rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Farley

What Are You Playing?

Finally got around to properly playing and completing Alan Wake. Really enjoyed it - never managed to get beyond the first couple of chapters before, but it was a decent game. The landscape is still very very pretty. Also think the physics effects still hit the spot!

sniper v3 (ps4) started on sniper elite, got fed up of dying, so dropped to cadet, now it plays like gears of world war 2.

Yay!

I've slowed down a bit on gaming in the last few months, and right now I'm midway through a re-run of Dead Island, a game I love to hate. Visually it's great, and there is a lot of freedom to move around, but after a certain point it just starts to feel repetitive and a bit tedious. It's quite a long game as well, as it took me about just under 82 hours to do the main game last time with that black guy, but this time I'm now back through it again with the asian girl (to switch things up a bit) and hiave passed about 41 hours while getting about half way through the completion percentage. I can't help but search for loot and take my time in games.

I can see the annoyance of both myself levelling up being linked directly to the level of all the enemies in the game. It feel now that the standard walkers are even harder than ever since I've got to about Lv36. You can literally lose 80% of health with one hit. I'm sure it wasn't quite this bad before I returned back to the streets. I must have been doing more fighting in this play through, because on the stats, I've manage to die more times than I did after finishing the entire game through the first time round and I'm half way in. They also have this habit of spawning enemies right behind you when you go to engage in a fight with a stray walker. That pisses me off so much, as it's very hard to judge and is always unpredictable.

The missions you carry out throughout the game are one of the reasons why I think this game gets stagnant, as they are just so mundane and samey, without much substance to them. Fetch quests at their finest. I've also been trying to get hold of the secret skulls, of which there are 5 in total and find their secret placing spot for each one. Last time I played, I found a few skulls but didn't know what they were for until I'd finished the game. This time I've managed to find 4 and all their placing spots, leaving just one skull left and it's spot to take it to. The problem though, is that one of them I found I can no longer take it to its spot unless I play the game again in Game + mode. There's a house you find a blue skull in, follwed by a coloured arrow on the wall (denotes placement spot) pointing down toward an oven in a kitech that's switched on. Once you find this house and leave, you can't return at all. It pisses me off when they do this sort of shit in games for no reason what so ever. Clearly the only reason I can think of is to force you to go back through the game again so that you might continue to play. So ultimately, I can't really do these. Each skull taken to the right location reveals a unique special weapon mod, and I've read that if you get all 5 and combine them together, you can get some sort of ultimate weapon.

Including DLC play time and both main games, the stats of play time stand around 131 hours. I can't believe I've put that sort of time into DI.

Xcom EU is consuming my life again.

Reaching the 'sorta burnt out on this shit' stage so may jump over to Murdered Soul Suspect for some good old fashioned b-tier bullshit gaming.

I'm playing street fighter 4 AE. All the evo stuff last week really made me want to play it again.

Looking forward to getting the retail version of ultra next week even though I hear that Hugo is a mammoth pile of balls. This deeply saddens me as Hugo was one of my favourites in SF3

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It's as good as everyone has always said it is. I took the "wits" path first, and I found it really well-thought out and satisfying, without obtuse puzzles that required a trip to GameFAQs... until I reached the lost city itself, and then had to refer to a guide about five times. I also didn't realise you could "die" (that doesn't usually happen in LucasArts games, does it?), which meant I lost a bit of progress as I hadn't saved for a while and I had no idea how the fights were supposed to work. It soured that section of the game a little bit.

I'm going through a second time and I want to try the other paths. It's amazingly advanced for a game from 1992, and only reinforces how much dumber modern adventure games are.

• Upvote 7

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

I'm going through a second time and I want to try the other paths.

This continues to impress. Not only are the paths almost completely different (new situations within the same locations), but the text inside Plato's Lost Dialogue is different every time too! So you couldn't cheat by asking somebody else the solution to the disc puzzles because every playthrough would have a different answer! Not that they're particularly difficult to work out, but it's a nice touch. Reminds me of that Bladerunner game where random characters are assigned as replicants on each playthrough.

I'm also nearing the end of Resident Evil Revelations (3DS version). At least, it feels like it's near the end (monstrous boss, disaster, plot points spelled out). This will hopefully make it the second Resident Evil game I've ever managed to complete.

I'm still not a fan of the series per se, but it's been sort of okay I guess.

Been replaying Eternal Darkness (on Dolphin) and reminded what an amazing game this is/was. A totally unique experience without peer. Fantastic atmosphere, writing, voice acting and sound design. It really is unlike anything else. Surprised how well the graphics hold up too (at least with Dolphin and 3x native). This easily belongs in my all-time top-10 (on all formats).

• Upvote 2

Nothing much at the moment, finding it difficult to get back into Zelda Wind Waker, tired of seeing yet another dungeon with multiple levels. I'm nearing the end so will have to force myself to finish it.

Ridge Racer 7 in 3D and trying (and failing) to juggle Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World and NSMBU on my new Wii U all at the same time.

Astounded by how good NSMBU is, genuinely a worthy successor to Super Mario World imo.

Just finished playing Brothers - A tale of two sons on PS3 courtesy of PlayStation+

Beautiful looking and fantastic last couple of chapters - really enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

Metroid Prime: Corruption. The beginning bit where it's trying to be Halo with radio chatter, a general and other soldiers everywhere is well shit. Gone off to the first proper alien planet though and it all feels lovely again. Looks great as well.

And Dragon Quest IX. Not a great start. Backgrounds seem a fair bit more bland than IV & V, I miss the vertical two screen setup in towns, don't like the mix of polygonal and sprite characters, the enemy animations aren't as good as the 2D ones from IV & V and the scenario so far isn't grabbing me anywhere near as much as those two. Is it true the story is just a whole load of disconnected quests?

I completed Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis for the third and final time. The fists path is the weakest due to the shoddy combat system. I can't help but think a turn-based approach would have been better for the fights, and maybe find a way to get rid of the death system as it feels out of place in a Lucasarts adventure. Other than that, it's a brilliant game, up there with my favourite point-and-clicks. It's perfectly suited to an HD remake, were such a thing to happen. Fix some of the awful voices and lose the pixelly graphics, and it'd stand toe-to-toe with the best indie games today. Pun not intended.

I've just started on Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask. This is the first one for the 3DS and it's survived the transition well, visually at least. The environments look great with depth and the 3D anime sequences are cleverly layered. This is the first time I've bought the UK version of a Layton game, and I'd forgotten that we get a different voice actor for Luke. Somehow he's even worse! How is that even possible? It's a miracle.

Ocarina of Time is on the cards again, having never gotten past going to Hyrule castle ( yes, the 1st time!!) I am determined to finish it, and even though I have it for 3DS and N64, I am running it through Mupen 64 AE on my shiny JXD 7800b as that's my machine of choice atm.

PS4: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, and re-started The Last of Us after trading in my PS3 version because the save file kept freezing. Not quite back to where I originally reached, but boy is the journey worth repeating.

iPad: Broken Sword 5 chapter one. I pointed, clicked and George went over there.

Clash of bloody clans on the ipad. Got it for free a while back and haven't shelled out for any of the iaps but I seem to be horribly addicted to it. What is wrong with me?!?! :(

Picked up Spider-Man 2 on Gamecube today at a carboot. Shite combat, shite story missions, shite voice acting, but fuck me the web swinging is incredible. Nothing like jumping off the empire state building and then swinging around at full speed and doing loop-de-loops and shit.

The game has made me rethink how I was going about my gaming habits. I recently got rid of a load of games that I only kept around for pointless pissing about because I decided I needed to be more focused but you know what? I fucking love pissing around, it's like I forgot it's sometimes okay to have fun for fun's sake.

• Upvote 3

Killer 7.

I accidentally on purpose won this in an ebay auction (I bid thinking I'd lose) and you know what it is totally worth the £19. I don't get why I never persisted with it the first time the way I am now, it's awesome and I wish there were more games like it. There are some bits that can fuck off like the crap bosses but everything else works great. You can tell Mikami worked on this because there is something very "Resident Evil" about the puzzles. It's going to come off as a weird compliment considering what Killer 7 is like but I like the character movement, I know it's on rails but the way each room is designed along with the movement and interaction controls give the game this flow that I really like, it feels slick.

I spun up WatchDods the other day, and gravitated towards the docks, and now I can't seem to leave.

I try, but I must be taking a wrong turn somewhere, even using the map.

Then I got into some online races, but there's clearly some disparity between the cars, off the line. How do you quit online races?

Brandon docks...

I almost made that!

Edited by SeanR

Finished Saint's Row: The Third (the free xbox download) and maxed as many achievements as I could (didn't bother grinding for ages for the challenges and will possibly co-op all missions in future) I thought it was brilliant and better than part 2, look forward to part 4 sometime in future.

Have now got properly into Divinity 2: Ego Draconis and, although very rough around the edges, I'm finding it nicely compelling... Very close to getting my tower/personal creature/dragon transform ability soon I think :)

Winning Eleven 6: Final Evolution

Finally got my hands on a copy of this after it being on my list for a long time. I'm sure I'll get a hell of a lot more enjoyment out of it when I actually look up a guide to help me navigate the menus.

Had a little break from games apart from the odd FIFA session but now I'm juggling too many.

Right now I have on the go are:

Baldur's Gate (giving this game my most attention. Not sure how far I am but I am on chapter 3. Also playing it on very easy because I'm incredibly shite)

Fallout 3 (played 20+ hours a few years ago but never went back so I've started again)

Lost Horizon (about a third of the way through)

Valiant Hearts: The Great War (Over half way I think)