rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
BlinkyBear

Disposable Media.

I write for various gaming related and technology sites along with the Uni magazine etc so I would be happy to contribute towards an online magazine. How would it be best for me to proceed?

With regards to the name of the mag..

Kogetsu just came to me for no reason what so ever.

At the minute I'd say choose your best recent article and get ready to send it to someone for the "test issue" (no point in having exclusive content for it really). Can be me if you like,

timcheesman AT gmail DOT com

Same goes for everyone else interested in writing, and I'll pass them on to BlinkyBear when he gets back, when they'll presumably be distributed out to the page designers to put together all fancy like.

At the minute I'd say choose your best recent article and get ready to send it to someone for the "test issue" (no point in having exclusive content for it really). Can be me if you like,

timcheesman AT gmail DOT com

Same goes for everyone else interested in writing, and I'll pass them on to BlinkyBear when he gets back, when they'll presumably be distributed out to the page designers to put together all fancy like.

I've sent by a recent review - looking forward to the results. :D

You guys might wanna check out the PDF magazine that was done by the uk.games.video.misc at www.ugvm.org.

Had a gander (www.ugvm.org doesn't work, I just googled uk.games.video.misc) It works well, good amount of content but our one would look much better, theirs is pretty clunky in its layout.

PDF seems to be a good way to go, and its true that landscape will sit on the screen far better.

Fonts, page styles and other such details are covered - but do we actually have a firm idea of what we're writing about? I say games. And more games. If expansion makes sense later on then so be it, but let's not bite off more than we can chew, eh?

Fonts, page styles and other such details are covered - but do we actually have a firm idea of what we're writing about? I say games. And more games. If expansion makes sense later on then so be it, but let's not bite off more than we can chew, eh?

Personally I'd say we should include anything that's a quality read, even if it's primarily a games mag with an "everything else" section at the back.

As in Blinky's original proposal, it will let everyone who has an interest in working in the magazine industry get something published to go in a portfolio (including myself, as although I'm happy doing page designing for games stuff I also want to produce my own articles from scratch, and not about games).

After all it's an "Rllmuk Magazine", and although games brought us all together the Off Topic, Film & TV, Music and Food folders are infact slightly busier than the gaming forums.

I feel that it will simply fall onto the design and the writing skill, which I'm sure we all have in spades. Got to get around to finishingmy review/feature

Personally I'd say we should include anything that's a quality read, even if it's primarily a games mag with an "everything else" section at the back.

As in Blinky's original proposal, it will let everyone who has an interest in working in the magazine industry get something published to go in a portfolio (including myself, as although I'm happy doing page designing for games stuff I also want to produce my own articles from scratch, and not about games).

Agreed - but we still need structure of some sort. i.e. sections, allocated word counts etc. If we try to just lump everything in without giving much thought to the structure, we're doomed. Hey, maybe somebody has all this figured out already, it's just me worrying like a worrisome worry-machine. ;)

Well, we haven't really got that far as yet. Other than three people sending me sample articles - and getting close to choosing a name and standard font - we haven't really progressed past a list of people interested in doing stuff :S

I think we know "Issue 0" is going to be a total mish-mash, just to assess people's strengths and weaknesses, then Issue 1 proper will be a lot more structured in the ways you describe: people submitting article ideas, then going ahead if they're ok'd (and/or section requirements being handed out), with word counts etc

How abouts an outline of what's been suggested so far-

A section for short recent reviews,

Section of longer more 'time extended' features on games

Section for broadly gamer features... trends, gamer meets, exhibits .etc

Perhaps even, interview section, or a Q&A section (like the broadsheet supplements) with a games designer/publisher.

What do you think?

Fast reply-(need to get back to Thomas Hardy).

Name-I like 'Ban Request'. Though it does seem a it cliquey, and while i like it, it suggests Computers and Internet more than anything else, and i think the magazine should have a broad spectrum of articles, but primarily Games.

Which is why my favourite so far is 'Disposable Media'. Short, unique and very now, it says that we know our shit, but don't wanna excludethe readers from it.

So, shall we agree on 5 names and poll-me-up-good-daddio?

I think we need to establish a standard style for the moment just to get the thing up and running. If we all agree on a few things, the art people can go and knock an idea or two up, from there we can choose which is the best. We can then add articles and have issue point5. (zero) Baby steps i think, we'll do this simply at easily manageable stages.

So we've got a font, a page size, and we drop caps 3 line on Reviews, we have the 'logo, on every page, with page numbers in the centre of every page. (logo behind the page number 'ghosted' behind?)

Anything else?

Oh, and I frickin love that idea of an article on videogame inspired clothes.

That is exactly the kinda thing i was thinking of.

I suppose technicalities like font size can be decided later.

I'm gonna get around to writing and researching a bit.

It would probably be best not to put a best before date on this first issue, as I'm sure it will bounce along a couple of people before settling!

You'd best make the poll. Most people will say Ban Request on a straight vote, so you'd need to state the case for Disposable Media in such a thread to give it a chance. Or just take an executive decision as the mag's your idea :ph34r:

I think i might just call it Disposable Media, and have a Ban Request section-a small bit with what's rubbish-ie, Ban Request-Sony and the PSP European Launch Details. *Insert witty polemic here*

What d'ya think?

Oh, and I frickin love that idea of an article on videogame inspired clothes.

That is exactly the kinda thing i was thinking of.

Yeah, I liked that too, I imagined a fashion section where clothes/outfits are recommended based on what games characters are wearing ie dungarees and flat caps in relation to mario etc.

I was at a friends house playing co-op SC:Chaos theory on a system link on Sunday so that'll be the first entry into the gamers diary methinks. On Saturday I'm meeting up with friends for a day of gaming and there's a forumites four swords gathering of the city folk before long, that keeps the content coming.

Unfortunately tho I'm inbetween moving flats and staying at my girlfriends so I don't have access to my computer to do the rainbow islands art stuff right now, I'll be okay in a week so that's the eta for that.

Just had a quick scour with google and managed to find this, not as slick as I envisage our magazine to be but it has it's moments.

I recommend opening acrobat reader first and then open the file within it else it loads full screen, there is a disable full screen button on the left though.

PDF Mag

I'd like the mag to be quite bright, not overtly colourful but have some life to it, white pages with just text on are pretty uninspiring

Hi all,

What shall we art/design guys do in the meantime while waiting for the final Name, Font and Style to be decided (or have they?) :)

I'm thinking we should come up with some logo designs for 'Disposable Media' and 'Ban Request'...

Any thoughts?

Mike

We're 99% on Disposable Media, so knock up logos for that.

Preferably make them in a vector format for easy resizing (something like Illustrator), but we won't hold it against you if you don't

Bare in mind the landscape format of the magzine, so you won't be designing to the traditional "stretches accross the top of an A4ish page" scale. And that doesn't necessarily mean you have to do something really long, the logo could just as happily sit in the middle, or the top left corner, of the page.

Ideally it also wants to be something that will work both small and big so was can have a tiny version on each page inside the mag, but again there's flexibility here as we could simply use text in it's place.

Personally I always like reviews of like minded games grouped together in a feature, like they used to have in PC Zone (or may indeed still have, not read it in a couple of years).

Eg 4 or 5 of the best racing games compared to each other in various areas (gfx, sound, multiplayer etc) and then an overall definitive winner..

That what I used to like to read in game mags anyway :D

Who are you Smithem? I'm not entirely sure I've got one from you.

Mat Smith

Paul Bryant

Dah

Jamie Thompson

are the names I have them from so far. I'm worried Gmail didn't get emails for a few hours anyway :S