What Are You Playing?

Farley

Mass Effect 3 (Legendary Edition) (PC)

Final leg of my run through the remaster and I am flagging a little as whilst there are some clear combat improvements and streamlining of the more tedious side stuff, there are also a few weird quality of life back steps (like the quest log for one), and the difficulty level is really weirdly pitched; generally it’s too easy on normal but hardcore is frequently too brutal.

Overall however it’s probably more

of a case of 100+ hours from the previous two games and straight into this is perhaps a little much as objectively I am still really enjoying it and I still maintain that up to the conclusion (which I don’t think is that bad anyway) it has the best plot and character moments of the series. About to do that mission on Tuchunka (and will be going for the same choice, sniff Morden) so fair way to go yet and looking forward to playing the three DLCs as didn’t play any of them in the original release.

The remaster does look good, but as if often the way mainly the way I remember the game in my head rather than what it really looked like…

Given the above I’ve been mixing it up with:

Prodeus (PC)

So this is basically Doom (2016) with the visual style of the original Doom. The guns feel great, it’s got that same relentless hook and great to dip in and out of doing a mission or two as a palate cleanser from ME.

And it’s on Gamepass too!

Dark Souls 2 (Series X). Still.

I created a second character for my five year old daughter a few months ago to please her as she likes mucking about in DS2. I've spent more time with her character than my own! Hers is now over Level 200 and mine is still about 170. I've killed Sir Allone with hers but can't down the bastard with mine! 

28 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I'm doing the same, on the same system. It's replaced the micro as the best gameboy I've ever owned. It's just so, so good!

Yeah it's brilliant. I have owned a few of these retro handhelds and it's by far the best I have used. Currently running 351elec as a front end and its sleek as hell. 

What have I got on? Hmm. Well, there's a few games I'm in the middle of to varying degrees of time.

Psychonauts - Just started playing this tonight in anticipation of the sequel. It's got a jolly good vibe and I'm looking forward to seeing all those inventive levels again. Oddly I 100%-ed this in 2011 or so but it says I've only got half the achievements, so I guess they updated those at some point after?

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood - This is technically superior to the AC2: more variety, more challenges and more quests. Trouble is, I haven't been feeling it as much as the previous game. I think this is down to the story which goes in about ten different directions at the start compared to AC2, which put me off a bit. Story-aside, however, I like it in the moment, though it's not always first in my list. About 50% through.

Camera Obscura - An indie puzzle-platformer with the conceit of making temporary platforms with your camera. I installed it at random so had no idea what it'd be like - think I paid about 39p for it on Steam. Enjoying it, but it's linear so if you're stuck, you're stuck. Still, there are level time challenges to beat in the meantime.

Hollow Knight - 99% complete. Still stuck on the Trial of Fools but I refuse to leave it until I do. Then I'll decide if I want to do the more insane boss runs

The Maw - Always fond of Twisted Pixel's 360 stuff. This early game of theirs is good, easy-ish stuff to run through. A few levels off the end, I think.

Hitman 2 / 1 - Slowly going through Hitman 1's levels trying to get SASO. I put it down for a while to play other stuff but have been listening to a podcast about 3 which has got me in the mood again. Only in Morocco, so plenty to do. I love it.

Nine Hours, Nine Person, Nine Doors - Another one I need to get back into as I'm a few hours in. I've been playing it on my phone using Steam Link most of the time as I can almost pretend I'm playing on a Vita or something. Not sure why I stopped. Probably because I was usually playing it in bed at night and kept falling asleep and forgetting what I was doing.  Maybe I'll start playing it when I wake up instead.

Honourable mentions: Dark Souls: PTD - Completed first-run through a while back, back to the second at some point... Final Fantasy VII - doing a '100%' playthrough of maxing out everything on PSP. Think I'm almost done, except, er, that was put aside more than half a decade ago after moving and kids got in the way. Better get back to it. I want to play that good fan translation at some point in the next few years.

Next up: Not starting anything big until at least AC2 is done and I get a bit further on in Hitman. After that, I fancy a meaty game. Possibly Skyrim or Fallout 3. Although I haven't played Fallout 2 yet. Then there's Yakuza, although I'd probably start with the PS2 version. Or maybe Person 4, finally. It'll probably be none of those!

I’ve been playing Ion Fury very recently despite the backlash it got from all that controversy around a homophobic joke (which really astonishes me now someone thought it’d actually a) be acceptable and b) come across anything more than ridiculously childish), but it’s a game I’ve been after checking out for a while. Putting aside the crass humour,  it’s actually got me proper sucked in with its 90’s Duke Nukem style gameplay. 

Im also a couple of stories through Odin Sphere (remake PS4 version) which I’m really enjoying and it looks fantastic but fancied a break so started the above. 

Xbox:

Forza horizon. The first one, mind. What is the point of all this content if I don’t see most of it. Nope, race, race, race, barn find, race. At this point it’s just sweeping though to see the end game and fuck up Darius Flint.

Playstation:

Fall Guys. Fallen by the wayside with the move to the ps5 (and series S) of late, but I stuck it on earlier and got to a final or two. I still suck at hexagone.

AC Valhalla. I did 15 and a half hours before starting anything like approaching the main quest line. Which is your usual Ubisoft narrative.

I’ve started a Halo playthrough in anticipation of Infinite coming later this year. I’ve only completed the first Halo previously. Did a few levels of Halo 2 when it first came out, and completed ODST but that’s all. 

Finished Halo CE last night and really enjoyed it - even the final Warthog run wasn’t as awful as I remembered it. 

Just started Halo 2. Forgot how much fun duel wielding is! 

Still going with Life is Strange 2 as well. On the final episode now but not sure where it’s going to go to be honest and having to make an effort to go back to it over blasting more covenant. 

Oh, and I’ve finally started Dark Souls 2, but only playing this when the kids are around as they love watching me play it. They get very tense when I explore new areas and keep telling me to just go back to a bonfire as soon as my health gets low. Not sure what it is about Dark Souls but it captivates them like no other game it seems.  

Yakuza: Like A Dragon - Just wonderful. A Yakuza story married to a fun JRPG battle system and brilliant characters. 

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - Solid, is how I'd describe this so far. It's yet to offer me anything really new, but then as the title suggests it's really just a new Super Mario Bros. game. Finding the gold coins is a fun little challenge.

Sonic Forces - I don't know either. This was on sale for a massive discount on Steam, and I do quite like some of the 3D Sonic games for what they are. At the price I paid this is... okay. Just. It's almost mindless really, rewarding my bumbling dashes through each stage with A and S ranks without any effort. I hear it's incredibly short, which is a good thing in this case.

Forza Horizon 4, Star Wars Squadrons and Fallen Jedi, and a bit of career mode FIFA, where I’m 16 games into the season and have scored 90 goals or something daft, including 5 on my international debut.

9 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

I’ve started a Halo playthrough in anticipation of Infinite coming later this year. I’ve only completed the first Halo previously. Did a few levels of Halo 2 when it first came out, and completed ODST but that’s all. 

Finished Halo CE last night and really enjoyed it - even the final Warthog run wasn’t as awful as I remembered it. 

Just started Halo 2. Forgot how much fun duel wielding is! 

Still going with Life is Strange 2 as well. On the final episode now but not sure where it’s going to go to be honest and having to make an effort to go back to it over blasting more covenant. 

Oh, and I’ve finally started Dark Souls 2, but only playing this when the kids are around as they love watching me play it. They get very tense when I explore new areas and keep telling me to just go back to a bonfire as soon as my health gets low. Not sure what it is about Dark Souls but it captivates them like no other game it seems.  

I tried Halo on PC recently. Having not played it back in the day I'm genuinely wondering what all the hype was / is about. Feels very on rails and somewhat too restricted. Just feels clunky compared to many other FPS. I really wanted to get on with it but after about4 or 5 hours I've given up interest.

The Euros is stopping me from playing as much as I'd like but:

Halo 5 (Xbox One)

Almost at the end of the campaign and really enjoying this.  I think I might go back to ODST and Reach after I've done with it.

Splatoon 2 (Switch)

I'm shit at this but it's great fun!

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Switch)

Kids keep pestering me to play it with them and the matches are way closer than they used to be.  Kids shouldn't be allowed to improve their gaming skills to the extent they do.

FIFA 21 (Xbox One)

Football, ay it?  Wolves are absolutely bossing the Champions League group stages.

GTA V (Xbox One)

Finished it when it first came out on the 360, having just as much fun 2nd time around.

Mass Effect Andromeda (Xbox One)

Finding this a bit of a slog as it's a bit plain compared to the original trilogy.  Will probably leave this for a bit.

Sea of Thieves (Xbox One)

One of the best ever Xbox One game - the new Pirates of the Caribbean content is superb and after a long break from this game, I'm also catching up with the massive amount of other content.  Hard to believe this was such a bare bones experience when it first came out.

Thought I'd better deal with my growing Switch Pile o' Shame, so am playing through Paradise Killer - a quirky detective game set on an island you traverse in 3D.

The cast of assorted weirdos makes the game - the nearest thing I can compare them to is the cast of Michael Moorcock's 'Dancers at the End of Time'; a similar set of hedonistic, inhuman gods and monsters living in a post-human world.

Started Yakuza 5 last night. On my way through a full series playthrough and paused for a break after finishing 4. Is there any (videogame) world with such a wonderful sense of place? It honestly feels like coming home when firing up the game.

Also working my way through Bloodstained (amazing) and dipping in to Mario Golf (not amazing) on the Switch.

54 minutes ago, new666uk said:

Unreal Tournament 99 GOTY on PC - join us! The more the merrier!

Super Mario romhacks on SNES

Driver San Francisco on x360

Desert Strike and Chaos Engine on Megadrive

EA need to look at their classic games and give them a fresh take.

Dropping in and out of Forza Horizon, still my favourite.

Mafia 3. Quite enjoying it, but the open world stuff detracts from the core game. Also on a couple of occasions I’ve stumbled upon some ‘bad guys’ and killed them all only for them all to respawn later as they were actually part of a mission that I hadn’t started yet. Irritating. Too much pointless driving too.

Giving Assetto Corsa Competizione a break because I have gout so I have no painless way to push pedals.

Playing bits of Guilty Gear Strive here and there because it is absolutely great.

Playing The Touryst on the xbox thanks to gamepass

Just finished Yakuza: LAD. Waiting for the big July 27th update to Flight Sim ready to jump back in to that hard, so need to think what I can play in the meantime.

So probably:

- Chicory

- Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Remaster

- Some Flight Sim

- Destiny 2 (with my son)

Half thinking I'd like to get Mad Max, but it'll probably just end up being half played

AC Valhalla (PS5) 21hrs 37mins 6sec on the prologue (including the title screen and arriving in the other place)

3% complete. I think that means at the current rate (33x21) I’m looking at 650hours to completion?