What Are You Playing?

Don't get Third Strike.

I've got Super Street Fighter 4 but think I'm gunna bin that and get Arcade around christmas. (Both are compatible with each other). You can get Super SF4 for less than <£15 now and I'd recommend a Street Fighter 4 pad (or arcade stick) to play it. It's near impossible to play on 360 if you are a D-Padder.

Super Street Fighter 4 is definitely more beginner friendly. Plus it has much more in common with good old Street Fighter 2 than 3rd Strike does, and it's easier to play on a standard pad than 3rd Strike too thanks to generous leniency when it comes to recognising special move motions and so on.

You should get the disc version of arcade edition for under £20 instead of downloading it, probably, as it'll be much cheaper and take up less giggabites on your megadisc.

Also also you can play me at it Timmo also. And that Sam guy from the internet as well.

I got my stick, mad catz arcade stick tournament edition 2 for a 100 pounds on sendit.com which is a bargain and probably the best thing I've ever brought and its always nice when the misses comes home with a 200 pound pair of shoes makes you feel a lot better.

• Upvote 1

Still playing Saints Row but getting a little bit fucked off with it due to the total lack of checkpoints in the missions. Just played mission where I had to drive all across town, twice (of course!), protect a vehicle, then drive back. I got truly fucked over right at the end. After that all I could do was just switch the xbox off in disgust...

Resistance: Fall of Man.

Clearing backlog of random games that I've never quite got around to starting/finishing before getting stuck into more recent releases. Hopefully will save a few pennies on the process.

Not much at the moment, been busy. Intending to carry on with Metroid: Other M but haven't had the time around the telly lately. It's pretty linear, though, so I don't suppose I'll forget where I'm going.

That said, I have been plugging away at the original NES Legend of Zelda while on the go. I've heard it said that it's "unplayable" in this day and age, but I don't think it is at all, it's just really hard and has minimal signposting. It's from an era where you had one game per year and had to make it last!

I am having to make extensive use of the 3DS's notes system, though. I've basically drawn a grid pattern of the overworld map and am exploring every 'screen' (a 16 x 8 grid, fact fans!) and marking off any doors or dungeons I find, so I know how to get back to them, and keeping notes on what NPCs say about things. I've got the sword upgrade, got a better shield, got a longer range boomerang and am up to eight heart pieces so far. Currently up to the fourth dungeon, which I'm finding quite tough. I already know where five and six are, as I stumbled across them before.

It's surprisingly good. Outrageously hard by modern standards, but satisfying. I'm determined to beat it, even if it's just to say that I have. No walktrhoughs, no FAQs, just my own notes. I'm doing this thing solo!

• Upvote 3

Sod your MW3 & Battlefield 3's, I'm playing Dungeon Defenders on XBLA, and it's bloody brilliant, although sadly destined to be overlooked by prettymuch everyone.

They really did choose the wrong time of year to release it :(

Finished the standard levels in Trainyard on iPhone, which I would recommend to anyone looking for a good mentally-stimulating puzzler. I'm saving the bonus levels (there seem to be even more of those) and moving on to Mobigame's Crossfingers. It's a neat idea but the snap-to-grid effect is perhaps a little too strong.

Also, I compiled a list of must-play 360 titles for when I unbox that beauty up there.

Which is either when I finish my thesis, or Christmas. :(

Finish your fucking thesis then! I don't care if it stops mid-flow with the sentence "... and then I played Xbox".

• Upvote 2

I just finished Phoenix Wright 3 again - I'd completed the import ages ago, but later I decided to get the Europe release because the import looked a bit awkward on my shelf full of western games, and later I decided to play the Europe copy so that I have a complete save game and all the chapters are available for replay. Except I put that off for ages, and so I've only just got around to finishing the story again.

Other than that, Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition. I'm finding that the lower stakes of public lobbies make playing the game fun again; I get much too nervous in ranked matches...