rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
BlinkyBear

Disposable Media.

Perhaps even suggest that if anyone wants to do a feature on the Sketch Up/gaming angle they could probably get it in both mags (though an article for a games mag about sketch up and an article for a sketch up mag about games wouldn't necessarily be anything like each other :S).

There's no rush (especially with people having exams and stuff), I just like to keep this near the top of the page as I know there's a very fine line between no rush and never happening.

Yes. Another twist would be a transcript of several reviewers getting together on IRC to discuss these 4 or 5 games. Like one of those "Games Night" things, without the beer and vomiting.

To see how ti can work, take a look at the Official Dreamcast magazines with Warren Christmas, Ed Lomas, Alex Huhtala etc all in a pub somewhere in London.

If someone's looking for an article to write, how about some sort of "next gen round-up" thing? Totally cliched I know, but when we go live with the mag having the appropriate names on the website contents list will no doubt greatly boost our search engine hits ^_^ - with the added bonus of being a great topic for the page designers, with all those hi-res shots floating around at the minute.

hey all,

i have a few logos that i'm going to post in the next day or so ish... (although Star Wars may get in the way a little bit). They're all simple black/white designs, but may spark off other ideas with people. I'll get some images up soon! :D

Don't be negative about simple black and white. A logo should always be simple, and being in black and white is usually a plus, especially for magazine logos, as you can change the colour at will to suit the rest of the cover - take Edge for example, I'm sure that's been in a fair old rainbow of colours over the years.

Don't be negative about simple black and white. A logo should always  be simple, and being in black and white is usually a plus, especially for magazine logos, as you can change the colour at will to suit the rest of the cover - take Edge for example, I'm sure that's been in a fair old rainbow of colours over the years.

I agreee. Perhaps keeping it monotone will allow it to exude a bit of restraint and professionalism...

This thing really is taking form now guys, I really think it's worth keeping at it.

As soon as i have indesign up and running, and the next issue of me student paper is out, I'll start designing...

If someone's looking for an article to write, how about some sort of "next gen round-up" thing? Totally cliched I know, but when we go live  with the mag having the appropriate names on the website contents list will no doubt greatly boost our search engine hits :) - with the added bonus of being a great topic for the page designers, with all those hi-res shots floating around at the minute.

Yeah, we could do worse to have an e3 roundup in issue point5. I'll make a start on Friday. Last exam this morning, and star wars and beer tomorrow to celebrate. So on Friday i'll give it a go.

While i'm posting, has anyone got a 'copy' of inDesign they could 'yousendit' to me? Mine's got whack for some reason, and i cant afford a new one!

Pretty hefty I think. I believe my yarr of it was about 180MB (though could be entirely wrong there, in either direction).

I downloaded it the other week off soulseek, very easily I might add, and it was 196mb. The filename was "adobe_indesign cs.rar" and it works perfectly so just grab it off there.

The logo above this post I like but I don't like the colour of it...something more muted would look better I think.

Very nice. On the subject of covers, what would the % split be between details of magazine contents and illustration? (e.g. Edge is about 20/80, Gamesmaster about 70/30)

We're using A4 in landscape format (as discussed somwhere earlier in the thread) as it's more suited to on screen display, with it being up to the individual how they want to treat it (though as columns are the standard for all mags I guess it's going to effectively be a double page A5 spread by default). The cover would then obviously be one A4 landscape page.

Here's a fancy looking page by Smithem. I've made a PNG screenshot of it as well the PDF he sent me, and would ask you to download the former unless you feel you really need to see the latter, because I was hoping 2.5MB would be closer to the size of the mag as a whole than a single page <_<

PNG Format Page

PDF can be found in the staff section of the site.

The font looks too...cramped. I'd suggest either dropping a font size or making the columns wider I think. And the lop-sided box in the top corner is extremely odd and looks a bit crap.

While I'm in critical mood - the multiplayer boxout is one of the most awful sentences to be written in a long time. Try my version below but mentioning whether it is fun or not wouldn't be a bad idea.

"The multiplayer mode of Gitaroo supports up to 4 people. Unfortunately the lacklustre CD-ship which is host to the multiplayer mode loses all of the single players vivid level design"

Again while I'm being picky - the characters endear themselves or the character endears himself. Not totally sure which you meant, although I presume the former. In the last paragraph it should read "destined to become" rather than "destined to becoming" too.

Much more importantly though, I did read the whole review though which is always a good sign. A very nice length and I've got a fair idea what the game is about and whether it is good or not after reading it - I've never played Gitarooman so that's a very good thing for that one page to achieve.

If this magazine has a good editor it could turn out quite well from that small example. Certainly what that one page needed more than anything else.

I suppose I'd better put the PDF somewhere public in this case. It's at least partially the rendering of it at that PDF size that's effecting hos the font looks. I think half the problem is down to a big discrepancy between what'll look good printed and what will look good on screen without the PDF being viewed at magnification.

PDF

A suggestion: don't get carried away with boxouts unless you want your readers to think that the 'zine considers them to have short attention spans. The current structure looks rather nice.

Thanks for the critique. I'm personally an editor, not a designer or writer, and I did both for this.

I'm terrible at editing my own...

The boxout was really to fill space and level out the page- sentence was tacked on- and I'm now embarrassed to look at it!

Really I just hoped my attempt might push other designers to pickup an article and run with it.

I REALLY like Smiths page.

except for the middle blue quotation: "You may not care whether...."

Thing is, when I write an article, I think I'd like to be able to do the layout and choose the pics as well. I might have to acquire a copy of this "Indesign".

Here's a rough layout i've been squeezing in this morning... needs a lot of work (Google is not really the best source of artwork), but - like I say - I am actually trying to do work at the same time :)

gitrough9vn.th.jpg

,May 23 2005, 11:50 AM]Here's a rough layout i've been squeezing in this morning... needs a lot of work (Google is not really the best source of artwork), but - like I say - I am actually trying to do work at the same time :)

Yep, that's what I want to see. Nice Work.

Have you converted the article from before to a foreign language?

Yep, that's what I want to see. Nice Work.

Have you converted the article from before to a foreign language?

Cheers :)

I couldn't find the link to the article so I just used latin placeholder text. Just for visualisation purposes.