IGNORED

Descent and Descent 2 Thread

linkster

Based on what Jonnysaxc posted did anyone wonder whether

they were all killed by Sarah who was just imagining the monsters as she descended into madness?

Yeah that's something that I thought of too after I saw it. I guess the film was left open to interpretation.

Based on what Jonnysaxc posted did anyone wonder whether

they were all killed by Sarah who was just imagining the monsters as she descended into madness?

I'm wondering this too...

The first hint at their appearance comes from Sarah and its her little girl she hears. Then there were the constant shots of the birthday cake AND her little girl turning into one of those crawlers. And the ending, her waking in the cave the only "survivor" (with her daughter), totally peaceful and serene... Definitely seems like a descent into madness to me...

Spoilers ahoy:

(The dream ending:)

It's a good theory but it's a bit spannered by the fact that the group fight and kill off a few of the cave creatures... they're clearly not fighting off the heroine as they talk about finding her afterwards, and as she's not around at the time the scenes wouldn't work as part of her delusion. I think it was just a downbeat British ending; before long she'll be killed off, but she won't care because she's gone insane. Nobody escapes a stronger person - the ending goes so far as to mock the concept.

The dream theory worked better for War of the Worlds. Obviously we now have to apply it to every film we see. If it only improves 5% of them, I'll be happy. Applying it to films that already make it clear they've been dreams is going to cause some headaches, though. Oy.

Spoilers ahoy:

(The dream ending:)

It's a good theory but it's a bit spannered by the fact that the group fight and kill off a few of the cave creatures... they're clearly not fighting off the heroine as they talk about finding her afterwards, and as she's not around at the time the scenes wouldn't work as part of her delusion. I think it was just a downbeat British ending; before long she'll be killed off, but she won't care because she's gone insane. Nobody escapes a stronger person - the ending goes so far as to mock the concept.

The dream theory worked better for War of the Worlds. Obviously we now have to apply it to every film we see. If it only improves 5% of them, I'll be happy. Applying it to films that already make it clear they've been dreams is going to cause some headaches, though. Oy.

rowan....you are wrong

I can see the logic, Rowan, but that never stopped the director of Haute Tension -_-

She really had flipped though and it wouldn't suprise me if she didn't wipe out pretty much everything down there first! She became one mad motherfucker before the end, using her anger to pretty much destroy anything.

rowan....you are wrong

Can't argue with that. So what's the theory, that they ALL went crackers and mass-hallucinated the creatures? If not, what were they fighting? What about the woman attacked hanging from the ceiling? Or was every scene with the other characters part of her hallucination? If so, it becomes the worst film ever made...

Perhaps she dies in the tunnel collapse, didn't make it out? Or perhaps she died in the car crash at the start? It all seems as likely, as far as I can tell.

I wouldn't. "They went pot holing. There were beasties. They died." sounds like the best horror movie ever, and if the descent didn't quite crack it, it gave a damn good try.

For the record, I agree - it's just a straightforward horror without any pretensions, which is the best kind. But it's not dumb. I saw Creep the other day for the first time, and I think that's a dumb horror. The Descent at least offers itself for interpretation, while not demanding it, and it follows its own logic - which is based on a solid, simple premise - flawlessly.

It ain't great, but it's great.

I wouldn't. "They went pot holing. There were beasties. They died." sounds like the best horror movie ever, and if the descent didn't quite crack it, it gave a damn good try.

Oh, hell yeah. It's an ace film, I'm not knocking it, it's just that it wouldve been just as cool if the film had been played out as dementia instead of real beasties.

You want to know how to make the movie even better? In the near future there's a moving coming out called The Cave, who's premise is quite similar in a number of respects. Just watching the trailer you can see it'll be a CGI-PG13 pile of tat.

Watch it then go back and rewatch The Descent and it'll seem even better than it already is (and it is damn good)

You want to know how to make the movie even better? In the near future there's a moving coming out called The Cave, who's premise is quite similar in a number of respects. Just watching the trailer you can see it'll be a CGI-PG13 pile of tat.

Watch it then go back and rewatch The Descent and it'll seem even better than it already is (and it is damn good)

ano i seen the trailer to that last time i went the cinema it looks like a "where americasn where so clever o.O look at our fancey gizmos" type of decent with bigger badder straight out of hell beasties. looks mighty shit.

ano i seen the trailer to that last time i went the cinema it looks like a "where americasn where so clever o.O look at our fancey gizmos" type of decent with bigger badder straight out of hell beasties. looks mighty shit.

The irony is that itll probably do better over there than The Descent did.*

*I dont know how The Descent has done in Yankee-Land. Has it done ok?

The Descent hasn't got a release date in the US as far as I know. I see it becoming a cult hit rather than a (deserved) break out hit.

Marshall comes across as the sort of guy who wouldn't just take on any old job should the movie become big in the US and everybody want to work with him. I'd hate to see him roped into doing a remake of The Thing or The Omen, but making them PG13.

I mean, they got the guy that made Haute Tension into remaking The Hills Have Eyes...

They went pot holing. There were beasties. They died. Id love it to be cleverer (is that a word??! :) ) but I don't think it is.

I have to agree with this. But I like entertaining the idea that it goes a little deeper.

So - what's the real significance of her little girl dying and the constant flashbacks/ reminders? I know it probably contributes to her mentalness at the end - but hell - it didn't really need a 5 year old being speared through the head at the beginning to see people going a bit nuts in that situation...?

Well just got back from seeeing it and I dont mind admitting that it scared the absolute shit out of me!

Dont think Ive ever left the cinema so on edge before!

That early scene where you first see one of the dwellers looming over one of the girls from the nightvision POV actually made me shout out a few choice swear words :)

Absolutely loved it though.. and it managed to do exactly what I was hoping

The best example of a "traditional" horror film that Ive seen in a very long time

Went and saw this last night, eat far too much chocolate while waiting for it to start, and as a result was feeling rather naseous by the time it started. The bit where the chick got caught in the wee tunnel bit had its tension considerably improved by the fact i was trying not to vomit <_<

Enjoyed the film in general, although I think i may have ghost written the plot in my sleep, as i expected every scare. Didn't stop the person i was with quite literally jumping half a foot in the air on a number of occasions though, and there was quite a bit of screaming going on in the cinema, usually a good sign :D

Wow!

I saw the trailer a while back thinking "Hmm, looks like your typical American slasher monster movie in interesting but probably underused setting type movie", so obviously I knew nothing about it in the slightest.

Starts out well - the entire movie is paced excellently and as other people have mentioned I think the director executed all the cliches he used excellently. I'm watching and not knowing whether I'm getting a monster/ghost story or a disaster movie in the vein of Poseidon Adventure.

So for the first half of the movie I'm thinking disaster movie and really fucking loving it - the TENSION! It's unbelievable! The bit where she gets stuck, the bit where the other one is climbing along the cave roof. Then people keep running off and getting hurt - eek! This is good stuff - so claustrophobic and tense. the acting was really good too and I started feeling for the characters.

Then the shit really hit the fan...

The first time you see the creatures you think Jesus, what's going to happen down here. At first I'm thinking it could just be a hallucination and I think the movie kept us in the dark for long enough over this, they really played their cards well in this respect. Then that first fight scene - FUCK ME! I, honestly don't think I've ever freaked out so much in the cinema in my life! I actually screamed. And, brilliantly, it wasn't for the last time either.

The creature reveal came about half-way through and I feared that that would be the money shot - you just can't show the monster and then have them still be scary, but the pace just kicked off and the entire last half of the movie was a chase, with the monsters hunting them constantly. Brilliantly done.

I always find that after the reveal, in most horrors, all the tension is gone, but with the Descent this wasn't the case and I think this was because the creatures themselves managed to stay within the realms of believability after you saw them - yes they were horrible, nasty beasts, but at the same time they were cave-dwelling creatures that could feasibly exist. I think this really worked in their favour and the movie played up that angle excellently.

Again, the movie ALMOST strayed into the realms of crazyness when some of the characters started fighting back and kicking ass - the main character went from being a damsel in distress, trapped in a cave shaft, to blood-soaked killer. It didn't bother me too much, probably because the pace was just so hectic, but they definitely skirted around the edges with it. Fortunately didn't turn into Rambo.

Then, the ending. I was really impressed. They gave us escape then cruelly snatched it away. I spent the entire movie hoping, praying, that the main character would get out alive (normally I just enjoy watching them get picked off), but it was not to be - the despair was palpable and I think that really says just how successful this movie was. Ledgendary.

Finally, mad props to the audience who I saw it with - late night showing and absolutely everyone was getting into it - screaming, pants being shit left right and centre and then the moment after laugh when you think about just how fucked up that last scene got you. We utterly loved it :)

Now, why on earth isn't everyone screaming at teh top of their lungs about this movie?! Edge 10, 5 Gs 2 thumbs up, and yet no one is talking about it!

this movie is criminally over looked.

It made it into the top 3 at the UK box office, settling itself cosily among the likes of WOTW, Star Wars and Batman Begins. Can't really expect much more than that, particularly as its success has largely been through word of mouth.