IGNORED

Cheap Retro Consoles Advice

cornflake

I've got the 444 and 888-game packs, haven't tried them yet.

Don't buy them off ebay though - the disc images were created and distributed for free, so people selling copies on ebay are lazy scummers.

Do they actually run off some kind of menu system on the CD32? Cos 888 games on a normal CD seems quite hard to pull off (say, if the games were 880k each)

I've never been a massive fan of the Saturn - mine sits in the loft and probably will for a long while (IMHO both the DC and MD are miles better)

My love for the CDi is reasonably well documented on this site. I'd recommend the following

Burn Cycle

7th Guest

Space Ace

Mad Dog McCree

Dragons Lair

Hotel Mario

Voyeur

all great games that utilise the cdi very well in some way or another.

Do they actually run off some kind of menu system on the CD32? Cos 888 games on a normal CD seems quite hard to pull off (say, if the games were 880k each)

Yeah, it loads up a menu system. As far as I can tell it sets up a recoverable ram disc, copies a script there, then resets the CD32 (in order to have as much ram as possible free for running the game).

No idea if there are actually 888 games there, there's no way I'm going to sit and count them all. :D

Yeah, it loads up a menu system. As far as I can tell it sets up a recoverable ram disc, copies a script there, then resets the CD32 (in order to have as much ram as possible free for running the game).

No idea if there are actually 888 games there, there's no way I'm going to sit and count them all. :D

yeah i read somewhere the 444/888 packs take quite a while to load each game.

I've never been a massive fan of the Saturn - mine sits in the loft and probably will for a long while (IMHO both the DC and MD are miles better)

Yeah, to be honest the only reason i ever drag my Saturn out is for Nights. I used to love Sonic R too, but recently (ie a year ago) i went to play it and the controls feel horrible. Urghh.

Nights though... i want a conversion on a newer console.

I spent over £100 on a 3DO (shipping was a bitch) just to play Star Control 2.

It was worth every penny.

Then years later I wrote a massive article on Star Control 2 for Retro gamer magazine, which came with Star Control 2 for free on the cover disc, and recouped all the costs. :P

I like the 3DO.

Hi

Glad you liked my SC piece in RG.

I have several other things in the pipeline too, for both mags. My preferences tend to be for unusual gaming items, and imports from the USA/Japan, so maybe my articles might be more to your tastes? :huh:

Yea, he did the Metal Gear thingy and some Popful Mail stuff.  He should smack Darren with his Steel Battalion controller, if he ever meets up in person (I know I would).

:P

Heh, the boss wouldn't like that. Truth be told, I'd probably just buy him a pint.

Anyway, I hope you liked that PM stuff dude, I know you're a big fan. :D