rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
BlinkyBear

Disposable Media.

Howdy!

There may not have been 1 million readers.

Probably not that far away-the last major milestone I recall was 300,000 total downloads. Which isn't bad.

Anyways, we've given our old website a quick tidy up and you can find all 10 issues on the front page. As free as ever and still as glorious as when they were first released.

Keep an eye out for a couple of more small updates over the next few weeks.

UPDATE: September 24th.

Good evening one and all, welcome along to Disposable Media Issue 9.

It's been a while coming, but rest assured, it's the single best thing we've ever created. Once again listening to your opinions, wants and (the few) criticisms, we've gone away and worked furiously to produce our best ever issue.

As a brief lowdown of what the games section has to offer, get your eyeballs around this:

Disposable Media: Issue 9

dm9covermj8.jpg

dm9perrygv8.jpg

Second-part of our exclusive interview with developer Dave Perry.

dm9blastqv6.jpg

A look at GBA title Blast Arena Advance and an interview with its creator.

dm9viewtifulso7.jpg

GameCube classic Viewtiful Joe takes the retro spotlight.

Plus, Disposable Media was lucky enough to be invited to the Develop Conference in Brighton last month, so full coverage is also inside.

As mentioned, this is just a teaser for the games section - the rest of the magazine is equally rammed full of unique, insightful opinions, exclusive features and stunning artwork, carefully selected for your enjoyment.

A small selection includes:

FILM & TV:

Exclusive interview with Doctor Who writer Gareth Roberts - the man behind last series' The Shakespeare Code.

Battle of the Robot Women: A preview of two new U.S. shows - The Sarah Connor Chronicles and The Bionic Woman.

A look back at the late Ingmar Bergman's most famous film, The Seventh Seal.

Plus, a look at the DM team's saddest summer flicks, and your usual reviews package.

MUSIC:

DM's spolight falls upon The Mercury Music Prize and we interview John Earls for his vital opinion on the Prize.

We get covered in mud at the Carling Weekend.

Plus, Good vs. Bad makes an appearance, as does your usual package of music reviews.

COMICS:

An examination of comics creator Chris Ware.

A look at indie comic The Walking Dead.

Plus, DM's The Doormat takes a surprise trip over to the Comics section this month.

We'll add a few more screens later on, but for now you can grab your FREE copy via download or for reading in your browser at http://www.disposablemedia.co.uk/.

Love and biscuits,

DM.

I've been looking to do something like that myself (the online magazine aspect, rather than necessarily the video games). I wouldn't mind doing a bit of page designing/subbing for people who just want to write (using Indesign), as well as complete articles myself.

Thats the spirit. Get the ball rolling and all that.

Just to point out, ill be away all weekend, so i wont be replying until Monday lunch i imagine, but id like loads of ideas and hopefully this thing would evolve naturally.

Since rllmuk is arguably an Edge Online spinoff, I think it'd be great to at least have a go at a collaborative 'zine effort. So, yeah, I'd be interested (although at the mo' I've personally got a load of unreviewed titles to write about for my editor so I might not be able to find time)

Since rllmuk is arguably an Edge Online spinoff, I think it'd be great to at least have a go at a collaborative 'zine effort. So, yeah, I'd be interested (although at the mo' I've personally got a load of unreviewed titles to write about for my editor so I might not be able to find time)

A kind of rllmuk in print is the sort of thing that i was thinking of. Bit of humour, bit of informed opinion. Lots of fun and lots of swanky graphics.

I think it's a good idea.

Having said that, I think you should be using this time to work out what is going to make this project stand out from the three thousand or so similar things that are avaliable through the web at the moment.

Making it .pdf, or downloadable in some way is a good start. Web based is so 2003.

I think you've hit on one aspect that many of these things are lacking in. You called it 'swanky graphics', I like to call it 'commisioned original artwork'. With some of the artists and photographers that are here if you can get them involved, producing original art based on the articles that you're running...that could really be something special.

Hell, I don't know...why don't you smash up a Megadrive every month in original ways and photograph the process. If nothing else, it'll drive the retro collectors nuts.

There's been loads already - all the ones I've seen are more or less like Blessed, i.e. more or less trying to emulate Edge's writing style. Avoid that problem and you could have an interesting 'zine.

Can you not make it PDF though? Very few people can be bothered to print them, and they're useless to browse onscreen.

Personally I'm more interested on having my name on a professional looking product I can show potential employers than how many people actually read it.

On that basis I'd like PDF as I can print it out for a portfolio, though I have in the past toyed with the idea of having the pages displayed in a browser as graphics, as in each page is a 800x600 (or whatever resolution) gif/jpg/png etc as appropriate.

It needs to be something that's not simply a webpage, or it'll be a website, and not what I want to be doing (looking to get into magazine design myself, so it ultimately needs to be something I can put together in Quark/Indesign, and will look exactly as I want it by whoever is viewing it).

I was tempted to do one for gamepaused.net but never got round to it.

Would/could possibly be interested.

rllmuk online based magazine + gamepaused hosting = sorted.

It'd be like Edge Online, but proper. Maybe.

I spent ten minutes trying to write a reply to this last night but I lost it. Ho hum.

I'd like to do something with this, it sounds like a very cool idea. Any ideas on the kind of content yet? Reviews and longer features are a given, I guess, but I don't really see the point in news stuff; that's what the forum's for. It's also be cool to include some of the creative writing from this very folder. And, has been said, the design is going to be critical and could turn this into something really amazing.

As for pdf vs online.. well, I do think pdf format zines encourage the reader to actually look at all the content; actually treat it a bit more like a physical magazine. Although they're a bit of a hassle for some readers, obviously.

I'm more into the non-videogame part of it myself, probably doing inteviews and the like. I may be able to get Jeordie White/Twiggy Ramirez (ex-Marilyn Manson, A Perfect Circle, Nine Inch Nails fame) if we can come up with a name and professional looking "pre-launch" site fairly sharpish (to convince him it'll be worth the effort :P), though he's contractually bound to not talk about most of the other bands, so it'd be about his own side projects, and probably his video game obsession once he's pimped his album enough.

EDIT: Doh, it's probably too late to get hold of him for a few of months now, they'll be off on tour in a few days, then he's tied down to NIN.

could we not just host a wiki and let everyone start messing about with it putting on whatever they liked. it could have a structure like ap2. that would be COOL and almost original. or maybe it would randomly serve content without a normal structure

I'd like to wish everyone involved the best of luck with this venture, Gamestyle released 8 issues of GSO Magazine over the course of last year. Sadly we have decided to close the mag, so it will be nice to see a new title replace it.

I think we'll be going for a "we'll use anything that's any good" method to start off with. I think that would be the best approach, especially if it's an unofficial Rllmuk mag. Obviously some organisation would be necessary though, so we don't get 10 people reviewing whatever that month's big release is.

Gamestyle looked damn nice there by the way.

could we not just host a wiki and let everyone start messing about with it putting on whatever they liked. it could have a structure like ap2. that would be COOL and almost original. or maybe it would randomly serve content without a normal structure

Not quite

Hilariously, State also began life as an excellent online zine, and slowly disappeared up it's own arse before re-emerging as a Wiki-butterfly. Now with a confusing new design!

I'd like to write something for this zine, though. I'll even put it through a spellchecker as a special treat.

Gamestyle looked damn nice there by the way.

Thanks very much, we are very lucky to have a couple of magazine designers on the team. We might have one last stab at a Retro issue in a few months time, but in the meantime we want to push the website.

Ideas/thoughts/reactions from posts:

i think maybe a pdf mag and a web based mage are both entirely feasible. same stuff gets written, but different teams convert stuff to pdf or web.

id like some sort of of original/fresh element, especially if web based. links to videos of in game footage in reviews, clips of music for music reviews/flash animation comics. that sort of thing. nothing revolutionary but still fresh. any ideas how to expnad this idea are greatly appreciated.

art and the look should be very important. think iam8bit-influences from videogames in art form. anyone want to make art?

the look of the mage should reflect the personality of the contributors, the subject and must look diffferent from everything else. i want clean but technically superb, lots of new ideas and perspectives on old techniques.

as for contents, i think reviews should be hugely personal. id prefer each review to be a real personal opinion, and not being anonymous. im not keen on the edge way of referring to the Mag in 3rd person. Reviews need to be indepth and written in an engaging manner, not simply "game X has feature Y."

Oh, and spread the word about, i was hoping for more of a response to be honest and there's so much talent around here.

Reviews need to be indepth and written in an engaging manner, not simply "game X has feature Y."

Agreed: it's supposed to be an opinion of the game's quality, not an instruction manual or press release.

Maybe we should look to putting together an issue 0. People are mor likely to contribute when they see it's going to be more than just talk.

Agreed.

Problem is we need to establish what format the mag will take, contents etc.

I like the idea of a Quarterly.

But yes, a small issue Zer0 is needed.