IGNORED

Sonic Gems Collection

Captain Olimer

only played for an hour or so but:

Bad things

1) Why the hell does Sonic CD look REALLY blown up/close in? Obviously bad that its got the USA intro, but we already know that.

2) Sonic the fighters is a bit shit.

3) How shit do the game gear games look? Not the gfx themselves, but the fact that full screen it looks HORRIBLE and small size, whilst looking better - is just a bit bigger than a postage stamp. Why didnt they just use Master system versions of some of these games? Wasted oppertunity.

4) No streets of rage! BOOOOOO! Well for the usa version. Again we already knew that.

Good things

1)Sonic R thankfully controls better than the saturn version (with dpad). I see how extra effects are added - are these from the pc version? Maybe now ill sell my saturn copy.

2) The menus are nice, there seems to be a lot of unlockables.

3) its cheap.

thats it i guess.

EDIT: I beat Sonic R in 15 mins. Well the secret characters gotta be unlocked still. Got to the fourth zone on Sonic CD and its actually not bad! quite enjoying it.

I have the PAL version of Sonic CD on on my Mega CD, and I personally think the soundtrack is terrible. Well maybe not quite terrible, but very dull. The US version on the other hand has a brilliant soundtrack as far as I'm concerned, and now I'll be able to play it without the sound effects randomly dropping out like they do on my emulator. :blink:

Ha ha, you're such a joker. 11/10.

What, its impossible for someone to actually prefer the US soundtrack? I know the general opinion is that the Jap/PAL soundtrack is better, but sheesh :lol:

Redsquirrel, I think there are different soundtracks on the original Sonic CD - Jap and PAL version had the same music, but the US version had different music.

Dont konw how this has translated to the Gems version mind - I think the PAL version of Gems has the US version of Sonic CD though, so its the US soundtrack, or something.

some of the ingame music sounds good, but is there two soundtracks for the ingame music?

Yes. All of the CD redbook audio was different in the US version. IIRC, this is the present and future soundtracks to all levels. SoA didn't change the code, so the past music of the US game doesn't match the present/future versions either.

• 2 weeks later...

Resurrection!

After much faffing about with customs charges and stuff, I finally got this today. I've never actually played any of the games on this (besides the Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage games) before, so here's my run-down on the games:

THEY'RE ALL TOTALLY SHIT.

Sonic Fighters is spazzed out. Sonic CD is a mess. Sonic R is difficult to control, but I might stick with it to see if I get anything out of it. Sonic 2 feels wrong. I got to the 3rd act, and the screen got stuck, so I quit. The rest of the GG games are mangy at best. Tails' Adventure, however, is the most playable game, even if it's very very MOR. Now I've left Sonic CD running through over and over again hoping to unlock other games through 7 hours of gameplay needed.

I wish I'd never payed that £9 customs charge now, let alone the initial payment of £30-ish.

You take that back!

And it makes perfect sense, you got back in time and save the place then go forwards to see the outcome.

Yeah, but the levels are all over the place... there's no "natural" flow that was present in the Megadrive versions. I just saw the boss where you have to hit it via pinball flippers - what the hell?

Slightly OT, but I was looking at the "Plus" thing in a shop again today. I've been periodically tempted, but today I was thinking that this may be a good release for PSP. I assume PSP should be able to do most if not all the games, right? I'm not too familiar with the later games involved so I could be wrong. And for some reason I feel I may be more likely to play these more on a handheld than on the telly.

I agree, Kahless. Although emulation is out there, it isn't 100% perfect yet, and so a collection for the PSP with all of the Sonic games would be aces.

The only problem being the 16:9 ratio of the screen, and the dodgy resolution which would mean upscaling would be needed to fit the image.

Resurrection!

After much faffing about with customs charges and stuff, I finally got this today. I've never actually played any of the games on this (besides the Bare Knuckle/Streets of Rage games) before, so here's my run-down on the games:

THEY'RE ALL TOTALLY SHIT.

Sonic Fighters is spazzed out. Sonic CD is a mess. Sonic R is difficult to control, but I might stick with it to see if I get anything out of it. Sonic 2 feels wrong. I got to the 3rd act, and the screen got stuck, so I quit. The rest of the GG games are mangy at best. Tails' Adventure, however, is the most playable game, even if it's very very MOR. Now I've left Sonic CD running through over and over again hoping to unlock other games through 7 hours of gameplay needed.

I wish I'd never payed that £9 customs charge now, let alone the initial payment of £30-ish.

Have to disagree on sonic cd i quite enjoyed playing through it again (didn`t bother to much with the time travel side as its only a sideoption) but the levels seem to flow well enough for me but the pinball section was abit annoying though. Give time attack a bash thats quite fun.

As for sonic R, not bad to play through again but is very short and finished the lot in just over an hours play. The handling can be abit tricky at first but you soon get used to it.

Have to agree with you on the rest, sonic fighters while looks nice doesn`t play that well and the rest isn`t worth mentioning tbh.

i dont think its bad for £18 or whatever i paid (no custom charge). At first i was very dissapointed, but im quite enjoying sonic cd and sonic r is good for a quick bash every so often. It was one of my fave saturn games, so thats one less reason to drag out the saturn to play a game (now just port Nights).

The GG games are a bit of a waste, they should have used the master system versions.

Anyone have the PAL version of this, then? Can you confirm that Streets of Rage definitely isn't present?

Also, anyone with the Japanese version: how do you unlock the other games? I don't see Streets of Rage anywhere, but there are two (hmm, only two) hidden games on the list. Do I have to open and close the other games or something equally stupid? I can't read the instruction manual, obviously...

Side note: "Sonic Boom" is so much better than "Toot toot Sonic warrior" it's not even funny. :o

Also, anyone with the Japanese version: how do you unlock the other games? I don't see Streets of Rage anywhere, but there are two (hmm, only two) hidden games on the list. Do I have to open and close the other games or something equally stupid? I can't read the instruction manual, obviously...

Not sure of the exact conditions but you have to play (or enter and quit) the games a certain number of times and rack up a certain amount of hours on them collectively to unlock the extra games. There are only two spaces for unlockables initially (which are Vectorman 1+2) but the other games just get added to the list when unlocked.

Velos: Pretty sure that the Japanese version is the only one with the SOR games.

Unlocking stuff: best load up a game, and leave it on the title screen, running for about 7 hours. After this, Vectorman should be unlocked. Load it up once, and then Vectorman 2 should be unlocked (note: after quitting a game, you have to go back to the title screen, and then re-enter the game select screen). After this, Bonanza Bros. should be unlocked (Jap only from here on). Enter, exit, SOR unlocked. Enter, exit, SOR2 unlocked. Repeat for SOR3.

The MD games (Bonanaza Bros., and the SOR games) all have funny buttons, in my opinion - the GC's 'B' button is the MD's 'A', the GC's 'A' is the MD's 'B', and the GC's 'X' is the MD's 'C', with the GC's 'Z' shortcutting for the MD's 'B' + 'C' (back attack in SOR games).

The MD games (Bonanaza Bros., and the SOR games) all have funny buttons, in my opinion - the GC's 'B' button is the MD's 'A', the GC's 'A' is the MD's 'B', and the GC's 'X' is the MD's 'C', with the GC's 'Z' shortcutting for the MD's 'B' + 'C' (back attack in SOR games).

Isn't there a button changing option though?

• 3 weeks later...

Well my UK copy just turned up - since I'm at work I can't test it yet (although there is a Gamecube here somewhere.. maybe at lunchtime :angry:)

Was quite amused to see the usual PEGI rating replaced with a BBFC "U" tho - methinks one of the hidden extras is likely to be an animated video of sorts? Could be any one of the various cartoon incarnations.. Hope it isn't bleedin' AoStH tho :(

M;.

Picked this up for the Cube, and it's really taken me back to my youth. A new MD'esque Sonic game to plough through. The levels seem a little over complicated, but the sense of adventure is great. Fingers are crossed Sonic Rush modernises the formulae that served the franchise so well.

I've also been pleasantly surprised by Sonic: Fighters. Graphically it's surprisingly competent, and the game itself is full of character and easy to get into. Sonic Racers is too fiddly control wise, I'll give it another crack, but I'm finding it the least fun of the three main titles.

The game gear titles are good for a 5 min run through each, but are blatantly there for completists sake. The lack of the Streeets of Rage titles is incredibly mean spirited of Sega, but overall it's a solid package.