Okami

Cyhwuhx

Got all of four minutes into this last night.

Before it goes on the ebay pile, is there an option to increase the text speed in the options screen? Should have reset and tried again but couldn't be arsed to do another swapmagic boot.

Like I said in my first impressions it takes a *long* time to get going, almost comically so, but stick with it.

Not sure if there's an increase text speed option, probably is... you should be able to skip the opening movie though (press start) and jump straight into the game. You get a journal documenting everything so you know what's going on.

EDIT - RE: the "long time to get going", the opening gubbins is lengthy but I thought it was really well done, much better then Wind Wakers dull start anyhow.

Just got this from a friend of mine in the US. I am at work though and i can't play it yet. I loaded up for a brief time and saw in the options a choice for "Standard TV" and "LCD TV". Any ideas what this means?

I think it is so stupid not to have widescreen support. But to have an option for "LCD TVs" that does something without having widescreen support, well, it reaches the borders of complete stupidity and idiocy.

And i thought Clover were smart or something... Really, really disappointed by the lack of 16:9 support...

Can't say it's affected my enjoyment of it in the slightest.

Not sure if there's an increase text speed option, probably is... you should be able to skip the opening movie though (press start) and jump straight into the game. You get a journal documenting everything so you know what's going on.

EDIT - RE: the "long time to get going", the opening gubbins is lengthy but I thought it was really well done, much better then Wind Wakers dull start anyhow.

WW wasn't the best opening that's for sure (well, the tapestry was lovely) but at least you got to control Link fairly quickly. By my reckoning it was a good 10 minutes into Okami before that happened. Still, all minor niggles.

Seing these glorious images stretched out to fit my HI-DEF really is a letdown... And the alternative... Playing with borders? That is more of a letdown...

There is no excuse for them....

Zelda never had widescreen, so there's your answer.

FWIW, am watching it upscaled through my iScan to 720p on a projector, at that resolution am perfectly happy with the default aspect ratio.

PAL version is so far away. :D

Don't remind me. :D

I'm very tempted to get that Swap Magic thing and import it now, but with the Wii and Xmas coming up soon, I need all the money I can get really.

Guess I'll have be happy with LEGO SW II and stuff for now. Ho hum.

Zelda never had widescreen, so there's your answer.

FWIW, am watching it upscaled through my iScan to 720p on a projector, at that resolution am perfectly happy with the default aspect ratio.

Firstly, you are talking about a 3 year old game, when few people had wide screen TVs. Either way, now i have one.

Secondly, what the fuck does Zelda has to do with it? Because Zelda didn't have it, is an excuse for Okami not to have it too? :D Besides, not having wide screen for Zelda is pretty pitifull...

Your are happy with your aspect ratio? You mean 4:3? Well, what about those who have 16:9 TVs? There is no excuse for a game not to have a widescreen support, especially a game that has taken so long to make and so many people are expecting it.

For God's sake, God of War had wide screen and it was nowhere near ar beautiful as this...

Firstly, you are talking about a 3 year old game, when few people had wide screen TVs. Either way, now i have one.

Secondly, what the fuck does Zelda has to do with it? Because Zelda didn't have it, is an excuse for Okami not to have it too? :D Besides, not having wide screen for Zelda is pretty pitifull...

Your are happy with your aspect ratio? You mean 4:3? Well, what about those who have 16:9 TVs? There is no excuse for a game not to have a widescreen support, especially a game that has taken so long to make and so many people are expecting it.

For God's sake, God of War had wide screen and it was nowhere near ar beautiful as this...

Sorry, I'd have added the :D after the Zelda line if I'd known you'd be so humourless about it.

My PJ is 16:9, just not for this game. It's not making me enjoy it any less.

I gave this a good 2 hours last night... and so far am very underwhelmed. I'm up to the village bit, but so far the game has failed to captivate me. I'm guessing the 15 minute long intro didn't help matters.

Well 8 hours and and I've only just had the first boss battle. maybe it'll turn out not to be your kind of game, I was certainly enjoying just dicking about the in fields earlier.

Sorry, I'd have added the :D after the Zelda line if I'd known you'd be so humourless about it.

My PJ is 16:9, just not for this game. It's not making me enjoy it any less.

Well, sorry mate. But i'm really pissed about the lack of widescreen support. I was expecting to play this and enjoy the art and color without having to compromise... I really can't find any excuses for them.

I hope the excellence of the game will calm me down though :D

This game must be quite long. 20 hours on the clock (although it continues counting when paused, probably more like 15) in and I thought I had completed it, then it opened up another area.

Very minor spoiler about something you can do in the very first village

You can slice the Orange couples house roof

"20 hour" in spoilers

Waka is just the coolest character. His appearance in the wood was when I really started loving this game. In fact most of the characters are great. The plot with Susano becoming a warrior was enjoyable.

The pay off from killing the 8 headed demon was spectacular and the firework display at the village festival afterwards was just beautiful.

Edit: Cant seem to have smilies in spoilers

Played a couple of hours of this, and it's simply breathtakingly beautfiul. The animation, the vibrant colours, the painted look of everything - stunning.

Plays a lot like Zelda, only you're a white wolf rather than a little green elf. As such, the movement feels more fluid. If you continue running without stopping, you break into a sprint and little flowers sprout up behind you. Whenever you land, little tuffs of grass stick out of the ground (bit weird when it happens indoors, but there you go).

Lots of handholding and reeeeeaallllly slloooooow tteeeeexxxtttt at the beginning, but I think it's picking up its pace now. Not been challenged by it yet; the combat is pretty easy so far. But the best thing about it is the painting. The scene becomes 'flat' and you can paint circles or lines (and probably other shapes soon enough) with the analogue stick to perform special attacks... such as running around the first village slicing trees and rocks in half. ;)

More soon!

Just got my copy of this & it's amazing. I had to tear myself away from it for other activities such as sleeping & chores, & not many games can grip me that intensely nowadays.

I love the fact that you're restoring Life, Color & Beauty to the world through your efforts. Making trees burst into bloom with swish of the brush is just so satisfying.

It has Style & Substance, & not enough games of recent times have both.

Have Nintendo paid them whatever it takes to get this on the Wii yet?

Suing them might be more appropriate ;)

It's some kind of horrible coincidence I'm sure that Twilight Princess features a wolf.

12 hours in now and it's starting to feel just a bit samey. The basic mechanics are still a joy to use but the environments while mercifully free of lava, snow etc are just making the game feel small due to the lack of variety.

Still full of beautiful touches though and I had to make myself turn it off so am clearly stilll nit picking and it's some kind of compliment to compare it to Zelda at all.

I'm about 8 hours in now, some of which has been spent dicking around, fishing, and just gaping at things in awe. It's still amazing, I like the 4th move you can learn from the Dojo :(

Having a little break as I just realised how hungry I am (again) but will be right back on it once I'm fed. I cant get enough of it - it reminds me of when I first got Secret of Mana on the SNES and when I wasn't playing it, all I could think about was playing it. It's totally captivated me.

The one thing that does get me down has to be where Issun (or however you spell it) tells you exactly how to do stuff, and points out everything you could be doing - I would like the satisfaction of finding stuff out myself. Does this ease off later in the game?