What Are You Playing?

Farley

Hades 

I didn't want to play this much at first, it just seemed too quick, demanding and stressful. My son got deep in to it and I finally got tempted and it's great fun. 

Also still playing Cyberpunk. Third run. Corpo Hacker/Tech Sniper.

Darkest dungeon. It's turned up on Gamepass.  I can see the screen and font now it's not the vita version I'm playing. 

Turns out it's fucking excellent and really addictive. 

I've got a few games on the go, too many to be playing at once, really.

Mass Effect 2. I'm playing this on the Xbox after finishing the first one a few weeks ago. I was finding is a bit of a slog until I turned down the difficulty a notch or two. Now I'm enjoying it again a lot more.

Returnal. I played this for about three hours on Thursday and really enjoyed it, but for some reason I haven't gone back to it since then. Probably because I'm on a good run and am too scared to break it by dying. It's been excellent so far, but I feel like I need to see ME3 through first before I can get into properly. It's difficult to play it as a second game.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. This is my current Switch game after I picked up the trilogy a while ago. I've played it through already on the DS, but that was years ago. I got through the first 2-3 cases, then decided to have a break, but I haven't gone to it yet. I want to, though.

Monument Valley 2. This is my phone game du jour. It's nice to just do a level here and there, and it looks beautiful.

Metroid Prime. I installed Dolphin on my phone a couple of weeks ago and this was the first ROM I downloaded. I'm playing it with my Razer Kishi and it translates pretty well, although not being able to move the camera with the right stick feels very odd. I haven't played it since the GameCube, and I'm only an hour into it, but it's fun seeing what I can remember. Scanning everything is still fun, and the music is still awesome.

I've also started and want to get back to Jedi: Fallen Order, The Walking Dead - Episode One and Dead Cells, all on Game Pass. I've also got Skyward Sword HD arriving in a couple of weeks, so God knows how I'm going to fit that in.

Too many fucking games, man.

4 hours ago, JoeK said:

I've surprised myself and have become rather hooked on a simple little racer called Horizon Chase Turbo. 

I’ve also just gone through a little Horizon Chase Turbo obsession (well, that might be too strong a term). Was playing it solidly for a couple of weeks on my Switch out of nowhere and really enjoying it, aiming for golds on every track before moving on in each tournament.  

It stutters a bit so planning to get it on Xbox next time it’s on sale and starting over on there. Fun game!

State of Decay 2 for me. I was so frustrated with it on release, it was a buggy mess with major performance issues one the Bone but now it’s silky smooth, far less buggy and overall a much better game.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

Destiny 2

I haven't been into Destiny this much since The Taken King era of D1. It's fucking brilliant right now.

I just started playing. It's great! So much polish. You'd hope so after its been going so long. Still it is hugely immersive and satisfying.

The companion app is cool too, I downloaded it and found in could change shader colours on my gear which was a nice touch.

The Gears of War series. 

Never played any of them before so a few weeks ago I decided to start from the beginning. I absolutely love them. They’re the perfect blend of mindless action and just the right amount of difficulty (ie pretty easy on normal) that I was looking for. All available for ‘free’ on GamePass. 

I’ve just started Hivebusters and then I’ll be done, but I’m really going to miss them I think. 

9 hours ago, mdn2 said:

The Evil Within 2. I've been working my way through my backlog this year and played and enjoyed the first game around February-ish. So the Boost on Series X has prompted me to play through the second as well. Fuck me, if it isn't a fantastic title. Not that scary, but with tonnes of atmosphere and a more open world approach, I'm finding it probably the best horror game I've played in years (and yes, I have played both Resi 7 and 8 this year). On Chapter 9 at the minute and I'm enjoying it for it's Psychonauts-mixed-with-horror vibe. I really hope Tango Gameworks get the opportunity to make a sequel at some point. 

I'm playing the first Evil Within on Gamepass. I'd completed it on PS4 back when it was new and it always felt like a really good game was hiding behind the exceptionally rough, jerky and shonky presentation.  I still hate walking into a beartrap that you didn't see coming and the tripwire traps are awful (they make a warning sound but the controls are too slow the animation as you change direction means you walk straight into the trap) and the one hit deaths, all aren't enough to spoil the huge amount of good content.  It's not enhanced for series X but does seem to run much better than PS4 did and I'm really enjoying it.  Evil Within 1 and 2 are both great games that deserved much more mainstream recognition than they got.

8 hours ago, Vemsie said:

It's still Returnal. Already completed it multiple times but the gameplay loop is so fun that I'm now gunning for the Plat, which I rarely do.

Same. I've had tons of other stuff to get through since I first finished it, but whenever I have time to just play what I want, it's always Returnal.

The Platinum is useful as a little end goal to direct me, but I'm mostly happy just playing it for its own sake, or doing daily challenges. 

9 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Gave Days Gone another try after already bouncing off twice. It was the 60FPS that lured me back in. After struggling through the mediocre intro, it finally started to click and now I'm completely immersed - and also completely in love. Turns out it's an incredible stealth-shooter explore'em up - think Ubi Far Cry but far less streamlined, far less stupid, way more creative, and far, far more tense. It's got some of the most gorgeous environments I've ever seen in any game, and the stealth/survival/loot gameplay loop is expertly crafted with loads of player freedom and also a lot of emergent funtimes. In any other game it would feel like I needed to grind for loot and levels and money, but in this game I'm just looking for any excuse to do anything in this fantastic sandbox - because everything is so much fun. There's no grind, just pure gameplay bliss.

To think I almost binned it forever.

I’ve bounced off this a few times, including after the 60fps patch. But reading posts like this leaves me thinking I should try one more time. 

34 minutes ago, Fargo said:

I’ve bounced off this a few times, including after the 60fps patch. But reading posts like this leaves me thinking I should try one more time. 

Play until you unlock the *second* camp. At that point the game lets you have emergent freedom fun. Everything before that is meh, everything after that is pure gold. If you still bounce off, then you can bin it.

Honestly, Halo 5. For all its faults once you hit Sword of Sanghelios level all

is forgiven as you’re treated to a proper next (last) gen Halo experience.

I’m also enjoying Dishonored Death of The Outsider loads too, and Need For Speed Hot Pursuit.

9 minutes ago, Hoodedclaw said:

Doom Eternal ps5 , been sat on this game waiting for the new update and glad I did as I'm loving it in 120fps

An amazing game, plays like a dream. 

The last two nights I've stayed up way later than I should have playing PUBG. It's amazing how captivating I still find this game after 4 years. No game comes close to having the same sense of satisfaction when you win a fight and the sheer adrenaline of an open zone in the top ten is something else.

When not in the mood to frag out as the kids say, I've got back in to Ghost of Tsushima (although polished as fuck and lovely to look at, I can't help but find this a tiny bit dull) and after mopping up all the trophies finally in Life is Strange, I've just done ep 1 of Before the Storm too.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps. Despite the escape sequences, I really enjoyed the first game, and this is like that, but powered by Series X, so it’s gorgeous. 

I also played and finished Sonic CD, so I’ve downloaded the 360 versions of 1 and 2 again that I bought 10 years ago or whatever (love that all my digital purchases are just there in the dash, waiting for me when I want them). 

Really cursing my own idiocy for not buying 3 and S&K back in the day, since they’re not available to buy anymore, no idea what I was playing at. 

Late to the party but The Last of Us 2. Incredible. Both games have a knack of getting me right in the feels. 

Must be near the end and really not liking (in a good way) where I can see a character arc going 😪

• gospvg pinned this topic

Finished off Sniper Elite 4. Perfect old man gaming. 

Star Ocean PS4 which is surprisingly good so far. Might be the best non-Persona JRPG in some time. 

Also, Sniper Elite 3 on switch. 3 is weaker than 2 and 4 but still really really good. It’s also a fantastic port, one of the best looking games on Switch. 

Gone back to original Doom after finding Eternal just too damn hard. 

After finishing Days Gone, and then Inside, I have started both Miles Morales and Ghost of Tsushima, but neither have clicked after the first hour or two. 

I think I might need a full on open world pallet cleanser before I jump into another. 

can’t decide between Returnal or Resi 2 Remake (I’ve never played either game or the original Resi 2)

I always have a few games on the go at any one time so I don't get stuck on the same genre and get bored. The current line-up is:

Legrand Legacy: A JRPG that is a bit like the Shadow Hearts series, in that you have to stop a wheel to get the right spot to determine if your attacks/blocks/magic are perfect/good/bad. It's decent, though uses fixed-perspective backgrounds which can make traversal a bit of a pain as you get stuck on scenery.

Outriders: I'm actually quite enjoying this, except for the fact that Game Pass streaming has poor graphic compression and a bit of lag (and I'm on a 200Mbs line with a jitter rating of about 3/4 (which I presume is good) - so I'm having to keep it on the lowest world tier (also partly because I suck :P). That's fine for me though, because I don't intend to stay around for the MP content at the end.

Dragon Quest Heroes: I used to quite like a of mindless musuo gaming but I do find them quite boring - and the fact I've had this for 4.5 years but am probably not even half way through is testament to that. It is fine to dip in for a mission or two here and there though and the little bit of added strategy with this versus Dynasty Warriors is something different.

Conglomarate 451: A cyberpunk-themed turn-based dungeon crawler, again this another in the 'dip in, do a mission or two and leave for a while' pile.

Pillars of Eternity: This is in danger of being dropped as I'm finding it a bit of a slog. I've never been a massive fan of the D&D approach to magic/skills - I think it's so archaic and robs me of feeling I can make proper use of my mages because camping supplies are quite restricted (needed to refresh spells). I've therefore dropped it down to 'Story' level, which allows for 99 camping supplies, but also makes it too easy so you don't really need to use the 'big' spells now. I'm only about 20 hours in and whilst I want to play the second game (mainly as they added the turn-based mode), I don't like doing that if I haven't played the first game in the series, so this is very much one I feel I need to battle through.

The Division: Like a couple above, I like to dip in for little spells rather than committing a chunk of time to it, and the structure works nicely. Very satisfying gunplay, too.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance: They just don't make games like this now. I originally completed this back on the 360, so it becomes only about the third game I've ever replayed (and I have the sequel too). I'm using characters I never use to play as so that - plus the fact I last played it 15-odd years ago - means it still feels quite fresh. Shame I have no interest in the Switch, as I probably wouldn't mind playing the third game.

I also like to fit in a shorter title during all these longer games so that I still feel like I'm accomplishing something - probably will be Wild Ocean Big Jacket next.

PS5

Ratchet & Clank Rift in Time 

Xbox

Doom Eternal

Mass Effect3 

Assassins Creed Valhalla 

Switch 

Breath of the Wild 

to much on the go at the moment but I’ve almost finish Ratchet and BOTW

• gospvg unpinned this topic