Sign in to follow this  
FishyFish

Deus Ex

I bought Deus Ex years ago but it always played a little jerky on my old PC so I never bothered playing too far into the game.

Is it worth going back to on my modern uber-PC?

Persuade me...

Yes, yes and thrice yes. One of the best games I've ever played. The beginning is slow, but bear with it until you've visited a few locations. Enjoy the freedom and morality aspects of the games.

Oh and though your weapon skills will seem awful at the start, things get a lot better once you start powering up. :P

Awesome game!

Is there anything you need to do to get it running properly on current hardware?

If I remember, when it came out it was great in Glide (3dfx API) but rubbish in Direct 3d - has that changed?

Is there anything you need to do to get it running properly on current hardware?

If I remember, when it came out it was great in Glide (3dfx API) but rubbish in Direct 3d - has that changed?

It ran fine on my Win Xp, 9800 pro when I last played it.

I played it again towards the end of last year. Trust me, it's still the best PC game yet made.

Hopefully you won't get round to reading this though, as you'll be playing already.

some of my fave gaming moments have been on Deus Ex, its just great, especially the over the top story telling, i love it.

I've never really played Deus Ex yet played the sequel and need to complete it. I am having a similar situation with Max Payne 2, bought it on Xbox last October but not played it yet.

I go through phases of installing it, playing for half an hour then giving up through boredom.

It's not like the setting and story don't excite me - they do - just that it's awful to play ^_^

It's not like the setting and story don't excite me - they do - just that it's awful to play ^_^

That was my experience when I tried to get into the PS2 version. I'm probably not being fair on it by judging it on that version, though. I've never got to try it on the PC...

I go through phases of installing it, playing for half an hour then giving up through boredom.

It's not like the setting and story don't excite me - they do - just that it's awful to play :(

Well yeah, if you've never gotten past the first few levels. Didn't you notice the augmentation and skills bits?

Spacker. :D

Picked it up on PS2 for £7.49 t'other week...........just as great as I remember it being when I first played it.

Top 10 game of all time for me (possibly Top 5, but I'll have to wait til I get to the area where........ahh, that would be telling...... :D

Even the PS2 port is worth a run through.

One of the best games of this generation in my opinion. It's a bit ugly and the tutorial is a bit annoying, however the game itself has amazing freedom for an RPG.

For the first time in an age I felt like I was playing an RPG not the other way around.

And avoid the Joys of Deus Ex thread, far too many spoilers in there.

Well yeah, if you've never gotten past the first few levels. Didn't you notice the augmentation and skills bits?

Spacker. :D

Oh I noticed them - even implemented a few. Big deal?

And believe me, it pains me to have to slate a game that so many other people hold in such high regard.

Let's not resort to petty name calling - I can't get to sleep and am extremely irritable.

In fact fuck that, let's resort to petty name calling, you wanker!

Oh I noticed them - even implemented a few.  Big deal?

And believe me, it pains me to have to slate a game that so many other people hold in such high regard.

Let's not resort to petty name calling - I can't get to sleep and am extremely irritable.

In fact fuck that, let's resort to petty name calling, you wanker!

You forgot to add an emoticon, and as a result I am now extremely offended.

Ban Request.

Back on topic though, what was it about the gameplay that didn't grab you? I remember being a bit bored by the whole thing initially as well, mainly as I had just played Half Life and was used to barrelling about the place with a machine gun while headshotting marines. In Deus Ex you move slowly, can't use guns, and you're always having to run away from fights. Add to that the fact that you always have 2 or more sets of people telling who to kill etc, and it adds up to a game that initially confused me greatly.

Pretty early on though, it appealed to my weakness for stealth, and later on to my weakness for bladed weaponry (I guess it's the ninja in me). I found it extremely pleasing to develop my character as I wanted to play, and then finding that he was almost invincible through perfection of my playing style.

Those reasons are why I personally love the game, so how about you?

The game can be initially unappealing as I remember thinking "WHY the HELL doesnt my gun seem to hit people?? Where are the one shot headshots?!?" But persevere, and your skills go up. My pistol was the most badass weapon ever. Effectively a sniper rifle towards the end of the game.

ooh and THAT sword.. ^_^ might install it again once ive done deus ex 2