rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
BlinkyBear

Disposable Media.

Well, seems like the best way of working out what it's going to be like/look like to me. Let's call it a Beta version then :D Stuff like features won't age too quickly, but even if it's going to be quarterly we won't want things like reviews being too out of date by the time it' published. Hence we need content written soon to work out our "house style", but we won't be ready for issue one for a fair while I'd have thought.

Well, seems like the best way of working out what it's going to be like/look like to me. Let's call it a Beta version then :D Stuff like features won't age too quickly, but even if it's going to be quarterly we won't want things like reviews being too out of date by the time it' published. Hence we need content written soon to work out our "house style", but we won't be ready for issue one for a fair while I'd have thought.

Im not anticipating issue 1 to be ready for a few months.

And yeah, it is necessary to have a first trial edition, call it point5. If you will. We can have reviews for the latest big games as a trial -establish a barometer?

It might be a good idea to affiliate with a game website, one that perhaps a few members are already writing for? That way you've got a regualr contributing team and less to worry about for now...

An interesting idea in some respects (they're one of my favourite parts of Edge, for example), but it would almost certainly end up a total mess. Kind of like the first posts of topics on here, without the rest of the thread.

one think that bothers me about this - would there be enough quality material written about new releases? previous experience with web zines suggests not.

If not, you'd probably have to throw open the doors to (hnnng) retro reviews, which would promptly tip the balance fo the mag, with everybody reviewing their favorite games of yesteryear - which would be a bit bollocks, since everybody who's going to read it will have played Midwinter2, Track and Field, Toejam & Earl or whatever.

Retrospective reviews are slightly more relevant, but veer towards 'features' rather than all out 'reviews'.

So: Old games, yes - by all means, but hopefully less than 20% of the reviews.

one think that bothers me about this - would there be enough quality material written about new releases? previous experience with web zines suggests not.

If not, you'd probably have to throw open the doors to (hnnng) retro reviews, which would promptly tip the balance fo the mag, with everybody reviewing their favorite games of yesteryear - which would be a bit bollocks, since everybody who's going to read it will have played Midwinter2, Track and Field, Toejam & Earl or whatever.

Retrospective reviews are slightly more relevant, but veer towards 'features' rather than all out 'reviews'.

So: Old games, yes - by all means, but hopefully less than 20% of the reviews.

I agree, which is why i think features might be more prevalent in the mag. I lik the time extend idea-essay and examination of a game. Its perfectly reasonable to shorten the word count and have reviews of games a couple of months after release. Mag reviews tend to look at the quality of the game and allow people to decide whether its worth buying or not: in theory we could have re-reviews as well, looking at how thw game holds up after a few months play, looking at replay value, its effect on replay, that sort of thing.

Traditional reviews would stil have a part to play, but im keen on really examing games, not just playing them through and giving them a score.

Any yeah, no 'news' as such, thats the internets job nowadays-instead opinions and editorials.

do a print-based one.

everyone does 1 double spread of whatever they want, one person is chosen to do a front and back cover, and someone whacks it all together in a PDF

nice design whore-o-rama

This looks great, I'd like to do some game based art so I'll contribute.

Been looking for an excuse to do some Rainbow Islands images for a while.

RAINBOWS!

So what the fuck do we put in it if we don't have reviews?

Have you noticed that as well as the "reviews" folder on this forum, there is also a "discussion" (and "retro") folder? Or that each of these folders is more than ten times bigger than the reviews folder?

So what the fuck do we put in it if we don't have reviews?

That is unbelievably stupid.

If you're going to make a magazine of some note, you'll need something considerably more interesting and different than just pages and pages of boring reviews.

Hang on.. i'm not saying that reviews that should be the be all and end all of the magazine.

My point is, we need some form of review section. A magazine with nothing bt essays and features would be overly complex, and too much of a read. We need a balance, micro reviews as well as extended examinations of games, features as well as editorials.

I want more ideas people. The point of this mag is partly to just have a completly new and fresh style. There's no point saying 'no reviews', i want your suggestions instead.

Personally, i think we can incorporate a mix of review styles- a few small notes, literally 50 words, long, indepth reviews and full length essays. I'm sure we can find people who are competent at different styles of review.

Chrisman303-sounds good, keep an eye out for more info as soon as.

Icebox-at what point have i ever suggested that i want "pages and pages of boring reviews"? I haven't. In fact i've said the complete opposite. Please don't bother with the sniping. I'd appreciate some ideas, not pointless sniping.

immitating mainstream media is an inevitability, to some extent.

fuck, i'm relatively well read, but i'd still fall back on my mental image of the gaming press writing something for a games magazine. No - not a tips page or some such shit, and certainly none of the arse-clenchingly bad "Dear Reader... (Fired -Ed)" cliches, but i'd certainly have a concept of page layout, format, tone and pace.

That said, i had an interview with OPS2 many moons ago, and being a complete asshat, decided to write a stylised concept review (that brdered on NGJ) of a popular rockstar title. Obviously went down like a lead balloon with the Sony rag, who's reading age is somewhere between 5 and 14.

Needless to say, i didn't get the job.

immitating mainstream media is an inevitability, to some extent.

It doesn't have to be.

No, seriously. No one has yet said, or even seemed to make mention of, the most important thing to decide at this stage:

Who are the readership?

Who are going to be the people who pick up and read this thing? If you all want as wide a readership as possible then yes, imitating the commercial press to an extent will probably be a necessary evil. There's a reason the commercial press does things the way it does; it works and pulls in the punters.

Before anything else is decided, regarding content, layout and if it's on the web or on a .pdf, someone needs to work out who this thing is actually being aimed at. If anyone at all.

Once it's been decided who the readership are for this (just us at rllmuk/as many people as possible/we don't care if a soul looks at it because it's frankly something for our portfolios) then all the questions about content and format and delivery become so much easier to answer, because your readership drives your content. Always. They dictate to you what you write about and how you present it, because if you don't do it in the way that they want, they walk.

So if you decide you want ten thousand hits every three month issue, then you'd better find out what the great unwashed public (including the *shudder* casuals) wants to be told about that they can't get from places far bigger than you. If you just want a hundred people from here to have a look, then your content can be markedly different; more coloured by personality and opinion and you can afford to be far more experimental. If you just want it for portfolio purposes, then as far as written content goes you can frankly just copy ten pages out the phonebook.

Once that decision is made, you can move and decide who is going to be the editor and the designer and so and start thinking up some guidelines for submissions and the serious work of finding some content can start.

But whatever you decide, I think it should have a 'From The Forum' section. Somewhere near the back.

the writing should be accessible, and entertaining.

it shouldn't be overlong, pretentious or boring.

Writing beyond the mainstream, pushing the zeitgeist, riding the wave and thinking outside the box... Realistically, how is this magazine going to read? Articles entirely in haiku, contemplating the nature of RTS, or perceptive & nicely paced articles about online gaming? i know which i'd prefer.

Also: the audiance is obviously rllmuk.

Hey all, just noticed this thread, and thought I'd chip in my interest to help out! I've worked in the past as a magazine designer, and I'm currently trying to find a job that'll let me do it again. ;) You can see some of my stuff here.

It sounds like a very interesting idea, perhaps with a wider scope than the (impressive) Gamestyle mentioned above. There are a number of talented folk here on Rllmuk, here's hoping we can get something together!

--Ric

I wouldn't mind doing a 'Diary of a gamer' - from playing at home to going round to a forumites house for gaming sessions or getting a few mates around, a monthly account of what's being played, and why.