for the inevitable Extended Edition that Jimmy will be fleshed a little bit more and hopefully, in more original ways.

He doesn't need to be fleshed out, he needs something to do. I get the feeling his character was built up for a big moment, but then that big moment was cut out at the last minute for time reasons.

Unless the absurd machine gun scene was his big payoff, in which case :P.

Thinking it over, maybe the jurassic park kids weren't the best example. They were instumental to the whole film. They did "I might shit myself" faces really well. Also I do love jurrasic park. Especially the kitchen scene. I think it was the T-rex theme that made it spring up.

All I was saying is that Bells character dissapointed narratively, not in his acting, and if he was shoe-horned in for the youngens, there are far far worse people they could have put there.

And I'm sure his story was far more fleshed out at some point and was stripped bare to fit the three hour mark. The way his is totally ignored once back in NY really indicates that.

Also this aesthetic fascism regarding Mr. Brody really dampens my spirits, and not just because I have a big nose. I cannot understand the mentality of people who complain when actors don't fit the ridiculous standards corporations push as role models.

You've become so shallow and narrow minded that if you don't see beach blonde Brad Pitts and Jennifer Anistons you actually get uncomfortable. It's bizarre and sad. And regarding this film, ironic.

As a general rule, wonky noses do not cause nausea. Unless they're swaying side to side and have that sea-sickness effect. Since a considerable amount of the movie was spent aboard a boat, that's a fair possibility.

[...yeah, I'm not being serious. :P]

He doesn't need to be fleshed out, he needs something to do. I get the feeling his character was built up for a big moment, but then that big moment was cut out at the last minute for time reasons.

Unless the absurd machine gun scene was his big payoff, in which case :P.

Yeah, pretty much what I meant, poor phrasing on my part.

His backround will always remain unoriginal so I'm hoping the scene on the raft that was cut will prove to be more meaty to give the character a better purpose.

Saw it last night, thought it was mostly pretty damn good. Some of the cgi looked pretty dodgy (the stampede mainly) and some scenes/script were really embarrassing (kong laughing, serkis' 'joke' about the abominal snowman...). I was thinking some of the scenes on the island were a bit pointless as there were so many action scenes one ofter the other, but really it just showed that they were constantly under attack wherever they were. And Serkis' death was some of the most gruesome shit i've ever seen.

I liked all of the characters too, except for Ann. She was constantly irritating with the same stupid look on her face.

Just came back from watching it. Well, on the plus side the vast majority of the CGI was excellent, and I only ever looked at my watch once, and not because I was bored.

On the minus side, I found the film totally unable to evoke any emotion from me whatsoever other than "oh shame". And this is from a guy who'd well up at a Disney movie. Pretty much ANY Disney movie. I just didn't care. And for all the time the movie took, I found it skipped over plenty which would have been far more interesting to expand upon - the human inhabitants of Skull Island is just one that springs to mind. Oh, and give me soem pay off for the storylines built around the crew (Bell's character, for a start - ooooh mysterious... no, stupid... no, forgotten about). And pole vaulting through rough waters onto an incredibly uneven ocean floor my fat one.

And the ending! Oh le FROMAGE!

"It wasn't the planes that killed Kong"...

*No, it was the fucking bullets*

"It was Beauty who..."

*OH FUCK OFF*

Glad I watched it, and I did enjoy it, but it's not without absolutely enormous faults; I'm rather unimpressed that it left me with so little to care for anyone in the film.