IGNORED

Foo Fighters

Mitchell

I'm not too impressed by the album myself.

There are a few ace tracks like 'Best of you' and 'DOA', but most are instantly forgettable, just like 90 % of 'One by One'. It must also be noted that the acoustic stuff is gash.

I think they should have spent less time building a studio to record it in, and more time coming up with a few catchy hooks.

I quite like it to be fair. The acoustic track is very nice to have on in the background. Nothing amazing mind. Razor is fantastic though. Josh Homme is some sort of god.

As for NME... shocking reviews i must admit. The only reason i really buy it is for gig news.

I like all the Foo Fighters albums, but with each one they sound more and more like a Gillette advert.

Having said that, Best of You is destined for a Sure or Lynx advert, surely? And those polished white teeth Dave Grohl keeps showing off, there's something up with that band at the moment.

What were you expecting? The NME always dresses its criticism up as some kind of music thesis because the coverage and knowledge of its journalists is so poor.

Grohl is never going to make your spine do somersaults and you wouldn’t want him to. The guy that once did that – his mate, our Messiah – is dead.

Rofl. Welcome to 1995. Read something else.

Thing is if NME spent their pages talking about music, letting us know news. General discussions. I few interviews. A few features so forth it would be great. But the reviews section is awful

It's all awful, because the magazine exists only to reaffirm the opinions of its readers and build up temporary idols for them to tear down six months later to reassert how cool and alternative the magazine is. It's fucking shit.

It's all awful, because the magazine exists only to reaffirm the opinions of its readers and build up temporary idols for them to tear down six months later to reassert how cool and alternative the magazine is. It's fucking shit.

Yet fundamentally the same as many an internet forum :D

No way. Internet forums are more reliable sources for recommendations and opinions than the music press will ever be because they're full of people that love their music and want to share it with as many people as will listen.

When it comes to petty reviews, though, the NME always excels itself with the Manics. I notice they mention the 'post-Richey' Manics at the end of this Foo Fighters review, too, along with New Order. Basically, the NME likes rock stars that kill themselves, and Foo Fighters, the Manics and New Order all show killing yourself isn't the be-all-and-end-all of music, as well as being survivors and old. The NME is made up of a bunch of Cobain/Curtis/Edwards idol-worshiping nerds with little interest in music.

The Libertines/Babyshables/whatever comes out of that soap opera will be next on the NME's hitlist. They won't forgive Pete Doherty for still being alive. Again it's back to that lack of interest in music, because the last Libertines album, which they wanked over, was the wrong side of average.

When it comes to petty reviews, though, the NME always excels itself with the Manics. I notice they mention the 'post-Richey' Manics at the end of this Foo Fighters review, too, along with New Order. Basically, the NME likes rock stars that kill themselves, and Foo Fighters, the Manics and New Order all show killing yourself isn't the be-all-and-end-all of music, as well as being survivors and old. The NME is made up of a bunch of Cobain/Curtis/Edwards idol-worshiping nerds with little interest in music.

The Libertines/Babyshables/whatever comes out of that soap opera will be next on the NME's hitlist. They won't forgive Pete Doherty for still being alive. Again it's back to that lack of interest in music, because the last Libertines album, which they wanked over, was the wrong side of average.

Bang on the proverbial there.

It's not amazing is it?

But then when have they ever been, really?

I listened back to the Color and the Shape the other day and I was shocked at the quality of over half the tracks on there.

Nothing Left to Lose is the most consistent album since their debut.

I was a little worried after I heard Best of You for the first time, I thought it was good, but if that was the first single I had doubts about the quality of the rest of the album.

Oh well. I was really hoping it would be a brilliant rock album.

That review is actually laugh out loud funny.

Is it a parody thing or something?

I thought that.

But it doesn't seem to be...which is kinda scary. The highlight for me was:

Well, I am not an idiot (I’m barely a journalist for that matter)

Well. Half right.

Although of course he isn't an idiot because he uses the word preternaturally which is LONG and COMPLICATED. It's even used correctly. Although completely unnecessarily which sort of sums up the whole review. It's like a wanky piece of pre-a-level English coursework. That somehow manages to feel more like it was written 10 years ago than being written about a new release.

I'll just gloss over the word Messiah though. That's too easy a target. I'll pick out this paragraph as being the epitomy of bad reviewing and editting:

But he is the most all-American of all all-American rock stars. And the good part of America is a place built on a Protestant work ethic and values of trust, reliability and graft, like the lumberjacks, whose keyword – in this old America that probably never even existed – is honour.

What the fuck is that paragraph doing in there? Just run your cursor over it. Then press delete. Easy.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel whinging about that review. The strangest thing though is that I think he actually quite liked the album. Most bizarre.

Funny though.