Post Your Gaming Setups

I finally have things tidied to a standard where I can show my new setup as of this week. Layte actually did me a favor sticking my old setup at the top of the page, saves me doing it :rolleyes: After the previous shot was taken, I added a 14" crt so I could play my Snes etc in 60hz, as there were problems running 60hz snes on my lcd.

2639437827_a3dda7eeba_b.jpg

As you can see, the 14" has gone again and theres not a retro console in sight. The Wii covers those now. It's just so much easier, and means I don't have to squint at a tiny portable. Not only that but it means less plugs and wires!

The Tv is the 1080p LG I got in December, which I'm still very happy with. It won't do 1:1 1080p over a DVI->HDMI cable for some reason (does 1080p over vga, component and straight hdmi though) and doesn't like 60hz snes, but for everything else I have no complaints. The ps3, one of the 360's, the Sky+, the Mac Mini and the Apple Time Capsule are all the same as before. The big white thing is my printer, which finally has a place 8 months after I bought it! It uses wi-fi so it's quite handy to stick it in the bottom of the stand. Above that is a Sony turntable, which is a recent addition. Under the stand is a Apple keyboard for easy access for MGO use. The wireless keyboard on the top of the stand is for the Mini.

The amp is new, and is a Yamaha AX861SE that due to being discontinued cost half of it's £500 rrp, it also weighs a ton and I had to remove part of the side of the stand to get it in there! The front left and right speakers are supposed to be standing up, but they don't fit the stands! (which I didn't get any screws with anyway!). So I turned them round to use the bottom screw hole and wedged some cardboard underneath them to support them. I've not run the cables through the stands yet, I'll do that later. The rear speakers are just 'resting' on things at the moment, I'll probably screw them to the wall. The sub is to the left of the tv.

The image on the screen is of the Mac port of XBMC. I've been using it a couple of months ago, and it's updated every couple of weeks fixing a few bugs I've encountered. I can start it with a single press of the menu button on the Apple Remote, and I can do all the navigation selection and quitting from the remote itself. The only thing I need a keyboard/mouse for is text entry. It also has the benefit of running on a mac mini and so being much smaller, quieter and cooler then a xbox. I've installed a slightly modified version of the Project mayhem III skin to give it more of a Mac look (icons, color and images). I've also been investigating a much more Mac styled skin, but I need to change some of the graphics a bit before I give it a proper try I think.

2640268170_7d5fd2f079_b.jpg

I finally organised all my games, books and such. Rock band drums are there for conveniance, the stand is propped up to the side of the bookcase. The bookcase is 2 rows deep, is handy. Even then I've got quite a few located on another set of shelves.

There are no "dolls" this time purely because I've only just got everything set up. That said, there won't be as many this time if any for no reason other then theres less room for them - blocking the speaker or access to wii or the joystick on the right isn't going to happen.

Aside from the glass which will explode into a gazillion pieces. I just hope the top bit doesn't blow up - I reckon it's £30 worth of glass just for the top part (not including cost of toughening it as i can do that myself). Even though i work for a glass company I won't be able to get it free as it's not standard stock we carry (4mm, 6mm fine. But that's 10mm sandblast), so I'll have to get it cut to order by another branch :rolleyes:

Indeed. The apple tv and the time capsule/airport extreme do look similar certainly, but thats what Apple were going for. The Apple tv is a flawed device, it's designed for getting video from Apple and Apple only. Okay so you can stream converted video too by why would you want to convert everything?

The mini on the other hand is perfect, aside from the lack of proper HDMI. I can rip dvds, do all my bittorent/usenet downloads on it, and use it for video/music streaming (the OSX port of XBMC is vastly superior to Apple's front/backrow). The mini is wired to the Time Capsule (which aside from being a automated wireless backup device, is also a 802.11b/g/n + gigabit router), and a 750gb HD is connected to the Time Capsule for use as a network drive. The consoles are wired to the Time capsule as well and the time capsule receives network data from a ethernet-over-power system connected to the router downstairs - avoiding difficulty in getting a decent stable wifi-g signal. The time capsule allows me to use a wifi-N signal with my Macbook pro (especially handy for wireless backups), but also allows me to access the wifi-G network running off the downstairs router for compatability needs with older devices.

tv.jpg

Not really 'gaming' as I don't own a console, but there's a pic of my telly with its HD DVD player. I wanted it to play movies and that's what I got.

Sorry for the shite pic, the angle's well funny - makes all the pics look wonky but they're not!

Always take pics with TV on :)

My setup is a bit temporary until I can afford a PROPER TV unit. Saw a lovely glass one in The Range today for £60, so may pick that up at some stage.

My ace cabinet, box set stuffs, and posters etc.

2653113041_c0747a39c3.jpg

My console mashup (Due to mentioned lack of TV unit :P)

2653937260_fa6f0668bc.jpg

The Setup (Xbox was on dark screen standy by thingy)

2653936590_4e1df4d9cc.jpg

I like it, for being a tempy crappy thing!

Always take pics with TV on :)

My setup is a bit temporary until I can afford a PROPER TV unit. Saw a lovely glass one in The Range today for £60, so may pick that up at some stage.

My ace cabinet, box set stuffs, and posters etc.

2653113041_c0747a39c3.jpg

My console mashup (Due to mentioned lack of TV unit :P)

2653937260_fa6f0668bc.jpg

The Setup (Xbox was on dark screen standy by thingy)

2653936590_4e1df4d9cc.jpg

I like it, for being a tempy crappy thing!

7.jpg

I am however in the same situation so Rllmuk designers, what should we both get?

• 1 month later...