What Are You Playing?

Farley

• 9 months later...

Just finished Gone Home. 

Most overrated game ever? 

Don't get me wrong. It was enjoyable enough. Really tense. Constantly felt like it was building to something. Intriguing. Some well written, interesting back story then it just ended. No resolution. Nothing.

Spoiler

Your sister is a lesbian. And your uncle may have been a didler and may have didled your da.

That's it. About an hour of gameplay. Twenty quid normally. No replay value at all. 

Do the people that reviewed it so well not know about books and films? 

The "back story" is the story. 

Games do these little text log narratives all the time but they usually don't bother to do an ordinary human stories, and they're usually much more focussed on conveying world lore than character development and drama.

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

The "back story" is the story. 

Games do these little text log narratives all the time but they usually don't bother to do an ordinary human stories, and they're usually much more focussed on conveying world lore than character development and drama.

My point is that the story was not enough. Would have been great as a little aside, but for twenty quid there needed to be more. Shit for the price of a PS plus sub there needed to be more. I couldn't believe it when it ended. Said out loud, what the fuck, where is the rest of it. 

If I played it all and someone stopped it just before the credits rolled and asked me what I thought of it. I would have been convinced it was like a prologue or chapter one of ten or some shit. 

What would it be a prologue to, though? They pretty thoroughly told the story they had.

I could imagine being blindsided by this if it was 2013 but I assumed everyone had a good handle of the fact that it was interactive fiction at this point.

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:

What would it be a prologue to, though? They pretty thoroughly told the story they had.

I could imagine being blindsided by this if it was 2013 but I assumed everyone had a good handle of the fact that it was interactive fiction at this point.

An actual game?

• 1 month later...

Tales of Symphonia

Never really got into JRPGs much, though I own FF 6-9, until I played No No Kuni and loved it. Symphonia is giving me a good feeling too. Only just started, but the story doesn't seem as hackney, Lloyd isn't full of angst, and there are some nice hints that there is a lot going on with the characters to be discovered. The combat is pretty damn good too, as is the intro to new mechanics. I can see this being an obsession for a while. Not being able to afford a PS4 has been a blessing really, I've finished more games this year than ever before, without new releases to distract me, I am working my way through the pile of shame pretty successfully, and having a blast with some of the gems I have stuck with.

45 minutes ago, deKay said:

I was once like you. Now I'm a big fan of the narrative discovery genre.

You can find out what happened by finding the other 29 scraps of information deKay has placed around the forum.

• 7 months later...

360: Ended up digging out Rock Band 3 after the nephew wanted to know what those plastic guitars in my storage box thing are all about. Even though my old five-button GHII controller is a better starting point, he was immediately drawn to the RB3 Mustang, but quickly conceded that it was a bit much, even when trying non-pro tracks.

PS4: Disc Jam! At least while I wait for Nier. Also occasionally being roped into Destiny nightfall attempts by my brother.

• 1 month later...

Five years late but I finally got around to starting Max Payne 3 (as I was sick of it using up thirty-odd gigs of my harddrive)!
Some thoughts:

Why am I creating a mandatory Rockstar online account to play a game offline? :huh:

This game looks expensive. Well done. :)

Is the cutscene style supposed to make you feel constantly drunk? 'Cos job done. :wacko:

Nice arcadey style gameplay of short fun bursts... but christ, it's violent! :blink:

Every game is made better by having a narrator talking over it - confirmed. :quote:

Finding the tallest flight of stairs to jump down in slow-motion should be the whole point of the game. ^_^

Kinda thinking I should be using a mouse not a controller. :unsure:

• 8 months later...

Didn't this used to be pinned?

Anyway, I finally got round to buying Steamworld Heist in the latest PSN sale. 

I completed Dig on my vita when it was given away through PS+ and always wanted to try the turn based spin off. 

£4(ish) sale price for the Vita and PS4 version (annoyingly it's only cross buy not cross save). 

Playing on my Vita and really enjoying it, just the right level of taxing on the default difficulty and replaying missions to get all the stars hasn't been too grindy as 1) I've not missed many 3 star runs on first attempt and 2) the levels are randomly generated so are slightly different each time. 

Highly recommended if you're after some simple January strategy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to play MGS Rising. What a clusterfuck of a game. The camera is a mare. I've got gekko stomping me which I can't block (only parry) while a guy shoots me from across the map with a rocket launcher; None of this I can clearly see because the attacks aren't chained - it's just random firing and swinging. 

Feels like I'm playing a game from the mid playstation 1 era. 

I went a bit mad in the PS4 sale, so I'm now juggling a number of games that don't have a hope in hell. Two are clearly going to make it. The first is The Division, which I hemmed and hawed over for ages before the promise of the Underground mode swung my vote. I don't think I can actually access that yet, but I'm really enjoying the SP experience so far - solid mechanics and really well done looting and building. I tried a co-op mission last night, and when it ramped up the enemies to match our numbers it was brilliantly demented, and a real (but achievable) challenge. You really need a motorbike to get around the world on, but otherwise I suspect this is going to keep me entertained for as long as Destiny did.

I reckon this is a good time to get into it, particularly if you take advantage of the sale on the gold edition for the full DLC - the v1.8 patch has given the community a shot in the arm, as far as I can tell, and while I can't comment on how the gameplay has improved across the patches, I can definitely confirm that it's ended up in a good place - the combat is satisfying and, as I progress, I can sense that Halo magic of simple but distinct enemy types forging an experience that'd greater than the sum of its parts.

The other is Disgaea 5 which, again, wasn't among the super bargains. But I've only ever played the first game and have meant to catch up for ages, so into the basked it went. And what a game! Phenomenally generous in terms of content, and with a deep complexity that's surprisingly easy to navigate - you can safely ignore various mechanics if you want to, but they all add to the experience. If you like tactics games, it's surely a no-brainer - the item world itself is practically infinite, as is the scope for builds and micromanagement (if that's your thing).

It can get pretty overwhelming if you're trying to max out the bonus meter for each stage, trying to keep track of who hasn't moved yet and who needs to attack in which order (and which enemies are already being attacked) but, again, you can forget all that if you just want a classic turn-based scrap.

Among the other moments of madness, I also bought Steep. It's been clobbered a bit by the above, but I'll be returning to it. The key question I had was whether it could replicate that SSX3 experience of starting at the top of a mountain and just riding on down to the bottom. And yes, it can. The other stuff is just icing on the cake - the wingsuit is great, for example, but the bottom line is that it's a game where you can load up a Spotify playlist and snowboard down an entire mountain with great snow and ice and lighting effects, doing tricks if you feel like it. I think it's a shame they had to make it an online-first experience rather than a standalone "forever" game, but I can live with that. What's surprised me the most is how quickly you can move around - there's hardly any waiting around if you fast travel. I guess that's probably down to the lack of gritty, meticulously rendered urban environments - but whatever the reason, it's refreshing.

I'm happy to recommend all three of the above to anyone on the fence. If you think you might like one of them, I reckon it's a safe bet you will.

• 5 months later...

I've got back to COD BLOPS 3, cos I don't need the disc anymore, makes it easier to dip in and out of.

It's been a while

Into the Abyss

Ultra Rare 4.1%

Complete Hypocenter on Hardened, Veteran, or Realistic.

11/5/2016 0:15

Friends and Foes

Ultra Rare 3.6%

Complete Rise and Fall on Hardened, Veteran, or Realistic.

16/6/2018 18:00

I had previously given up because the fucking robots, in a burning building, and the story is pure shite and...

hey, is that Chris Meloni? (it is)

Spoiler

DgAhr9pWkAIXemC.jpg:large

seriously though. You can't just run through levels LT+RT anymore, relying on the autoaim to pick the fuckers off.

Oh, and then the was the oil rig in the desert level with that VTOL aircraft...

I'm not very good at using the special powers either. They seem almost tacked on.

• 4 months later...

PC: Just finished FEAR 2: Project Origin again, having finished it before on 360... but recently grabbing it in the Steam Sale. The story is still a bit daft and the environments aren't always exciting, but the shooting is still awesome and a lot of the enemies are fun to fight against :wub:

PS4: ...as I was finishing FEAR I also started Yakuza Kiwami - I had the original on PS2 and remember it getting pretty challenging very early, so I never made that much progress... although going back to it now I feel like I may have skipped a lot of the upgrading and sidequesting!

Hopefully in a while Tetris Effect will join the list as something to jump in and out of when I don't have time for Yakuza. :) 

• 2 years later...

If we've got a thread vaguely like this, please feel free to delete as appropriate!

Just thought it would be fun to see what's currently being played by everyone at the moment. As in, this week/today.

I've surprised myself and have become rather hooked on a simple little racer called Horizon Chase Turbo. 

It is supremely simple, but I'm finding it maddeningly addictive, and the speed of the thing, coupled with the soundtrack makes for a rather hypnotic experience!

There are better racers around without doubt, but it's done the grand thing of reminding me that I really fucking like these sort of games and have a shockingly small amount of them in my collection.

Glad this was an Epic freebie, for sure!

Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown....clocked over 100 hours and 1400 fights since last month. I don't often get really into fighting games , but when I do, I find it difficult to play anything else. Also Alex Kidd DX , the trophy list is quite well thought out and challenging, keeping me going back for extra playthroughs. I am loving this recent Sega resurgence, whether first party or not, they are delivering the goods.

In the absence of any new things coming out (until Neo TWEWY), I've been playing a lot of Final Fantasy III (VI). Again. I played through it for the first time in 2020 and it was ace, but I wanted to go back and try a couple of things. First, I wanted to try and record some gameplay and maybe host some clips on Twitch or something (I have a YouTube channel but I don't really use it for gameplay footage anymore) - but I also wanted to see what else could be done in the endgame. I kind of got lucky in my first playthrough because I found an "economizer" relic which reduced the cost of one character's magic to 1MP, so the rest of the game was nothing but cheap Ultima spam. :D I don't mind that happening again... but I later found out that the relic has a pretty low drop chance in the area I found it, so I might look at ways to safely/reliably find rare relics. Or I might work on an alternate approach that doesn't depend on such a valuable accessory.