Sign in to follow this  
FishyFish

Deus Ex

You forgot to add an emoticon, and as a result I am now extremely offended.

Ban Request.

Back on topic though, what was it about the gameplay that didn't grab you? I remember being a bit bored by the whole thing initially as well, mainly as I had just played Half Life and was used to barrelling about the place with a machine gun while headshotting marines. In Deus Ex you move slowly, can't use guns, and you're always having to run away from fights. Add to that the fact that you always have 2 or more sets of people telling who to kill etc, and it adds up to a game that initially confused me greatly.

Pretty early on though, it appealed to my weakness for stealth, and later on to my weakness for bladed weaponry (I guess it's the ninja in me). I found it extremely pleasing to develop my character as I wanted to play, and then finding that he was almost invincible through perfection of my playing style.

Those reasons are why I personally love the game, so how about you?

You know what, when I come back home this afternoon I'll install it again - seems about that time of year ^_^

If you replay and like Deus Ex, the game that's currently getting PC gamers knickers in a twist (despite not being hyped and marketed to buggery) is Boiling Point: Road to Hell. Released this friday - Play have been sending out copies since last Friday - a couple of acquaintences have it already and claim it's got it's fair share of ropeyness n(looks not being outstanding, AI a bit rubbish), but if you're able to put those aside, it's basically Deus Ex in the Colombian Jungle and that it's freeform nature across 625sqkm of seamless world is a joy to behold.

Possibly early indications of what STALKER may turn out to be.

Hopefully mine will be waiting for me this evening when I get home (was posted last Friday). Possibly more info later if it is waiting for me - assuming I can drag myself away from it of course.

If you replay and like Deus Ex, the game that's currently getting PC gamers knickers in a twist (despite not being hyped and marketed to buggery) is Boiling Point: Road to Hell. Released this friday - Play have been sending out copies since last Friday - a couple of acquaintences have it already and claim it's got it's fair share of ropeyness n(looks not being outstanding, AI a bit rubbish), but if you're able to put those aside, it's basically Deus Ex in the Colombian Jungle and that it's freeform nature across 625sqkm of seamless world is a joy to behold.

Possibly early indications of what STALKER may turn out to be.

Hopefully mine will be waiting for me this evening when I get home (was posted last Friday). Possibly more info later if it is waiting for me - assuming I can drag myself away from it of course.

Really? I've heard almost nothing of this game, have to give it a go.

claim it's got it's fair share of ropeyness (looks not being outstanding, AI a bit rubbish)

I find that, with all games that go in the right direction with regard to open-endedness, being a bit ropey is par for the course. Deus Ex is undeniably ropey when you look at the animation and AI, and Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines has quite a few harsh pointers at just what can go wrong with the Source engine.

This seems to be quietly slipping out during the E3 hubbub, so possibly it's not entirely sound, but I will check it out in case it has even a glimpse of Deus-Exishness. Cheers.

You know what, when I come back home this afternoon I'll install it again - seems about that time of year :)

Just got this and played the first level yesterday on medium difficulty. I could not beleive how hard it was but multiple save/restarts later I had finished it and was very satisfied with the gameplay. Cant wait till I have more experince to turn myself into more of a killing machine!

Cant wait to get home and have a major session with it over the weekend.

<dreams>An update of this with the havoc engine!!</dreams>

This probably should be in the retro folder lol. Just started playing this a few weeks ago just to see what the fuss was over this game back in the early pc days.  Just up to the mole people bit.  Tough going playing through as it seems incredibly unforgiving and very rough to play in 2018.  I'm going to try and persevere as I've not come across the ability add additional augmentations but have upgraded a few of my skills. I'm sure it will open up once I get some more abilities... I hope.  

Was going to replay HR then 1st play through of MD.  Not sure I was to play IW as I've heard it's one of the weakest in the series.  I love playing through early series games just to see how it started and get up to speed with the characters & universe.  

• Upvote 1

Completed this yesterday.  I can see why it was loved when first released.  The later levels really opened up in terms of routes around the levels so lent themselves to tactical play.  I mostly upgraded my pistol skill and modded the hell out of it so I could two shot enemies with pin point accuracy due to stealth play difficult probably due to lack of the correct stealth augs like silent run, cloak and radar transparency.  The augmentations I mostly upgraded where the targeting and power recirculator and used the regeneration.  Storyline was interesting and went with the merge with Helios end game option.  Combat was still a bit janky throughout especially when trying to melee someone which always ended up a bit Benny Hill esque .  Overall I'm glad I played it to see Deux Ex's roots. Going to skip Invisible War and play HR -Directors cut. next, then MD.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I'd play Invisible War if you get chance. The smaller map segments are lousy but it's an interesting, underrated game.

I loved that game.

IW wasn't bad, but it wasn't a patch on the original and I loathed the universal ammo system.

Given how cheap the games are these days, I might revisit it. I never played the first game on the PC and feel I should give it a go.

Okay youve all convinced me to give IW a chance.  I thought it was universally panned but I guess I should at least try it.  

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

IW wasn't bad, but it wasn't a patch on the original and I loathed the universal ammo system.

Given how cheap the games are these days, I might revisit it. I never played the first game on the PC and feel I should give it a go.

That's what I love about the PC, I've got the whole Deux Ex series ready to play as well as many other game series.