rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
BlinkyBear

Disposable Media.

I wouldn't mind doing a 'Woman's Weekly'-style article covering my miserable Cinema incident (replete with 'serious' photos of myself and reconstructions of the key moments).

This format could also be applied to countless other forumites and their tales.

Hello.

I know you're looking for amatuers, but if pro journos are allowed, can I volunteer?

I just fancy writing about games, and music, and films and comics, and geeks, and stuff.

And with eloquence like that dripping from ym keyboard, how could you say no?

Im not looking for any form of mainstream interest, and not looking to narrow the audience down to 'just rllmuk readers'. I would suggest that the ideas being thrown about are likely to appeal to people who browse this forum, and take part in it, but woudn't alienate any old reader.

It should be informed but not too pretentious, entertaining but not sacrificing quality.

Cheeko-i like that idea alot.

We're gonna need some professional journos to show us the ropes, keep us in check, but generally just be of assisstance.

And yeah, it'll look good in a portfolio.

I'd love to get onboard with this.

Wouldn't mind helping with any subbing or page layup, use some of the ole indesign and quark skills. I think indesign might be a better choice, due to the ease of transferring to pdf.

I think that the thing should concentrate on what rllmuk does; picking up on niche gaming ideas before anyone else. Most people here seem to know exactly which issues are passing through gaming.

This should make fresh features pretty easy.

I'd love to do some kind of game family tree for games, using perhaps books, films plays .etc culminating in say.. DMC3 or something!

I received an email today advertising a new ezine. It's a 3D/computer generated arts mag called Plug.

In the email you get what is like a contents page but with small sample articles in it, the contents are clickable links which take you to the relevant article on the site.

Maybe you don't need to link to the stories, just the front page of the site but I think it's quite a nice way to advertise it or send it out for people to read. They get to sample a couple of interesting articles and get an overview of the mag contents.

Gonna gove this a few more days before i send out PMs to see who's really interested and who wants to write/design a few things for issue point5.

I'm a little late, but I'd love to contribute to this.

I think what's needed is for someone to start laying down concrete plans and start ignoring some of our requests - if we leave this open to debate for too long we'll end up in a state of perpetual procrastination.

Yes, I'm serving my own interests here and I am thinking about how nice it will look in my portfolio - but that just means I'll have to contribute some of my best work to date. :)

EDIT - I write, by the way - see the reviews folder.

When are we going to get this going then? I really don't want it to die inthe vague concept stage.

I gave it a bump this weekend and we've got a couple more interested parties so later on today i'll be putting together a list of all the people who've displayed an interest. From this we can all see who's available and who can do what. We can then all start to put together an idea of how this will work/look/ read and start to contribute bit by bit.

Here's a run down of who have voiced an interest in contirbuting, and with what:

WORDS

Gazimod

Jonny Rat

Leonard Hatred

Longleaf

Badger

Preacher

Ravern

GinzaUK

GRAPHICS

Cheeko

Chrisman303

Tofu

Smithen

Cypher

OTHER

Mr Pogo

Untogtether

Bushby

Pretentious Helvetica

Disco Stu

Bastion Booger

I think that's plenty. But what do you think? Can we make a magazine together? I think so. Plenty of varied talent here. Now we just need to start putting concrete ideas together, name is a key one we need to establish soon.

How are we gonna go about sorting out contents. MSN messenger conference?

Emails? PM? Here?

What do you guys think? What's the next stage?

*edited*

Here will always be the best way to discuss it.

I think I should come off the list though cos I really doubt I'll have anything of interest to contribute. I'm no writer.

Well, first we're gonna need a name, and to sort out a basic house style. Like what sort of font are the going to use? Will there be a small logo on each? page etc etc

Well, first we're gonna need a name, and to sort out a basic house style. Like what sort of font are the going to use? Will there be a small logo on each? page etc etc

Just a quick flash of inspiration-why not use this font? Not sure what it is, but it's cerainly smart enough with a little bit of cool about it. It's recognisable because it's used here and perfectly readable.

I'd like the logo to be on each page, if we can conceive something that's bold but not intrusive. Maybe behind the page #?

I think a name should be put to ask the forum, get as many suggestions as possible.

Just a quick flash of inspiration-why not use this font? Not sure what it is, but it's cerainly smart enough with a little bit of cool about it. It's recognisable because it's used here and perfectly readable.

I'd like the logo to be on each page, if we can conceive something that's bold but not intrusive. Maybe behind the page #?

I think a name should be put to ask the forum, get as many suggestions as possible.

Should be Verdana based on a quick look at the code (though having compared things in Word I think Arial is what my browser is showing).

While I remember (having thought about this several times, but never whilst at the computer...), I propose we use a landscape A4 page for the layout.

It is this size on screen at 100%, using InDesign's default settings for such a thing, and thus much better for viewing on a monitor than the traditional portrait design.

We could then either treat it as two facing A5 pages (probably better for portfolio work), or just a single A4 in that design.

I'm gonna be away for the weekend-ceebrating me birthday like.

So i'll catch up with y'all on Tuesday.

Can someone post a topic in 'ask forum' regarding a name. Ask for suggestions and let everyone know what the deal is with this magazine, get a bit more interest going.

And MrPogo, I like that idea a lot. It suits the media much better and gives the mag a certain unique quality.

Blinky, I'd be up for doing bits of writing for this. I can't guarantee a beautiful article every week, but I'd be more than happy to contribute to it in written form.

So, yeah. Put me down under writing, if you don't mind.

You guys might wanna check out the PDF magazine that was done by the uk.games.video.misc at www.ugvm.org. They might be able to give advice.

It's very good.

PDF would probably be better, web based magazines arn't exactly uncommon on the Internet. It'd be nice to have a magazine that's independant of having an Internet connection. Besides, with web magazines, there's no real publishing 'deadline' to motivate those lazy writers, people would end up submitting stuff when they felt like it.

Personally I think that a magazine that is a jack of all trades is doomed to failure. If the range of topics is too large, some people won't know anything about certain topics being discussed. Not everyone at rllmuk shares the same interest in films, music, fashion etc but we DO all share an interest in videogames. IMO it should concentrate almost entirely on videogames and if necessary other toipics should be limited to those that have some sort of link to videogames (e.g. videogame OSTs, T-Shirts, films based on games etc)

Put me down for writing :unsure:

Definately a feature right there- picture-based on gaming tees

Run a bit lifestyle-wise!

Pic+description- it makes itself!

*Claims idea for his first article!*

IMO it should concentrate almost entirely on videogames and if necessary other toipics should be limited to those that have some sort of link to videogames (e.g. videogame OSTs, T-Shirts, films based on games etc)

Agreed. Even though the forum will be the first to sample our delights, the rest of the world won't have a fucking clue what we're on about - grand ambitions at this stage maybe, but start as we mean to go on and all that.

I'm getting restless. With that in mind, I propose a "creative jam" - like team training exercises only not as patronising and shit. If writers submit a short piece to this thread, maybe the graphic wizards could come up with something to make the words look a bit more appealing?

In short, let's see what you got people! :D

Sounds like a plan: I'd be happy to ramble on at length for 1'000 words about a game or a particular gaming trend or something if that's what your looking for (check out my columns at the bottom right of GamerArchive or the hash edge blog - in my sig - for a better idea of what I mean)...so long as we get a load of support on this thing rather than two or three contributors...

Quickly about the fonts fonts, Verdana is primarily a screen font and not really that suited to print. I think something like Helvetica (Neue) or Franklin Gothic is better.

As they are a few names on the design/layout list I reckon it would be a good idea to establish some kind of identity (font, page numbering, drop caps etc) between the designers and then for the mag let people do a feature each.