100 Greatest War Films

CarloOos

Of course Saving Private Ryan won, because it's the only bloody war film most of the wankers voting will have seen.

Personally? The Deer Hunter. Closely followed by Full Metal Jacket.

EDIT: Thanks to some irony of the best kind, The Deer Hunter is on next.

Edited by SeanR

Saving Private Ryan was nothing compared to Band of Brothers. I only saw a few bits, I've stopped watching these shows as they totally spoil any film you haven't seen yet :D Where did Platoon come?

I thought the list was very good. And they had good talking heads on it, as well. Everyone from Dominik Diamond to Anthony Beevor, with a bunch of film critics in between.

They also had two of my favourite films in there: The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp, and The Thin Red Line. So kudos to them...

Although, having said that they also had Troy in there, which was an obvious aberration.

Would you have Thin Red Line higher or lower?

I've read opinions of people who both love and despise it. Personally I didn't know what to make of it, it was absolutely stunning to look at and almost always entertaining, but it had no narrative structure at all. The ending just seemed to come at a random point in the film, which was made even more bizzare wbecause they'd only introduced what would seem to be a major new character 2 minutes earlier.

I enjoyed this, I was just extremely disapointed to see that Attack didn't make it in the top 100 when it really deserves a spot. Has anyone else seen this? It's a Robert Aldrich film (Bloke who made the Dirty Dozen) with Jack Palance and Eddie Albert. It's stunning.

I think Lawrence of Arabia should have been MUCH higher too.

Hahaha you have to love the general public!

Saving Private Ryan indeed. I recall the first time I saw it, the opening sequence which one acquaintance thought was "The most amazing thing ever, wow it touched me so deeply"...

I sat there laughing my arse off! How funny was that! All those people getting cut up by bullets, the arms and legs being blown off! Great stuff!

A great start to a film, which then goes downhill due to an overly acting eager Matt Damon, and Tom Hanks. Who, as ever, acts like Tom Hanks...but he shakes a bit. Good acting there Hanks.

Saving Private Ryan indeed. I recall the first time I saw it, the opening sequence which one acquaintance thought was "The most amazing thing ever, wow it touched me so deeply"...

I sat there laughing my arse off! How funny was that! All those people getting cut up by bullets, the arms and legs being blown off! Great stuff!

Yeah, LOLZ!

I've just noticed they had A Matter of Life and Death in there as well (another Micheal Powell and Emeric Pressburger production - like The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp). I should have watched the first half of tonight's show...

Anyway, well done them.

But the problem with these lists is that a bunch of well-informed critics come up with a pretty decent selection of films - then they go and allow the general public to vote which is best! Terribly silly, but good fun obviously!

Wow, Birth Of A Nation made it. Can't get older than that. Maybe not kids afterall. Just the majority.

I assume this was another one of their special kind of "YOU DECIDE the top 100*" polls.

*from a list of 105 films we've chosen

It's an entertaining read, although I couldn't disagree more.  I love the film.

It's been a while since I saw it but I remember not being overly impressed. Possibly because I knew too much about it and was expecting to be blown away. I liked it more than our good friend Mark though thats for sure :D

It's been a while since I saw it but I remember not being overly impressed. Possibly because I  knew too much about it and was expecting to be blown away. I liked it more than our good friend Mark though thats for sure :D

Well, its on Ch4 now. I didn't like it the first time I saw it, the entire opening hour (maybe more) consist of simply a wedding reception and some hunting which bored the fuck out of me, and the rest just seemed random with a few standout scenes.

And then, much later, I bought it on DVD on a whim and watched it again. And it all made sense. Brilliant.

Yeah Deer Hunter bored the fuck out of me, too. Certain bits of it were totally brilliant, though.

The Deer Hunter is one of the worst films ever made

As soon as you make a statement like that, you lose all respect as a critic. Whether it's true or not.

I enjoyed the Deer Hunter.

It has a certain ambience about it and its kinda two films in one - you also get to an insight into life in an Industrial American town which makes for an enjoyably grim setting (even though its set around mountains) - then it gets really nasty.

The whole point of the quite moments is to lull you into their life - and they're not boring either. Theres some fantastic cam work and stunning scaled landscape shots.

I enjoyed the Deer Hunter.

It has a certain ambience about it and its kinda two films in one - you also get to an insight into life in an Industrial American town which makes for an enjoyably grim setting (even though its set around mountains) - then it gets really nasty.

The whole point of the quite moments is to lull you into their life - and they're not boring either. Theres some fantastic cam work and stunning scaled landscape shots.

Exactly. It never clicked with me until the second time I saw it, and ever since I've loved it. I don't find the opening hour boring in the slightest when I actually pay attention.

Shame that the final minute is one of the most cringeworthy scenes of all time, it almost ruins the effect. Great theme though.

Anyone notice that peaceful ambience of B+W films - especially war films (which are generally intresting to watch)?

Theres a relaxing charm with old films like that.

The complete lack of music in many scenes and long fades as a scene finishes.

Of course Saving Private Ryan won, because it's the only bloody war film most of the wankers voting will have seen.

Personally?  The Deer Hunter.  Closely followed by Full Metal Jacket.

EDIT:  Thanks to some irony of the best kind, The Deer Hunter is on next.

Fucking A! FMJ is my fav war movie eva! I just finished watching the Deer Hunter (dvd) and it too is a very emotional and moving film.

Saving Private Ryan however, I do not own on dvd. It's just one of those films you can only watch once a year. It's so full on...I too think it's overated. Ban of brothers owns SPR.

I only saw the last 5, which were:

5. Full Metal Jacket

4. Schindlers List

3. The Great Escape

2. Apocalypse Now

EDIT:  Full list here.

All great movies too. I'm not sure about Schindlers List though. For some reason i don't see the significance of the story at all. Sure the man saved Jews, but he only did it for teh money!

Blackhawk Down at 9. People are fucking idiots.

Thin Red Line at 16. People are fucking stupid.

Troy at 53. I give up.

YOU ARE A FUCKING MORON. please get out of this thread.

I'm not sure about Schindlers List though. For some reason i don't see the significance of the story at all. Sure the man saved Jews, but he only did it for teh money!

WRONGFAX!

If you watch the film again, you'll notice he spent nearly all his money gained during the war paying the Nazi's for his Jewish labour when they should have been heading the way of the big furnace.

He then made sure that all the munitions made at his factory weren't calibrated properly so they wouldn't work. When it looked as if the Nazi's would shut the factory down if it didn't start producing munitions that worked, he spent his last bit of cash on buying munitions in from other factories and made them out to be his own. The reason for this was so that nothing he manufactured was used for killing the allies.

I can't say I'm suprised at the top end of the list even if I don't agree with it.

Although seeing the awful Thin Red Line named anywhere pains me. I really want the three hours I spent in the cinema watching that utter trash back.