IGNORED

Okami

Cyhwuhx

• 2 weeks later...

This arrived this morning :)

DSC00271.JPG

The game does indeed look beautiful. By the end of the hour or so long demo, I just wanted to play it some more. I didn't think it was too tough to work out what to do without understanding Japanese, most tasks seemed like commen sense and logic to me. The only bit I got stuck on was right at the end where you have to

draw the water wheel to allow you to get some water for the sleeping man, so he can get the energy to break the big rock.

The painting bits are easily the worst part of the game. The first time you use it ingame, there is a cluster of stars to join up, depicting a dragon. It took me about 5 minutes to do it, with me eventually just scribbling all over the screen and doing it by luck. As much the fault of the horrible dual shock 2 analogue sticks as anybody at Clover Studio's I'm sure, but I really think that in the final game, the accuracy needs to be more lenient. Everytime one of these paintbrush moments occured, I had difficulty with it. Using the brush in open play however, was a far better experience. Draw a circle on the grass and flowers will blossom. Do the same on water to create a lilly. Slashing enemies, rocks and trees also works fine.

I must admit that while I was curious about the game after seeing a couple of videos, I wasn't convinced it was going to be something special. After playing the demo however, I have added Okami to my small list of anticipated titles, along with Shadow of the Colossus and Phantasy Star Universe. What was that about the next generation?

.::: Are my eyes deceiving me or is there indeed a genre-indicator in the top-left called "Niche Adventure"!?

I havn't experienced painting troubles at all during the E3 demo... Then again, the PS2 sticks are universally slagged, so it was bound to annoy someone at some point.

The painting bits are easily the worst part of the game. The first time you use it ingame, there is a cluster of stars to join up, depicting a dragon. It took me about 5 minutes to do it, with me eventually just scribbling all over the screen and doing it by luck. As much the fault of the horrible dual shock 2 analogue sticks as anybody at Clover Studio's I'm sure, but I really think that in the final game, the accuracy needs to be more lenient. Everytime one of these paintbrush moments occured, I had difficulty with it. Using the brush in open play however, was a far better experience. Draw a circle on the grass and flowers will blossom. Do the same on water to create a lilly. Slashing enemies, rocks and trees also works fine.

Regarding the stars...

You just have to paint in the missing one i.e. just dab a spot onto the point of the constellation there isn't a star present. I actually found the water wheel to be far more tricksy, I mimicked how the demo painted it but failed more often then not. My mate figured out a better way though which involved just covering the space with an ink filled rectangle. Probably not exactly what the designers had in mind!

This game is gorgeous beyond all my expectations. And i've only got a 20" non-flatscreen non-widescreen non-goodscreen TV.

I spent ages just watching everything around me move, and the varying animations of the main character as you ease the analoge stick forward (like Mario 64), and stuff.

Doing anything at all in this game is an absolute joy, as the wolf moves so well. Running, jumping, even just barking! The trail of growing flowers when you run, or the falling leaves when you attack, the grace of the wolf's movement when you're in fighting situations - its all just mindblowingly beautiful.

And then you get to draw the sun....

Just...

Wow.

:(

The only worry I have with Okami is that the framerate doesnt seem very stable, which does slightly spoil the beautiful illusion the rest of the game has built up. hopefully Clover will be able to sort it by release day.

The only worry I have with Okami is that the framerate doesnt seem very stable, which does slightly spoil the beautiful illusion the rest of the game has built up. hopefully Clover will be able to sort it by release day.

That's the only real concern I have with it as well, plenty of time to sort it though, it's not released for ages.

Even if the final game does suffer slowdown by the time it's released the PS3'll be just around the corner, I can imagine Okami running more then a bit better off one of those.

.::: Are my eyes deceiving me or is there indeed a genre-indicator in the top-left called "Niche Adventure"!?

Neichaa Adobenchaa = Nature Adventure

I found the painting rather awkward at first, but kinda got used to it a bit. It would be better on another pad (or even better a rev or touch screen...) but it's pretty forgiving. I failed the join the star bit several times before doing it by simple dotting each star, I'm not sure if that is what you're meant to do...

It's astonishingly lush, my jaw barely has time to close before it's forced to the floor by another stunning scene. It has obvious character and humour too, I hope they take care with the translation.

Inventive, gorgeous and fun... top of my wanted list.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the trailer on the Edge Tokyo Games Show DVD today and I have to say that I don't like the visuals in the game. I can see that they're impressive, in both style and execution, but they do nothing for me - the colours are just too pastelly and dull and take shine off the landscapes and characters.

One man's art is another man's toilet paper I suppose...

The game looks neat though.

Speaking for myself, I'm honestly surprised that some people on here don't like it - I thought this would be the perfect breeding group for the kind of gamers who'd sell their souls for games like this. I've got the demo too and I think it's awesome; in fact, I'm going to get the Japanese version at the end of the year, and then buy it again for the English option. I need it that much.

Still... I guess people have got to complain about something, haven't they?

The painting got easier for me btw, never managed to pull off that curved brush finishing move that you get on enemies though, not that I could notice anyhow.

It's slightly misleading - you don't draw circles on the enemies when a circle appears on them. Instead, you draw a line through them to 'slash' and you'll cut the enemy in half, scoring an instant kill.

Speaking for myself, I'm honestly surprised that some people on here don't like it - I thought this would be the perfect breeding group for the kind of gamers who'd sell their souls for games like this. I've got the demo too and I think it's awesome; in fact, I'm going to get the Japanese version at the end of the year, and then buy it again for the English option. I need it that much.

Some of us have pretty much final code already :)

It's slightly misleading - you don't draw circles on the enemies when a circle appears on them. Instead, you draw a line through them to 'slash' and you'll cut the enemy in half, scoring an instant kill.

Aaaaahhhh! I had worked out that when those circles do pop up, slashing them finishes them off but I thought there was some kind of special move I was messing up. Thanks for clearing that up.

The only other thing you can do (from what I could tell) is paint over the enemies, covering them in ink and effectively blinding them for a few seconds, making it harder for them to attack you. There's probably more later though, given that there are 13 different paintbrush moves to learn.

Painting other people for no reason is also fun - especially the old woman with the washing line. She fell over. I laughed. And then I stole all the other lady's vegetables from her garden.

And I thought you were supposed to be a good guy in this game...

Some of us have pretty much final code already :P

italgalpal-whatever.jpg

:(

I want it on the XBOX

I want it on the DS. Drawing stuff with the stylus would seem to be the logical thing to do. Clover? Are you listening?

Surely a conversion wouldn't be too hard, as it's more beautiful style than a polygon-fest in terms of graphics, and a slight loss of fidelity would be acceptable in the circs. Seriously, if the DS can do VJ...

Anyway, yet another reason to get a PS2 - I'm sure I'll eventually relent if Katamari gets a Western release, and come Feb when PAL-ites will be drooling over Ueda's Colossi so much that I can't resist.

Weekend job, here we come *sigh*

Now this, I like. The amount of colour is really great and all the little touches and animation make it hard to believe the PS2 is hard at work here :)

The rolling demo shows some amazing stuff; time for a pre-order.

And then I stole all the other lady's vegetables from her garden.

Anybody know if its possible to do her little quest? I did the old lady and her wet clothes but not her. You know you can circle the characters too and they come over a stroke you... do it to the kid and he gives you a hug :D

There's some treasure boxes under the water too, around by the fountain. Probably not in the demo, I dunno. Stupid language barrier :(

/me goes off to play-asia

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...