King Kong - Thread

Goose

I saw this today and thought it was absolutely amazing.

You see, this film has obvious flaws, but it made me water up and unable to talk for around three minutes. I think the last film that equalled this inner gut-wrenching was "Downfall". Or maybe "Mysterious Skin". So Berlin at the close of World War two, or a rent boy crashing from child abuse to being raped. But Jackson got me more emotional about a romance between a giant ape with no obvious gentelia and Naomi Watts. This is a groundbreaking piece of story telling.

Some of the lines hit like a bottle of chlorophyll, the opening section doesn't really need so much expostion, especially when basic plot devices (where's the map from?) are totally ignored, and while I'm here, there are far too many stunted back-stories thrown at you via rushed soliloquy that ultimately have little relevance to anything ie. I don't give a shit where Jamie Bell comes from.

But when a film gets an audience staring in lump-throated shock at what is laughable on paper, you can offically forgive it of anything.

I cannot believe how great a connection Jackson crafted between viewer and Kong. It is, for once, truley spell binding. And the tribes people were just kitch horror brilliance. The action sequences are the best I've seen since the Indy trilogy (and Indy lovers, Mr. Jones atmosphere permeates this movie more than any before it).

I offcially belive just as one beardy is falling down the trash compactor (Lucas) a saviour has arrived (Jackson). I WANT Jackson to take this awesome template and reinvent the 40's inspired adventure movie. The world has been crying out for a directorial talent like this for so long, one that can take crazy hair-brained situations and fantastical characters and make kerchiefs damp round the western world.

In short, fucking yes.

I know perfectly well what dissenting means; I also know perfectly well what you wrote, and the direct implication was that people were disagreeing just to be different and get attention, such is the nature of the forum.

It wouldn't be rllmuk without people disagreeing? I agree; that's part of the reason I still visit this forum, the fact that it hasn't (completely) turned into a mutual love-in, despite the best efforts of some members.

I take it pointless and childless disagreements are ones where someone is disagreeing with you. If I want to say I loved Kong, I could post any number of wanky reasons and you'd accept them. If I wanted to say I didn't like it, I'd have to justify myself to you for fear of being pointless and childish.

Perhaps I should get a dictionary? You great pompus ass.

Well yes I see where you're coming from, but you seem to be over assuming my position.

If someone had posted on the forums "king kong was great because it had a giant monkey in it and the humans pwnd it, and watching it die was awesomeness". I would also assume that person is frankly a dickhead and missed the point of the film (there were people in my cinema who did actually cheer where he died). My point is, and I am now a hypocrite because I'm doing it myself as are you, that pointless derailing of the thread where people come in and just say "its shit" or "its unrealistic I hate it" or whatever is just pointless. Im not saying justify yourself, fine tell people its shit, but when its a nicely formed thread, one word posts unless witty or having some point other than every joe giving their crappy 2 c is annoying, if not david brenty cringeworthy.

And that is that sir.

I saw this today and thought it was absolutely amazing.

You see, this film has obvious flaws, but it made me water up and unable to talk for around three minutes. I think the last film that equalled this inner gut-wrenching was "Downfall". Or maybe "Mysterious Skin". So Berlin at the close of World War two, or a rent boy crashing from child abuse to being raped. But Jackson got me more emotional about a romance between a giant ape with no obvious gentelia and Naomi Watts. This is a groundbreaking piece of story telling. 

Some of the lines hit like a bottle of chlorophyll, the opening section doesn't really need so much expostion, especially when basic plot devices (where's the map from?) are totally ignored, and while I'm here, there are far too many stunted back-stories thrown at you via rushed soliloquy that ultimately have little relevance to anything ie. I don't give a shit where Jamie Bell comes from.

But when a film gets an audience staring in lump-throated shock at what is laughable on paper, you can offically forgive it of anything.

I cannot believe how great a connection Jackson crafted between viewer and Kong. It is, for once, truley spell binding. And the tribes people were just kitch horror brilliance. The action sequences are the best I've seen since the Indy trilogy (and Indy lovers, Mr. Jones atmosphere permeates this movie more than any before it).

I offcially belive just as one beardy is falling down the trash compactor (Lucas) a saviour has arrived (Jackson). I WANT Jackson to take this awesome template and reinvent the 40's inspired adventure movie. The world has been crying out for a directorial talent like this for so long, one that can take crazy hair-brained situations and fantastical characters and make kerchiefs damp round the western world.

In short, fucking yes.

Great review :o

I got dragged to this las tnight as my nephew wanted to see it. Unforutnately before going I had no idea it would be so long and I nearly fell asleep by the end of it.

It really was far too long, every scene seemed to have been lengthened for no apparent reason - the fight between kong and the T-Rexes was particularly bad I thought. I'm not a fan of action films and there are only so many times someone can be saved from being killed without it just getting stupid. she must have been being saved by Kong just at the nick of time every few seconds :)

I really didn't feel the ann and Kong connection was as good as a lot of you are making out and I didn't even feel sad never mind start crying. The techniques he used were boring and predictable such as cutting out all background noise, having a stupidly long scene of them just looking at each other and then bringing you back to reality with an explosion or gunshots or something similar.

Not the sort of film I would have normally gone to see, it was just the usual Hollywood blockbuster rubbish that gets churned out all the time.

Not the sort of film I would have normally gone to see, it was just the usual Hollywood blockbuster rubbish that gets churned out all the time.

What crap.

Stuff like Doom, 2 Fast 2 Furious, Cheaper by the Dozen 2 or American Pie 17 are hollywood tat. King Kong is a thousand million miles from them.

Saw this last night and it was pretty awful. Very disappointed.

Adrian Brody's nose took up half the screen.

The action was dull and there was far too much of it.

The film was too long and very dull, even when King Kong was fighting dinosaurs I was bored. I found myself thinking 'Please...please get back to New York soon and toss yourself off the Empire State Building'.

I am absolutely amazed that anyone 'watered up' after watching this, unless you just had a sore backside.

There were some good points. THe meeting with the natives was enjoyable and quite scary. Kong did look good. New York was nicely recreated.

I don't think it was too long because of the action, though it could have done with some editing. When they first reach the island, for example. Why bother having them meet the natives, then go back to the boat only for her to be kidnapped and the captain strangely deciding to risk his entire crew's life for one girl?

Why not just have the film crew go out, have her kidnapped when they first meet the natives and then the crew come out as they do already?

There were loads of bits like that, it really just needed tightening up.

I don't think it was too long because of the action, though it could have done with some editing. When they first reach the island, for example. Why bother having them meet the natives, then go back to the boat only for her to be kidnapped and the captain strangely deciding to risk his entire crew's life for one girl?

Why not just have the film crew go out, have her kidnapped when they first meet the natives and then the crew come out as they do already?

There were loads of bits like that, it really just needed tightening up.

What you describe happens in the game, what Jackson had was more like the original film. Allow in the original the captain of the ship can talk to the natives.

There is, probably, a good film in there. There WAS too much action, too many chases that ended in near disaster and then, just when all looked last, a last minute rescue! Phew. Hmmmmmm.

I think all you really need to do is remove ALL the Jamie Bell stuff (10 minutes worth?) remove the ice-skating scene completely, and cut 15 minutes more of the ship stuff (eg the scene they were filmed on the ships deck with the dodgy greenscren), and it'd be perfect.

Maybe there'll be an option on the Extended DVD to watch an Unextended And Bit Extra Taken Off version of the movie.

Saw it for the third time today and I still got tears in my eyes by the end. Simply superb, almost everyone else watching were crying too in case you all think I am a cry baby. Thing is though I never had tears in my eyes after watching the original kong.

Sore arse?