IGNORED

Retro Gamer Vol 2 Issue 4

Goose

On the disc - Full version of Bethesda's Elder Scrolls : Arena

Retro Revival - Gauntlet

The Family Computer - Article on the original Japanese Famicom & its disk system sibling

Next Level Computing - Round up of the game available for the Amstrad CPC 6128

Indiana Jones & The Gaming Ark - Indy's adventures in interactive entertainment

A Brief History of Videogames - Part 1 of 3 - History up to Pong to this month

Shadowrun - Exploration of the game

King Mario - The impact of the NES in America

Gilsoft - Interview with the guys behind The Quill

Probotector - A bit of Newsfield history in the form of Nintendo Force Magazine

Desert Islands Disks - Mr Biffo!

Killer Apps - Goldeneye (2 page article)

Other Regulars -

This week in gaming 20 years ago

Son of Arcade Hunt - In search of Classic coin-ops

Games That Weren't - Includes Universal Monsters

Strange Games - The Chou Aniki Series

Japan Happy Play Noise - The world of Japanese retro sports games

High Scores, Retro Auction Watch, Letters & Retro Reviews

I have to agree Meh.

Thi issue is not the best by a long shot. The Indy article was interesting however for the first time in a long while I actually stopped reading three of the articles (Famicon, Japanese gaming and Mr Biffo) as I got bored with he writing halfway through.

Looks like i will be ebaying my complete set as it IMHO not getting any better.

Regards

Simon

Yeah, the Japanese Gaming thing would like to think it's the most interesting thing evah, but it's incredibly dull, really.

I miss the arcade conversions thing, too. :( GamesTMs is a bit woeful (no offence, Strider ;) )

Yeah, the Japanese Gaming thing would like to think it's the most interesting thing evah, but it's incredibly dull, really.

I miss the arcade conversions thing, too. :D GamesTMs is a bit woeful (no offence, Strider ;) )

I've just been blessed with a second child, so you can say what you like this month mate, I'm too happy to care :(

It's being going very hit and miss since volume 2 appeared. And I've got bored of sifting through the disks, it's like those £2 compilations of shareware games you used to get from "the works" - why don't they do another audio cd of genuine game music? the c64 one was 'well wicked'

pity really, as most of vol.1 was a fantastic read. i'll keep going with it though, incase it picks up and stops with the dodgy articles about film licensed games and space games about 6 people have heard of

I have to agree with you, sda. RG really does seem to have gone downhill somewhat over the past few month.

Interesting you mention the C64 music CD. It's the only disc of RG's that I've actually used. The others get taken from the mag and go on my shelf, never to be used again.

Strider - excellent news, mate. Congratulations. You can stop now, or have the chop ;)

I was a little disappointed they chose the CPC6128. I thought they'd go with the Plus.

But then I realised that after you discount the cartridge games (which had already been covered when they did the GX4000) you've only got Stryker and the Crypts of Trojan, Prehistorik 2 and Fluff. And that's it. Which would have been a rather shit article.

I think this issue of RG is pretty good - Since the new look (and they got rid of the wasteful page intro's) there seems to be more information fitted in. One annoying aspect is that some articles should be longer, whilst the odd article (about specific games) are about three pages too big!

It was good to see the unpublished 'Nintendo Force' review and the Famicom feature was very informative.

I liked the Shadowrun article. The SNES game was brilliant, but I never played the Mega Drive version, and finding info about the Mega CD version is nigh on impossible. If Microsoft were to release a compilation of all 3 on their Xbox it would be an instant purchase for me.

Glad you liked the Shadowrun article, one of my aims was to explain the Sega CD version some moe, drum up interest. I heard some translators were trying to patch, I even offered a copy free to some people at Zophars, but things have gone quiet over the months. They really should patch it. It would also make sense for MS to release compilation, considering they own the game rights....

How many Sega CD screenshots did they use? I must have sent them over 50 screengrabs I took, inlcuding many of the Matrix runs, did they use a lot?

Otherwise I'm also pleased so many people liked my Star Control article, I wish more people would play it, it really was a work of passion and a very good game too.

Otherwise expect plenty of other good stuff, for several publications, from me in the future. :lol:

I only bought this a few days back, so am astill rummaging through it.

Thoughts so far:

- Gauntlet article - Does a good job of covering all (have they missed any out?) different versions of Gauntlet, but would have been nice if there was more about how the original game came into being. Also, there was no comment about this being the first game to really start the continuous popping in of pennies trend which is commonplace these days.

- History of Videogames - Absolutely nothing someone who's intro retro gaming wouldn't know, but very well written indeed. As a piece of literature to educate the masses it does a great job.

- Digitiser article - Digi was never really my cup of tea, but the article is an interesting read, and well put together. If you were into Digi, this is a must read.

My overall opinion so far is that it's one of the best issues of RG for quite some time.

Will report back on further findings once I've read more.

Rob

You don't want to lose the cover disc now.

I have secured some VERY exciting and very prominent content for the disc. Im talking BIG stuff here. But that's all I'm going to reveal now.

Suffice to say, it isn't remakes! ;)

Seriously, HUGE stuff planned for the disc, stuff that has taken around 2 months just to secure. Amazing stuff, just hang in there.

I have secured some VERY exciting and very prominent content for the disc. Im talking BIG stuff here. But that's all I'm going to reveal now.

Suffice to say, it isn't remakes! ;)

Seriously, HUGE stuff planned for the disc, stuff that has taken around 2 months just to secure. Amazing stuff, just hang in there.

Aha! A person from RG posts here and I didn't know. Excellent. Expect much moaning from me, just like strider from GTM gets :(

He writes for me as well so I expect you to be twice as harsh :lol:

It's harder to slag off RG when it actually covers retro, as they cover some really bizarre stuff at times. Give us a Freescape feature! Bring back the arcade conversions! Stop reviewing modern games! Mario 64 was meant to have unfiltered textures and a low resolution, ehhhhh? My arse. (WINK)

Psst, Strider - Klonoa and Ace Combat 2 were never in the arcades.

Get rid of that advert for the arcade conversion you cover each month. You could cover more that way, lazy git :wub:

Or just get me to do them, 'cos I'm the greatest. :P

Bang-on about Renegade this month, though.

Get rid of that advert for the arcade conversion you cover each month. You could cover more that way, lazy git :lol:

True, but that would be too similar to what RG attempted in the past and I don't rip people off so it will stay in the current style. I do need to maybe cover some different formats though...

Glad you liked the Shadowrun article, one of my aims was to explain the Sega CD version some moe, drum up interest. I heard some translators were trying to patch, I even offered a copy free to some people at Zophars, but things have gone quiet over the months. They really should patch it. It would also make sense for MS to release compilation, considering they own the game rights....

How many Sega CD screenshots did they use? I must have sent them over 50 screengrabs I took, inlcuding many of the Matrix runs, did they use a lot?

Otherwise I'm also pleased so many people liked my Star Control article, I wish more people would play it, it really was a work of passion and a very good game too.

Otherwise expect plenty of other good stuff, for several publications, from me in the future. :lol:

I must get around to playing the Mega Drive version some day just to see what it's like. I saw the Mega CD version for sale on VG+ once, I think it was going for some silly price (over £100). I'd love to get hold of the iso and have it patched in English and then made into a pal disc to run on my Mega CD. I never knew you could actually do that.

In answer to your question, they used a fair amount of screenshots. 4 from the matrix, 2 from normal gameplay (I assume anyway), one of the box art (maybe?) and another one showing a 2 page advert for the game. All great stuff, and like I said before, reading all about the Mega CD version was really interesting as so little is known about it. Cheers.

True, but that would be too similar to what RG attempted in the past and I don't rip people off so it will stay in the current style. I do need to maybe cover some different formats though...

How? They've had like 4 pages dedicated to conversions at some points. Come on, give me one more page to slag off.

Suffice to say, it isn't remakes! :o

Gosh, sounds exciting!