Skies Of Arcadia

nightwaxon

Just sorting out some mp3's on my PC when I came across my Game Music folder. Anyway, started playing some of the Skies of Arcadia tunes again. The memories of playing the game came flooding back. Just love the "Battle with Ramirez" tune. So sweeping and grandious. I am going to sit down tonight and start playing again from the beginning. For authenticity, it will be the DC version I will play (also owning the inferior GC version) due to the uncompressed sound.

Anybody else here a signed up member to the Skies of Arcadia fan club <_<

Great game, but agreed, too many battles. Everything was just so well designed though, from the music to the beautifully detailed and extremely varied environments. I liked the cast of characters too, mainly because they didn't fall into the trap of having more teenage issues than an episode of Dawson's Creek, as most Japanese RPGs do.

I couldn't help but wish though, after sitting through the end credits and marveling at just how wonderful a game Skies of Arcadia was, that Reiko Kojima and her team would go on to work on Phantasy Star V. It didn't happen, of course, but then again, neither did Skies of Arcadia 2... <_<

This game bothers me immensely. It has good characters, an interesting plot, and really beautiful locations. I just couldn't abide by the battles though. I will go buy it again at some point, bust right now I still don' think I'm ready for sitting through random battles, mashing the same button while watching an EXP bar go up.

Argh! Every time this comes up I never understand how anyone finds skies of arcadia anything like moving! Ridiculous characters with the most po faced ham fisted dialog ever in the worst types of stereotype ever to have existed. All locations and character designs are so so bland too, mutter

bah,

The Main changes are

Quicker load times for battles,

Compressed graphics/music,

Less frequent battles,

Lower HP needed due to the less frequent battles

Pistol, a side story character and missions.

More discoveries.

No internet downloads

No VMU use.

Thats about it, everything else is pretty much the same. Ive actually got two copies, one pal one american. Might sell the pal one shortly as it runs too fast on an american gamecube making it playable but annoying as the music is out of sync.

Oh and ive got this, the best LE EVER!

dcimp_eternalarcadiale_ex.jpg Also comes with the only Skies Of arcadia Art book ever produced.

Before i end this post who could forget scenes like these.

skies1.jpg

skies2.jpg

skies3.jpg

You gotta love all the sexual enuendos in the game too. I think people that have completed it will know the big one im talking about.

It sure is more fun to play than FF. Because the story is so cheerful and twisty. The whole begining of the game starts off really funny and vibrant and fun. Which is unusual for an RPG as normally its a boy whos got to become a man/save the world/find the mystical sword/revenge his fathers death etc etc. The whol game plays out like this, you really feel like your on vyse's adventure rather than being dropped in to watch.

The best bits are even though when its all going wrong for vyse or the crew they never let it get to them, they are all so positive and are always trying to help others rather than trying to destroy others because they are self opionated morons.

And theres so many stand out moments in the game, id love to spoil them for you all but i wont, but every single hour is a new twist or a new bit to the story or a new character.

My first proper RPG and still my favourite. The soundtrack is one of the best around and I agree with Spunky Monkey and the Edge Play Extend Feature, it was so positive and happy it was a joy to play despite the random battles. It also had a nice lack of irritating characters for an RPG, Fina being the only one. Whereas FF X which I also played to near completion had me wanting to kill all of the main characters because they were just so irritating, especially Yuna the whiney bitch.

I wonder if the mooted PS2 port had been completed and sold well we would have gotten a sequel, like Headhunter did with Redemption.

One of the first games I got for my DC, but I got really stuck on the first real difficulty spike - the first Giga. I could get through that, but then would get mullered on the ship battle straight after.

Annoying, as I was really enjoying that game up to that point.

The whole game plays out like this, you really feel like your on vyse's adventure rather than being dropped in to watch.

Yes, the sheer sense of adventure is brilliant. Like all RPG's it's very linear, however you really get the feeling that it's you driving the story forward. Only Dragon Quest VII and LoZ: The Wind Waker have for me matched it in that respect.

I'm pretty sure it's not an original concept, but the whole floating islands/boats setting of the game made the whole world seem much more interesting. What's out/down there?.... :)

The random battles were still a bit much though. Sometimes, all i wanted to do was explore and look for discoveries without being constantly interupted. I usually have a lot of patience for random battles, but these really pushed me. ;)

Argh! Every time this comes up I never understand how anyone finds skies of arcadia anything like moving! Ridiculous characters with the most po faced ham fisted dialog ever in the worst types of stereotype ever to have existed. All locations and character designs are so so bland too, mutter

bah,

My thoughts exactly, I found it to be so cliched and saccharine.

Skies of Arcadia is the best japanese RPG I've played. Those random battles sure are numerous, but you know - it never bothered me one bit. In my mind it's all experience points, and you need them in this game.

Random Corleth favourite moment - The Delphinus going into submarine mode!

After watching Revenge of the Sith last week, I kept thinking how Anakin's story is not all that different from Ramirez's.

When are those lovely Sega OverWorks ladies gonna make us another great RPG?

I couldn't stand the game.

I recognise it's a great RPG (I found myself drawn to the characters and music and bright, cherry atmosphere) but I cannot stomach RPGs. Too many random battles. Every time one started, and the screen did its swirly animated thing, I died a little inside. Battles in RPGs are dull and turgid and irritating.

If it wasn't for those battles, I'd play SOA again.

If the GC version has shorter load times to get into the battles, it's worth getting that version for that reason alone! I'm about 20 hours in, but every time I try and go back to it I'm flying around trying to figure out where to go next, with random battles every 10 seconds, which take a minute or two to play through, and are no challenge whatsoever. Which I don't enjoy.