IGNORED

Okami

Cyhwuhx

It looks mindblowing.

But looks aren't enough.

Who's played it hmm?

You're quite right looks aren't the be all and end all when it comes to games, but I'm not hyped about the game just because it looks absolutely stunning. I'm hyped because just by looking at the couple of trailers released you can see that there is a great game there. Of course there's still plenty of time for Clover to mess it up, but going by the initial impressions of people who have had a chance to play the E3 demo, it's all looking(and playing) good.

It looks mindblowing.

But looks aren't enough.

I wish people said this to themselves before going out and buying shite like Killzone. If they did, maybe gaming would be in the position Hub2 (and anyone who plays games for the 'right' reasons) wants it to be.

• 2 months later...
Looking good as usual, the two videos on there don't show anything new unfortunately but they're nicely done.

What's that CD on the bottom left with the date 16th of September? Soundtrack or maybe a demo? Either one =  :D

Probably a demo you can get, from the Tokyo Games Show.

• 3 weeks later...

So the TGS demo is now 'out there'! Had a quick go and found it pretty slow to progress through it, my not being able to understand any Japanese might have a tiny bit to do with that. I'll have to spend some more time with it, but from the little I've played it has played well, Comes across like a Zelda game but with good control! Initial impressions then are that it's on course to be something special.

So the TGS demo is now 'out there'! Had a quick go and found it pretty slow to progress through it, my not being able to understand any Japanese might have a tiny bit to do with that. I'll have to spend some more time with it, but from the little I've played it has played well, Comes across like a Zelda game but with good control! Initial impressions then are that it's on course to be something special.

Just a quick question that came up in the other thread: is the controll fully analogue and not just 8-way with the analogue stick a la pro evo? Would be good to know.

Just a quick question that came up in the other thread: is the controll fully analogue and not just 8-way with the analogue stick a la pro evo? Would be good to know.

It's fully analogue as far as I can tell, I can run round in pretty perfect circles anyhow. Don't know how it compares to pro evo as I never play the game, sorry.

I'm really enjoying the Okami demo, the Japanese is a barrier but the gameplay still comes through easily enough. Haven't been able to play it much, Everybody's Golf has distracted me amongst other things outside gaming, I'm determined to put some more time into it today though.

A couple of slightly worrying things about the demo, the slow down that is sometimes present and the initial difficulty or should I say inaccuracy of wielding the brush with the Dual Shock's analogue stick. Slow down can of course be fixed, after all there's plenty of time before its release and wielding the brush I'm sure will become better with practice, it does whisper to you though that maybe the PS2 was not the best choice of platform for the game.

Are Zelda's controls bad?

The TGS demo of Okami "Out There" right now, though I see Ford spotted that some time ago. It's labelled "Okami Beta", which suggests it's an early version of the full game, but I'm having doubts.

Anyway, it looks like no game I've ever seen before. It's absolutely spectacular. Even my girlfriend sat and watched me play it, and she couldn't give two shites about my games.

Much like Ford, you'll find it's very tough going without knowing what to do without knowing Japanese, and I can't make head nor tail of it. The PS2 sticks are useless for the frequent "painting" parts. Generally, it all controls very nicely, but other than that, I can't say much since lots of inpenetrable Japanese has slowed me to a crawl.

It's an incredible technical feat, for sure.