IGNORED

What Are You Playing?

Farley

Dishonored.

Again.

Both this and the sequel are almost perfect games for me. I adore everything about them - the world is so rich with detail, the artwork has aged wonderfully well, and the sheer amount of ways you can accomplish missions is so good.

Also, the animations for killing people are still the best I've ever seen. For this reason alone, I'd recommend them, but when you chuck everything else in the mix...well, they're just terrible special games, and I still resent the world for not buying more copies of them so I could carry on my (mis)adventures as the Empress's Protector.

9 hours ago, JoeK said:

Dishonored.

Again.

Both this and the sequel are almost perfect games for me. I adore everything about them - the world is so rich with detail, the artwork has aged wonderfully well, and the sheer amount of ways you can accomplish missions is so good.

Also, the animations for killing people are still the best I've ever seen. For this reason alone, I'd recommend them, but when you chuck everything else in the mix...well, they're just terrible special games, and I still resent the world for not buying more copies of them so I could carry on my (mis)adventures as the Empress's Protector.

I never got into Dishonored 2 on my PS4 Pro because of its sub 30 fps performance. I tried to like it several times but it just felt too sluggish. Does it perform better on the Series X? If it’s at least 1080p60 I’m willing to give it another go.

I’m still going with Plague Tale but my god the bit in chapter 16 when you have to

Spoiler

shoot guards whilst Rodric is pushing the cart to shield you from archers is bullshit. 

Not had any problems during the game with shooting guards with my sling yet repeatedly failed this due to what I can only assume is glitchy targeting. Incredibly frustrating and such a shame as put a dampener on what feels like is getting close to the climax of the game. 

I’m also playing Last Stop, about 5 chapters in. Serves as a bit more of a relaxing experience to wind down with before bed. They’ve done a great job of the setting, and as someone who moved away from London (temporarily) about a year ago it’s making me miss the place even more. 

16 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

I’m still going with Plague Tale but my god the bit in chapter 16 when you have to

Reveal hidden contents

shoot guards whilst Rodric is pushing the cart to shield you from archers is bullshit. 

Not had any problems during the game with shooting guards with my sling yet repeatedly failed this due to what I can only assume is glitchy targeting. Incredibly frustrating and such a shame as put a dampener on what feels like is getting close to the climax of the game. 

I’m also playing Last Stop, about 5 chapters in. Serves as a bit more of a relaxing experience to wind down with before bed. They’ve done a great job of the setting, and as someone who moved away from London (temporarily) about a year ago it’s making me miss the place even more. 

I think it's the first time I've heard someone say they miss London. 

The game is quite good, though, I particularly loved the body swap story and the man in the pool one was quite good too. Wasn't too keen on the civil servant one, I didn't connect with the protagonist in that story (I honestly thought she was a bitch) but as a whole I found the game and its format to be a breath of fresh air among all the shooters, driving games and rogue likes we seem to get loads of these days. 

Endless Tarkov for me..still. It's just the simple quick raid or five that does it. Absolutely love it, particularly with the new patch. Nothing comes close to the thrill it gives even though I'm still pretty rubbish. What a game. 

Then Cloudpunk when I want to just relax. Looks beautiful, stunning soundtrack and zooming about the city is a lot of fun. Even some good and quite funny social commentary and conversations if you care to invest. Other than that it's really just a take a from point b to point c which I normally get very bored of but not with this. 

Then there's tlou2 which I'm not sure I'll ever finish tbh. Got about half way through and it's just so goddam bleak I can't muster up the enthusiasm to play it any further. First is one of my all time favourites as well. I think a new kid and eternal tiredness has robbed me of the ability. 

Oh and the Ratchet and Clank remaster (?) with my daughter, nearly finished then on to the new one. 

The Last Stop: I loved the whole thing. These people made Virginia, bought that in a sale years ago and thought it was total shit. This however was great. Most engaging game of its type since Everybody has gone to the rapture. Playing back through the chapters to mop up the trophies. Real sense of place, felt pretty unique, very London, nothing like it in games but felt like a UK TV show.

Now I've finished it think I liked all three stories equally. I get you aren't supposed to like the cheating lady, it's played from her perspective and she hates herself, quite brave of them to go with a story like that for a third of the game. I think it paid off. The last chapter was a bit out there but fine by the end. 

Been re-playing though the codemasters games added to game pass/ea. They all seem to run smoother on Xbox sx than PS4 pro. Love Grid think it was v.underrated. dirt rally 1 and 4 are a bit aged now. Dirt 2.0 shines. Kinda telling they added their whole line up but forgot about onrush.

Burnout Paradise Remastered (Switch)

For some reason I never got round to playing this so when it was £7 on Switch I couldn't resist.

For the first hour I was a bit bemused; cruising around and not really knowing what I'm supposed to do or aim for. But now it seriously has its hooks into me. It's the perfect game to dick around in for ten minutes (which usually ends up nearer two hours) and the balance, sense of speed and handling suit the handheld format perfectly.

I don't have online though. Am I missing much?

4 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I've not played the Switch version but on PC and Xbox, the online bit works kinda like it does in Forza Horizon, you get the lap/race records of your friends to compete againts, even though you play singleplayer. 

7 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

For some reason I never got round to playing this so when it was £7 on Switch I couldn't resist.

For the first hour I was a bit bemused; cruising around and not really knowing what I'm supposed to do or aim for. But now it seriously has its hooks into me. It's the perfect game to dick around in for ten minutes (which usually ends up nearer two hours) and the balance, sense of speed and handling suit the handheld format perfectly.

One of the best multiplayer games ever imo. Even better when you had the xbox camera and it took a snapshot of your angry face whenever someone wrecked you for them to see. 

But it was the challenges that were just amazing. Me and 8 friends doing all the insane stunt challenges was just incredible fun. 

12 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I’m still in the bemused part myself. I wish there was just a list of events to choose from as I can’t say I’m a fan of driving around to find the next race, the handling model doesn’t really feel right for a open world anyway. 

Last Stop - Xbox (Gamepass)

This is a strange thing indeed.  Initially compelled to download it because it's free and there's a spoiler filled thread on here that made it sound interesting, Last Stop has me hooked and I'm not sure why.

The first 5 minutes are made up of a nice intro and it leads you down a path of familiarity.  Oh right, it's like Heavy Rain. Yes, I quite liked that on PS3. I'll stick with this and see where the story goes.

And the story does go places and it's pretty interesting.  And it's a good job, because there's literally no game here at all.  You don't fail the QTEs. If you stop pressing the buttons the game just waits for you to carry on. And although each conversation allows you to pick from multiple responses they don't make any difference to the story.  It's like someone took those bits of The Last Of Us where you control the character as they walk forward and have a conversation and made a 7 hour game out of them.  

This is compounded by the way that all journeys are from A to B but many screens have branching paths. You enter the screen from the south, walk East until you hit an invisible wall and realise you should have gone west instead. And none of the character control amounts to anything anyway, it's literally a movie that forces you to control the character and press buttons, but you can't do anything other than follow the plot.  It's like Dragon's Lair, only you can't die and you can't do anything. 

But something has drawn me into the story and now I wish I could just sit back and watch it.  I'll play it to the end because I want to see how it works out.  But whatever the hell this is supposed to be, it's not a game, not interactive, it's no fun at all and I'm really enjoying it.

18 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Shooters were always my favourite genre back in the coin-op/8-bit/16-bit eras, but they lost me a bit when everything went bullet hell/puzzley. Never got on with any of the famous Japanese shooters and always longed for something that was more like the cabs I used to play in the 80s and early 90s. Thunderforce IV was the last shooter that truly clicked for me, until I discovered Skyforce Reloaded. Playing on Xbox today but this game is also amazing on mobile and PS4, Xbox is the third version I've bought. It's also out for the Switch but I've not played that version.

First thing that I love about this is it's full screen on console, not a lazy mobile port with a vertical playfield with massive left and right borders. Coming from the mobile version I didn't expect this.

Gameplay - this is classic Raiden, 1942, Twin Heli, Terra Cresta. The upgrade system is drip-fed to you with collectible stars, but there's also a really deep risk/reward structure with collectible cards, medals for completing levels untouched, rescuing survivors or destroying all enemies. You're constantly edging towards unlockables, whether it's a new ship with different stats or co-pilots with varying abilities who will help you during a level. You'll have to choose if your stars go into upgrading your ship's weapons or buying some extra smart bombs or shields - lots of decision making and approaches meaning you'll never get frustrated or brickwalled. There's always a way, even if you brute for it.

It is insanely addictive because of its structure and unlockables, but there is something so satisfying and slick about the gameplay - the tinkling of the stars when you collect them, the feel of pumping an enemy full of missiles and the screen shake when it explodes, the beautifully detailed and animated graphics, the whole package is so polished and gorgeously presented.

I just wanted to bring some attention to this game because I almost never see it mentioned. If modern shooters have lost you because of their patterns and systems - this is your game.

SereneHoarseBongo-size_restricted.gif

Rinsed this on mobile many, many times and then start all over again each time I update my phone. And you're spot on about the upgrades system. Great stuff.

Football Manager 2021 continues to consume my time, currently in 2033 with Villareal after a successful 10 year stint with Newcastle.

Otherwise, just started Returnal on PS5. Great visuals but early days on that one!

Considering purchasing Ghost of Tsushima but the price-point is putting me off biting, is it worth a go? I do have a backlog a mile long. Hmm.

I've been playing an awful lot of FM20 over the past week and even though I still think it's full of loads of trash that adds nothing to the game (I mean, honestly, who actually looks at the social feed stuff or does any press conferences?), I've quite enjoyed my lower league Swedish save. The match engine though is still appalling, with horrible animations and actions that, because of the limitations within the engine just look awful - great example being a keeper made a save on the line, but then just stood there watching the ball for a good 7-8 seconds whilst my forward ran completely alone (the defence had already pushed up as if it was a goal kick or something) to tap the ball the 0.1cm it needed to be counted as a goal. It was hilarious (in a bad way) to watch, but the game is full of it similar stuff.

It's so distracting and frustrating when you see your defender standing still inches away from the ball making no movement, instead allowing the opposition striker time to collect it and score. I remember years ago when it was explained that it is due to the 3D engine not being able to parse the underlying calculations properly, hence why it looks odd when viewing it. It's still a wonder to me that they have persisted with it for so long when it remains so hideously janky; after playing Championship Manager 01/02 at night on my laptop at night whilst watching the Olympics recently, it's hard to say it's improved the game at all really (and that is true of a lot of the fluff that's been added).

Those gripes aside, it does pull you into the gameworld when hunting for freebies to help my little non-league semi-pro team rise to the top of the Swedish pyramid.

I agree with most of that, @Gabe. I generally don't care that the animation of the match engine looks basic for the most part, because it's absorbing enough to watch, but the times when it doesn't convey the information you need in order to explain the underlying behaviour are definitely annoying.

There's a general rule of thumb in game AI that the AI needs to do additional work in order to show its intelligence or hide its faults - it's why in an FPS, you've got constant barks by the enemy that either let you know they're carrying out some particularly intelligent movement, or alternatively are pretending to in a way that makes the player think they're smarter than they actually are. When the AI is doing something with some semblance of logic and reason, giving the player some info about why it made the decision it did actually makes it look more intelligent (and gives the player more to work with to combat it) than if it's all hidden away. 

FM's match engine falls down massively on this front. If a player doesn't appear to react on time, what's the reason - did he lose his bearings, was he taken by surprise, did he lose his footing, was he complacent, did he assume someone else had it covered, or is it just a bug in the game causing the player to freeze indecisively? Those all look the same - a motionless player standing and watching. Some reaction animations to help explain the logic would go a long way.

On 18/08/2021 at 09:56, Uncle Nasty said:

Shooters were always my favourite genre back in the coin-op/8-bit/16-bit eras, but they lost me a bit when everything went bullet hell/puzzley. Never got on with any of the famous Japanese shooters and always longed for something that was more like the cabs I used to play in the 80s and early 90s. Thunderforce IV was the last shooter that truly clicked for me, until I discovered Skyforce Reloaded. Playing on Xbox today but this game is also amazing on mobile and PS4, Xbox is the third version I've bought. It's also out for the Switch but I've not played that version.

First thing that I love about this is it's full screen on console, not a lazy mobile port with a vertical playfield with massive left and right borders. Coming from the mobile version I didn't expect this.

Gameplay - this is classic Raiden, 1942, Twin Heli, Terra Cresta. The upgrade system is drip-fed to you with collectible stars, but there's also a really deep risk/reward structure with collectible cards, medals for completing levels untouched, rescuing survivors or destroying all enemies. You're constantly edging towards unlockables, whether it's a new ship with different stats or co-pilots with varying abilities who will help you during a level. You'll have to choose if your stars go into upgrading your ship's weapons or buying some extra smart bombs or shields - lots of decision making and approaches meaning you'll never get frustrated or brickwalled. There's always a way, even if you brute force it.

It is insanely addictive because of its structure and unlockables, but there is something so satisfying and slick about the gameplay - the tinkling of the stars when you collect them, the feel of pumping an enemy full of missiles and the screen shake when it explodes, the beautifully detailed and animated graphics, the whole package is so polished and gorgeously presented.

I just wanted to bring some attention to this game because I almost never see it mentioned. If modern shooters have lost you because of their patterns and systems - this is your game.

The last two days Ive been thinking about old school shooters and wondering whether there was anything on the PS4.  I'm totally out of the loop game wise, so had no idea what would be worth my time.....then I walk into this thread which I'm not sure I've ever been in and two posts down...boom, you've just made my day.

I'm gonna check this out, thank you.

On 30/08/2021 at 11:40, Chewylegs said:

The last two days Ive been thinking about old school shooters and wondering whether there was anything on the PS4.  I'm totally out of the loop game wise, so had no idea what would be worth my time.....then I walk into this thread which I'm not sure I've ever been in and two posts down...boom, you've just made my day.

I'm gonna check this out, thank you.

Great to hear, hope you enjoy it. There's so much hidden depth and unlockables to chase in this game that it's hard to imagine ever completing it. Collecting stars to pump into the radar scanner to search for rare items is crazy addictive, especially if you find a card that gives you bonus stars for 15 minutes. The balancing and intricate way the systems overlap is really clever and not something I've ever seen in a shooter before.

Dead Space 2

I had this on the 360 way back after adoring the first, and gave up relatively quick. It really is Aliens to the original's Alien. 

I think at the time I was looking for that slower burn, but revisiting it now thanks to the glory that is Gamepass Ultimate, its a fucking fun ride, ain't it?

Moves along at some lick, lovely set pieces and it still has that weird messed up sci fi horror vibe I love. Event Horizon is one of my favourite schlocky horrors and I'm getting that feel from this in places.

Despite being 720p and with no AA it still holds up relatively well graphically. Onto Chapter 4!

Just started Aliens: Fireteam Elite. Only two missions in but initial impressions are very good. I'm a sucker for a license I love and there's few I love more than Aliens (pre-Prometheus anyway). I can happily see past the obviously scripted set pieces because I get to shoot Xeno's during them. Hopefully I'll get some time to give this a good thrashing tomorrow and work through a few more missions. 

Still playing very little.

I just can't find the *desire* to play anything much.

I bought the Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut upgrade and have played a couple of hours but it hasn't grabbed me and made me *want* to play it.

I've set myself a challenge to not buy any games in September despite having Kena, Deathloop and Lost Judgment on my list. The way I'm feeling at the moment I don't think it'll be that tough a challenge to achieve.

Samba de Amigo - full set up with the official maracas. Such fun!

Cosmic Smash - really needs an update with a level select option. 

Rez Infinite - first time playing Area X and I just want more (or to try it in VR). 

Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst (Ephinea server) - Playing some Dreamcast games recently gave me the urge to play PSO too. Not played for several months and annoyingly levelled up my MAG with the wrong stat, meaning my Android character has 3 photon blasts without Shifta and Deband, so I ought to start again with a proper plan!

On 18/08/2021 at 09:56, Uncle Nasty said:

Gameplay - this is classic Raiden, 1942, Twin Heli, Terra Cresta. The upgrade system is drip-fed to you with collectible stars, but there's also a really deep risk/reward structure with collectible cards, medals for completing levels untouched, rescuing survivors or destroying all enemies. You're constantly edging towards unlockables, whether it's a new ship with different stats or co-pilots with varying abilities who will help you during a level. You'll have to choose if your stars go into upgrading your ship's weapons or buying some extra smart bombs or shields - lots of decision making and approaches meaning you'll never get frustrated or brickwalled. There's always a way, even if you brute force it.

This is such a great recommendation, picked this up last night and spent hours already on the switch....thanks for the heads up. 

I played an hour and a half of Grindstone this evening on PC. It's obviously a phone game (originally it was released on Apple Arcade but has since been ported to PC and Switch), but I'm loving it all the same. Very addictive and extremely satisfying when you get a long run. It balances risk and reward really well, too. Great stuff :) 

PC: Destiny 2. New season stuff, as ever. Trying to keep up with the seasonal challenges but I'm missing a bunch of umbral focus goals because I haven't received many umbral engrams lately. Oops.

Also PC: Rhythm Doctor, and the Muse Dash crossover song pack. Nice tunes, awesome note charts.

Back on the road with snowrunner.

slightly addicted to it again.
Finished the main game last year, got all the dlc since but only just now going through it.

I have no idea why, I don’t know where the reward is. It’s a pain in the arse. They litterlly are putting their foot out trying to trip you up at every turn, everything is way more complicated than it should be but you know I’ll buy the year 2 content this week 😕