IGNORED

Killer 7

Yod@

It's out on the net - prerelease version.

First impressions are good, everything seems polished and it explains the controls to you when you start.

I've only played about 10 mins of it, but so far the controls seem pretty simplistic - I can see how the game *might* get a bit repetitive if the rest of the game isn't up to scratch.

It's *very* stylised though, I think this'll be a "love it" or "hate it" game.

It's the GC version. I really haven't spent much time at it yet - will try to play some more later on or tomorrow and post some more detailed impressions.

The gcube version, bad, bad Yod@ <_<

Seen Starwars yet Yod@?

Is the game deaf friendly anyway ? As I have it on order.

Annoyingly, the main cutscenes aren't subtitled, and there's nothing to enable subtitles in the options screen. Shame, because everything else (short character dialogues, items, information) all has text.

I'll give a quick description of the controls first - potential spoilers!:

Hold the "A" button to run forward, press "B" to turn 180 degrees. When running forward, you have no control over the character - if you come to a junction/room/person, the relevant options will pop up on the screen. Use the analogue stick to select an option - if it's a person then you'll talk to them, if it's a direction then just hold A to keep running in the direction you've just selected.

Tap the C-stick in any direction to reload, hold the R trigger to go to First Person mode - here you get to use the analogue stick to move your crosshair around. Tap the L trigger to scan for enemies (so far they all start off with a Predator-style stealth cloak until you scan them). In FP mode, A button is fire, B button is lock onto target; the dpad is used to select different targets.

Here's what I've experienced in the game so far, you may not want to read this if you want to experience the game "fresh":

There's a *lot* of stuff to read up on in-game which I haven't bothered to do yet, but there's something about killing enemies and gathering blood in order to use it to upgrade each character's skills. You start off with just a few characters, but as you kill enemies you get the chance to "wake" more of them.

Each "personality" has different characteristics - different weapons, ammo capacity, firing rates, movement speeds etc.

So far it does seem a little repetitive, but the graphical style is excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not posting an update sooner, but I've had terrible trouble trying to bring myself to play much further.

I promised myself I'd try to get to the end of the second mission before judging it, but I just can't face any more (I'm half-way through the second mission). This game is pants.

The actual controls don't bother me at all, I got used to them very quickly - but there are lots of irritating things about the game.

I find the combat incredibly tedious; having to change between 3rd person and 1st person view all the time to scan for enemies is a pain, especially since some characters have a small delay while it shows them taking out their guns. As I mentioned before, most of the characters are invisible but for some reason you can't shoot them unless you've scanned them. If you don't scan them, your weapons don't hit them.

It sounds petty, but it really grates after a while.

There's a lot of dialogue in the game - not necessarily a bad thing, but it's really breaking up the flow of the game to have so many conversations, especially since most of the conversations don't make any sense at all.

The rest of the game is just too weird for my liking. I'm all for games which have "adult" or "intelligent" themes, but being weird just for the sake of it is pushing things a bit far IMO.

Upsides? At the end of the first mission there's a long anime cutscene - the "proper intro", if you like. There is no intro sequence before you start playing, so finding something that makes sense is very welcome after the insanity of the first mission.

Very minor spoilers:

The cutscene describes how the nations of the world come to an agreement to abolish all nuclear weapons. The world is a happy place until the threat of terrorism emerges under the guise of suicide bombers. Fortunately, there's a group known as the "Killer 7" who have taken it upon themselves to track down and assassinate these terrorists.

That's all you get before the start of the second mission.

I do like the graphics, I think the controls are fine, the presentation is good.

I just don't like the game.

Sorry for not posting something more positive, I feel guilty about slating a game which has been eagerly anticipated by some people for a while now - especially since I haven't bothered to play as far into it as I would have liked. :unsure:

The gameplay has never really looked that compelling, it didn't look terrible though either. Through every interview I've read or seen about the game the developer concerned did always want to push the story over anything else, downside to this is that more often then not Japanese stories tend to lose a lot in translation. I'm still oddly looking forward to it, experiencing this first hand has just got to be done really. When's this out in the US again?

It really does seem to be a 'love' or 'hate' title.

When I saw the recent trailer, I lost a lot of faith in this game being good. I think you're post has effectively destroyed the remaining I had.

Same here I'm afraid. The latest trailer really did make me think "What the hell is this?", even though I've been quite looking forward to this for some time.

I'll see what everyone else thinks, but I'm not going to be buying ti straight away now, that's for sure.

When I saw the recent trailer, I lost a lot of faith in this game being good. I think you're post has effectively destroyed the remaining I had.

Oops. :(

*runs away*

The gameplay has never really looked that compelling, it didn't look terrible though either. Through every interview I've read or seen about the game the developer concerned did always want to push the story over anything else, downside to this is that more often then not Japanese stories tend to lose a lot in translation. I'm still oddly looking forward to it, experiencing this first hand has just got to be done really. When's this out in the US again?

Well, I'll be fair - it *does* look as though they've put a bit of thought into the structure of the story. They've obviously chosen to reveal parts of the backstory as you progress through the game, which does make for the possibility of some excellent twists.

I can't help feeling that it comes at the expense of the player's interest though.

For example, the long intro I described could easily have been shown *before* the first mission, rather than at the end of it - it wouldn't given away anything to spoil the plot, but it would have helped to keep me playing. And after the first mission, I'd presumably have been shown a bit more of the plot before being thrust into the madness that is the second mission.

As it stands, I can see this being a very divisive game. I think there'll be the people who couldn't be bothered to play far enough to learn the story and dismiss the game. Like me, yes. :)

And possibly there'll be people who play the whole way through the game, and hail the game as a masterpiece in the art of game narrative.

TBH I'm looking forward to reading the thoughts of people who do finish the game, so that I can learn the plot without having to put up with all the boring combat.

Or maybe some kind soul will splice together all the cutscenes in order and share the torrent of it. :(

It's out on the net - prerelease version.

First impressions are good, everything seems polished and it explains the controls to you when you start.

I've only played about 10 mins of it, but so far the controls seem pretty simplistic - I can see how the game *might* get a bit repetitive if the rest of the game isn't up to scratch.

It's *very* stylised though, I think this'll be a "love it" or "hate it" game.

Hi Yoda,

Are you playing the Jap or US version? I've got the US one on preorder, but am tempted to cancel that and import the Jap one now if it has English text...

Saurians impressions are always a good read. My mind was made up to get the US version as soon as anyway, his enthusiasm has definitely raised my anticipation for it though.

Have you progressed any yourself Yod@?

Have you progressed any yourself Yod@?

No, haven't played it at all since I last posted any impressions.

I agree that Saurian's impressions are always great to read, but a lot of the things he's mentioned about Killer 7 are a real turn-off for me.

I'm sure a lot of people know by now that I'm a retrogamer at heart. I don't play games to watch my characters saying cool stuff, doing backflips and counters etc on-screen, or being overly surreal - I leave that to films, and prefer to play solid games instead.

I stand by my original statements - the game is undeniably stylish, and will no doubt find a lot of fans; but for me, it just pushes all the wrong buttons and leaves me cold.

This is why I think it'll be a marmite game, but I'll be interested to see if I'm right or wrong about it. :(

This is why I think it'll be a marmite game, but I'll be interested to see if I'm right or wrong about it. :(

I think there is no right or wrong here. People have different tastes. Like you said, what bothers you is someone else's wet dream.