What Are You Playing?

Farley

I can totally understand why Sprite Machine. I mean, it's clunky in just about every way, and ridiculous. It also has that lost in translation feel to it for the most part.

But it's also well paced and whilst frantic for much of it, there's some nice down time to break chapters up now and again.

It doesn't do any one thing brilliantly but it's more than the sum of its parts and the idea of all these disasters following one another is just great to watch, and go along with.

Finished Infinity Blade, after a surprisingly short period (maybe 3 hours over 2 days) of rather enjoyable grinding. I know a lot of people didn't get on with the repetition in the game, but I really got into the development to blocking, to dodging, to parrying, to using whatever combination I can pull off in the ever-narrower attack windows available.

I'm now pissing about in negative bloodlines to unlock the ultimate armour in my New Game +, and then I'll think about whether I want to try to gather enough gold to actually buy it.

IB2 can wait until I do GTA: Chinatown Wars, and probably a point and click adventure or two. I'm still working away at Edge Extended.

Finished Halo 3 on Legendary. Pretty easy compared to the last couple of games. :coffee: Never got into the extended fiction, so some of that story stuff didn't actually come together. Oh well.

I didn't want to spend hours looking for skulls so used a guide (I'd have never figured out that one on the first Flood level in a million years, anyway) and am now going for the score achievements. Truly, Halo 3 on Heroic with the confetti headshots and bigger explosions skulls turned on is awesome fun.

Well I'm on the last boss (as far as I know) in Disaster and it's a bit of a frustrating affair really. The motion choose to work sometimes and not others.

Been playing a bit of Cave Story. I've had it for ages but never really got started. It's quite good!

Also going through Ghost Recon Shadow Wars again - the main campaign. So much content in that game.

I'm gonna dive properly into Monster Hunter 3 tomorrow, or perhaps Xenoblade Chronicles. Which do reckon I should play first?

Been alternating between a few Vita games.

Everybody's Golf - had shelved this at launch but finally spending a bit of time on some of the daily tournaments. Pretty damn good (the game rather than my scores).

Lumines - as good as ever but I'm not sold on the randomiser block....or the fact that I'll sit down to play for 10-15 mins and still be playing the same game 90 mins later.....

Sumioni - nice Japanese ink art style (bit drab though) but I'm finding it a bit of a chore to play if I'm honest.

Ridge Racer - it's good to play RR on a handheld again. The core gameplay is as good as ever but it just feel like it could've been so much more.

Motorstom RC - has that 'one more go' hook and is perfect for dipping into. Whilst it's an exercise in futility it's still great fun trying to 'trouser' some of the times set by the gaming ninjas on my friends list!

In the last month I've hardly touched my pc despite a ton of stuff sitting there waiting to be played...and no doubt the backlog will only become worse when the Steam Easter sale gets underway :facepalm:

I'm gonna dive properly into Monster Hunter 3 tomorrow, or perhaps Xenoblade Chronicles. Which do reckon I should play first?

Both games are massive timesinks... I lost atleast a month to Monster Hunter 3 where I played nothing else.. Xenoblade I moved away from before the addiction fully took hold (its a bloody fantastic game though). Whichever you choose just be prepared to invest 100+ hours into it.

Might be an idea to have something a little more lightweight to play alongside it too.

As for me, I'm still thoroughly absorbed in Dark Soulds at the moment (with a bit of Vita action on the side).. Making good steady progress, and Im actually beginning to feel that I'll manage to complete the thing. The seemless gameworld really is second to none. :wub:

Yeah, Kirby's Epic Yarn is a lovely wee game and probably the only reason I still have my Wii. Visually it's beautiful and it looks even better on pc using Dolphin (but I prefer playing it plonked on the sofa in front of the telly).

Age of Decadence public beta/demo, it's shoddy and not very good in so many ways at the moment but it's also amazing in others and has loads of potential - it's like original Fallout crossed with Alpha Protocol.

Inspired by old Idle Thumbs I'm playing Full Throttle for the first time. I missed all of these as I never bought a PC until 2001 or something so my brain's not really wired for the logic, I've had a couple of trips to gamefaqs early on when I got stuck and the solutions were things I would never have thought of.

I would also be playing The Last Express if I could figure out how to get it working on OSX but it's too much for me to understand.

I've been playing a lot of stategy games lately.

Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai: Rise of the Subtitles.

Really good stuff. Adding early modern units to the very traditional, essentially medieval scene of 19th century Japan makes for a very interesting strategy game. Protecting your riflemen with spearmen, covering a katana charge with riflemen, charging at gatling guns on horseback (don't do this!), dropping naval artillery shells on archers. Ultimately it's another Total War game, but it is a really good one so far.

When not playing that I've been trying out R.U.S.E, which is quite original, and a much better game than I had anticipated. I love the conceit of seeing the battle from a strategic, abstracted tabletop view of an entire battlefield, with multiple operations and large battles going on - then being able to zoom in to see unit by unit combat on your little corner of the overall battle. It makes very good use of the idea of ambushes, surprise tactics and recon - there's no fog of war. Instead you can see the position of all of the enemy's units (unless they are hidden in forests or towns) no matter how far away they are, but you have minimal detail on what exactly they are until you scout them either with the spy magic power (which comes at the cost of other powers, such as concealment from the enemy's map view) or send recon units to take a look. Until you do that, all you see is a generic token.

You have to keep units close together - for example, on one mission you use tank destroyers to deal with tanks, but these are much more effective if you have recon units out in front to spot targets, which extends the range of the destroyer. You also need infantry units to protect the destroyer, and tanks to protect the infantry - the tanks are crappy, too, so you have to be very careful with them.

It's very accessible and 'gamey' (for want of a better term), in a really effective and fun way. In certain respects it could be described as a real-time equivalent of Advance Wars. Huge battlefields too.

Ultimate Spider-man (xbox)

being one of the BC list titles, and having a list of shame as long as your arm, I figured a 3rd person jaunt around a stylised NYC, as YFNS, would do the trick. Especially as I enjoyed that recent Spider-man title, you know, the one with... dimensions?

ANYHOO!

Argh, the controls, they do NOTHING!

Also, you have to complete a number of sub/side missions SUCCESSFULLY before you can do game missions.

WTF!?!

Enjoying Alan Wake on the PC (finally) although it's giving my PC a fair ol' spank on max settings. The GPU fan's making an alarming nose like a mini siren going going off. Time for an upgrade methinks.

I'm typing this with one hand, not through excessive and unwarranted masturbation, but because the other game on the go is Kid Icarus: Uprising, which is a cunning endurance test designed to see how long you can cope with your favoured hand being deformed to the point of agony. Great game, though.

Currently on the case of Diablo II, with the Lord of Destruction expansion. Although I've owned the game since launch back in 2001, bought an additional Battle Chest when they was going cheap and downloaded it several times on Battle.net, I never brought myself to get anywhere beyond the start of Act II. Odd, but I suppose the combination of being a complete kleptomaniac when playing games and only restarting it when there's dry spells on the release calender through the years has caused it.

Anyway, things are going well so far, as I've just defeated Tyreal (Act IV, fact fans) - I've gone the beginner's route of using a Zeal-based Paladin, and clobbering huge swarms of monsters while running around with the Holy Freeze aura is wonderful. I keep getting murdered by bosses mind, especially when it came to Duriel who was a complete bastard to kill (five respawns! five!). Still, I've almost hit level 24, which means Holy Shield all up in this bitch - But first, I want to farm Runes so I can create an Ancient's Pledge shield. Looking forward to hitting The Countess in the face over, and over, and over, and over...

Im playing through Mafia 2 for the first time and im pretty amazed by it so far. Its like a tighter, more story centric Gta, retold in the time of Mad Mens America. They've really captured something beautiful here. Just walking about is a joy in of itself.

I also like how unflinching it is towards the era its portraying aswell. Everybody's a racist, everybody swears, and it feels like a genuinely unsanitised portrayal of its history in a way I admire it for. Music on the radio is interrupted periodically to report on how the war is developing in real time, posters and billboards advertise war bonds and even though theres alot of scripted events, it feels seamless and sets the period excellently. Also this may have simply been the way I was playing but I actually never saw any Asian Americans walking around during this time - the implication I got was that they're all in internment camps or keeping their heads down. Its a nice touch and for someone like me whose last thing they saw of this period in history was the recent Captain America movie where you see unsegregated black and white troops and Asians with emo hair cuts all fighting alongside each other like they're all best pals, its just refreshing to get into something of this calibre.

Its got some properly good voice acting and writing to its cutscenes aswell. Was equally shocked and impressed by one of the gangsters you meet addressing a prostitute as "you fucking cumdumpster" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Did not expect that from a video game!

Great combat too!

I was alternating between Arkham City, Driver San Francisco, Alpha Protocol and Radiant Historia. Now that I've completed the first three (but still have New Game +, Multiplayer and alternate playthroughs to do) I'm going to hire Asura's Wrath, then double bill Binary Domain and Yakuza Dead Souls. There's also Rayman Origins to gain and Okamiden is going fairly cheap on Amazon.

I am getting a great deal of enjoyment out of videogames at the moment.

I've just started playing Tactics Ogre on the psp, and so far, I'm enjoying it - every bit as good as everyone's been saying it is. I love grind-heavy games with content tantilisingly out of reach far too much :wub: - especially if they happen to be srpgs.

I don't think I'll be trading my psp with its knackered umd drive anytime soon - I have a fuckhuge backlog on there which includes suikoden 1 + 2, ff7, both disgaea ports, both claduns, both badman games and far too many gba roms to list. But that's also competing with my backlog of 230-odd ebooks for the right to my free time. I feel so spoilt for choice every time I go to the toilet, I really do.