What Are You Playing?

Farley

Got a bit hooked on Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed over the weekend. Unlocked the S-class and the last(?) career path. Won a few races on A class to get more stars. Unlocked Eggman, Joe Musashi and someone I assume is from Space Channel 5. Still loads to go; I don't think I'll clear many levels in S-class, but it's fun to try.

Anyone know why the volume is so low in the PC version?

Also started playing Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, which is quite lovely and even more Metroidy than I was expecting. Aside from the flying, I guess.

On my second play of Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, which has me intrigued and compelled to unravel its story.

Attempted to play Spider-man 2 via emulation, but can't find a solution that is currently playable. Neither PS2 nor GC versions work without problems. Oh well, somebody will make a worthy successor one day, right?

Still pushing on with Eternal Sonata, however there is a part of me that's getting a little bored with it. Must be about 38 hours into it now, and for those who know the game (guessing few here have played it), I've just made my way through the volcanic caves and returned back to the agogo forest area, having reunited the sprite/forest guardian (forgot her name) with March her sister.

Yea I distinctly remember a bit of a low/dull point in Eternal Sonata when the charm kind of wore off for a while.

I definitely completed it though so it must pick up again after a while.

Go play Gears of War or similar for a few days and you'll probably reappreciate how refreshing ES is :)

Returned to Disney Infinity as we picked up the Cars Set for £15. Good to have a new area to play in (although the original game still needs Monsters Uni finishing off) and my son loves it. Still plugging away at Sonic Transformed, which is better than I first thought but the online lobbys are barren. Its still a stop-gap until MK 8 is released though.

Started playing Sleeping Dogs and I'm kind of hooked on it already. Unfortunately I am also playing Thief 4, Resistance 3 and Forza 5. From the above the only one I'm not really feeling is Thief and it may get bumped as I have a stack of other games to play as well.

Yea I distinctly remember a bit of a low/dull point in Eternal Sonata when the charm kind of wore off for a while.

I definitely completed it though so it must pick up again after a while.

Go play Gears of War or similar for a few days and you'll probably reappreciate how refreshing ES is :)

Which version platform did you play?

I'm now 47 hours in and just fought a long battle with that woman in aria temple in the final room.

Started and finished Brothers yesterday. Wonderful and inventive game, which punches way above it's weight in the narrative stakes. For for the 4 - 5 hours it actually takes to finish it, I strongly recommend setting an afternoon aside and seeing what it's got to offer.

Finished the boss fight with the price of Forte yesterday when he comes to take away Polka from you during the peace agreement speech in ES. He wiped me out at first, despite being 10 levels beyond the average level it sets two new characters that are added to your team around this point. Some of the bosses in this game (PS3 version at least) aren't easy by any means. Think I'm about 57 hours in.

Don't starve. Day 43. Feels good to have finally seen winter through, was tight at the end.

Need to finish Infamous evil play through and maybe once on expert, I dont think I have ever plat/50 achievements a title before. Also need to finish the last hour or so of Tomb Raider.

Which version platform did you play?

I'm now 47 hours in and just fought a long battle with that woman in aria temple in the final room.

Eternal Sonata was played on Xbox 360...

You know who needs to die in a fire? Mulphy.

I was curious to who Mulphy is but Google yeilded no results, who is he/she/it and from what game please?

Currently playing my 'free' copy of PES 2014 from PS+

I haven't played a PES game since a mate and I used to cane it on PS2 whilst getting pissed. This was about 11 years ago.

[EDIT: just checked the covers and it was Pro Evolution Soccer 3, from 2003!]

Doesn't look like I missed much...the only properly 'new' thing I notice is holding X to jockey for position which, to be fair, is a massive improvement over either standing in front of an opponent in the vain hope you'll block his pass, or pressing X or O to tackle and immediately getting a yellow card.

It plays a decent game of footy, but if this is the only proper development in 11 years I'm glad I've steered clear of paying for it.

Uncharted 2 : Amongst Thieves

I wasn't feeling the across the board acclaim for this initially, but my last couple of sessions with it have been more positive. Namely the section involving the helicopter rooftop fight and train section. Graphics wise and animations are superb but the shooting aspect feels a bit wooly but not so that it makes playing a chore.

I have TLOU ready to go but wanted this done an dusted first.

Bioshock Infinite - PS3

Probably the first game I've seen through to the end this year. Not really sure what went on at the end but I can admire the work that went in to getting there in terms of art direction, soundtrack and animation. Lacking slightly in feel as far as the combat went but again that's probably as much down to the pad as with UC2.

Hotline Miami - PS3

A great concept and superbly executed with a great nasty Manhunt feel to the planning of strategy and execution but again let down by the wooliness of the DS3 pad.

I only managed a couple of levels before having had enough due to the fast pace, will probably try again as I'd like to see how it progresses.

Eternal Sonata was played on Xbox 360...

I was curious to who Mulphy is but Google yeilded no results, who is he/she/it and from what game please?

It turns out it's Murphy. The little frog guy in Rayman Origins. How I loathe him.

Pumped 100 hours into Bravely Default (so far). Help me. Dear God, help me.

Yeah, I spent a lot of time grinding too early, only to hit more difficulty spikes when starting part 4(?). I'm kinda dipping into it here and there, so not progressing too quickly. I should spend some time advancing the plot. If you can call it advancing, that is.

Too easy to get hooked on grinding up those job levels, playing with odd combinations.

Finished Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet with 100% map, although somehow only 98% items. I'm only missing a couple of videos and artworks, so I'm not too fussed about those. Got all the ship upgrades.

I really enjoyed it. It's very Metroid-y, particularly with how you stumble across bosses and absorb their upgrades after you beat them. It's also got the same sort of "travelling into the belly of the beast" kind of feel to it. No intrusive cutscenes, just story told through level design. Good use of the controls and physics for grabbing things too. Nice art style and ambient music. Recommended to fans of Metroid, certainly.

On the go, I'm finishing up my eighth playthrough of Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors before appropriately tackling the final ninth(!). No spoilers, but I've wasted three playthroughs due to not knowing how to affect the six outcomes, and I had to resort to GameFAQs, which is never a good sign. It's "clever" but annoying, and I'm not convinced this structure is the best way to unravel an interactive narrative. Not without more clues and insight into what has what effect on the story.

I know Virtue's Last Reward gets a lot of praise, but is it any different or just more of the same thing?