IGNORED

Editors

cyd charisse

Probably the most contrived band I've seen hyped by the NME since the last one. Get the fuck off my radio, you cunts. They're ripping off Interpol ripping of Joy Division. Badly. Kids need to be told. I can tolerate Interpol. Yes, even though they only have one song, I can still tolerate Interpol. Even though Interpol's singer sounds and acts like he should be selling Batman comics, and his backing band is a bunch of 30-something accountants, I'll tolerate Interpol. But not this.

In Editors' defence, they do (genuinely) manage to make The Bravery seem quite good. So they have that going for them.

Shit name, too. They'll regret it when they stop acting like students. They even decided to leave off the 'The' from their name in an attempt to make themselves slightly less Last Year. How very clever. I will henceforth refer to them as The Editors.

What is it with the NME promoting this shite? Everyone seems to be ripping off The Strokes, The Killers, Joy Division and getting praise for it by know-it-all bigwigs who have too much ego than sense.

ARGH! Stop the phones! They ring too much and are hurting my drums!

Probably the most contrived band I've seen hyped by the NME since the last one. Get the fuck off my radio, you cunts. They're ripping off Interpol ripping of Joy Division. Badly. Kids need to be told. I can tolerate Interpol. Yes, even though they only have one song, I can still tolerate Interpol. Even though Interpol's singer sounds and acts like he should be selling Batman comics, and his backing band is a bunch of 30-something accountants, I'll tolerate Interpol. But not this.

The 'Interpol ripping off Joy Division' schtick again.. Personally, I think you can sound like another band without ripping them off. The new york hipster chic, I could live without (although who cares what they look like, man). But they've got two accomplished albums behind them, both full of hooks and cool rhythm-y trickery.

Erm, yes, the editors, though, atrocious from the couple of songs I've heard. Are they really being hyped? It even sounds a bit like coldplay too. Yuck. Still, this whole indie revival thing is still better than nu-metal.. Isn't it? Eh?

What is it with the NME promoting this shite? Everyone seems to be ripping off The Strokes, The Killers, Joy Division and getting praise for it by know-it-all bigwigs who have too much ego than sense.

ARGH! Stop the phones! They ring too much and are hurting my drums!

Are you fucking kidding me?

Everyone is ripping off The Killers?!!

That's so laughable i can't even laugh at the sheer idiocy of it all.

The Killers are a pathetic attempt of an 80s synth band. They sound like at least 5 bands i could name, and are as original as an episode of Eastenders. Its the likes of the Killers that are ripping old bands off and giving new bands a bad name.

Jeez.

It's stuff like this that makes me think we'd all be a bit better off if we stopped getting so hung up on who sounds like who. The Killers have a couple of good songs; songs that would sound good if they had synths or accordians (actually scratch that, I fucking hate accordians).

You can copy the sound, but you dont copy the songwriting.

I'm going to see them tomorrow. They have got quite good singles from what I've heard of them. Certainly preferable to Kaiser Chiefs/The Bravery/The Killers in my opinion.

But we'll see what they are like.

Are you fucking kidding me?

Everyone is ripping off The Killers?!!

That's so laughable i can't even laugh at the sheer idiocy of it all.

The Killers are a pathetic attempt of an 80s synth band. They sound like at least 5 bands i could name, and are as original as an episode of Eastenders. Its the likes of the Killers that are ripping old bands off and giving new bands a bad name.

Ripping off the killers makes sense to me, because other bands/record companies have seen how successful The Killers have become and so many more bands come out of the woodwork, start getting plugged and fuck us off until we are sick of it all.

That is what I perceive as a rip off. An original band to me that has created a wave of similar bands that have become or are just pap!

I'm going to see them tomorrow. They have got quite good singles from what I've heard of them. Certainly preferable to Kaiser Chiefs/The Bravery/The Killers in my opinion.

But we'll see what they are like.

My brother has got them booked for a gig in a week or two at his clubnight in Nottingham, he seems pretty excited about them and I normally trust his opinion. I'd be interested to hear what they're like live.

I quite liked the Bullets EP. Yeah, it rips off Joy Division (and U2 a bit on the b-sides) but not all music has to be brand new, does it?

They are absolutely abysmal live, though - don't get your hopes up.

Perhaps they had a bad night when I saw them, but they massacred Bullets by playing it too fast and with the type of scrappiness you'd expect from the Libertines or something (which, in its place can be quite endearing, but not for these tunes, IMO). Also, the drummer couldn't keep a rhythm if his life depended on it.

Saw them two weeks ago [Moving Units pulled out and the sexy We Are Scientists filled in after driving to Glasgow from Nottingham!] and was fairly impressed.

Munich was easily one of the worst songs on their set, others sounded like Joy Division tunes threw into boxes of fireworks- I was impressed. I've only heard Munich 'on record' though so maybe that's a different story.

The whole Bravery pish is laughable though, they're just your usual Uni formed hard working outfit, aren't they?

My brother has got them booked for a gig in a week or two at his clubnight in Nottingham, he seems pretty excited about them and I normally trust his opinion.  I'd be interested to hear what they're like live.

They are like...Idlewild. Almost interchangeable with Idlewild. Lots of songs building up lots of gentler rock songs. Certainly almost all the songs you wouldn't notice if they were slipped on to The Remote Part. Generally all were of a high quality though. Every band member was playing well - especially the bassist and generally they were thoroughly enjoyable. Although like Idlewild they feel completely inconsequential - not necessarily bad of course. Just inconsequential.

Best song of the night was the "I'm sure it will be a single" 'Fingers in the Factories' which worked really well. Munich and Bullets both went down well too. In fact the whole set was enjoyed more than any other band I've seen play there. It's a (shit) nightclub in Middlesbrough and gets an odd mix of people who have heard of the editors (6music listeners) and people who just go there to dance in tightly confined space (radio 1 listeners) but everyone seemed to enjoy it.

I quite liked the Bullets EP. Yeah, it rips off Joy Division (and U2 a bit on the b-sides) but not all music has to be brand new, does it?

They are absolutely abysmal live, though - don't get your hopes up.

Perhaps they had a bad night when I saw them, but they massacred Bullets by playing it too fast and with the type of scrappiness you'd expect from the Libertines or something (which, in its place can be quite endearing, but not for these tunes, IMO). Also, the drummer couldn't keep a rhythm if his life depended on it.

I think you must have seen them on a bad night. Bullets was only slightly different to the EP and Munich was almost identical. The drummer did seem to be the weak part of the band but he certainly kept in time 90% of the time.

Saw them two weeks ago and was fairly impressed.

Yep. Fairly impressed. They deserve to be the new Idlewild. Not appearing everywhere but to be a consistent seller.

In Editors' defence, they do (genuinely) manage to make The Bravery seem quite good. So they have that going for them.

Shit name, too. They'll regret it when they stop acting like students. They even decided to leave off the 'The' from their name in an attempt to make themselves slightly less Last Year. How very clever. I will henceforth refer to them as The Editors.

Comparing to Joy Division is reasonably accurate but not completely. Although it's a slightly unnecessary comparison since it's not like Ian Curtis is going to put out much new material is it?

So what if they sound completely identical but are doing different songs? If it's a good song it's worth listening to. Speaking about a new band in a deriding tone while comparing to a dead artist is nothing more than a wanky attempt at trying to get some attention through music snobbery.

"Kids need to be told"

Wanker.

Speaking about a new band in a deriding tone while comparing to a dead artist is nothing more than a wanky attempt at trying to get some attention through music snobbery.

Just as well I didn't compare them to Joy Division, then. I said they were ripping them off - there is no comparison to be made - I was comparing them to Interpol. There's no musical snobbery to my comments. People slag off The Bravery, I'm just doing my bit to make sure this inferior act gets a similar ride - which, generally speaking, it won't. The only musical snobbery comes from those who criticize The Bravery but not acts like this. And why? Because The Bravery were a ska band this time last year, before their record company stepped in. But so what? The Editors will be fishmongers next year if there's any justice in the world. The Bravery are the better band and musical snobs should accept it like I have.

Fairly impressed. They deserve to be the new Idlewild.

I challenge you to say anything more stupid than that. That's just plain rude to Idlewild. I do hope you'll look back on this thread in 2006 (or possibly a couple of months) and realise how foolish you've been. No wonder you replied to my 'kids need to be told' with 'wanker', as you're evidently one of the kids who need to be told. You'll see.

Idlewild's last album was a corker, by the way. We don't need a new Idlewild, as the current one is being harshly undervalued right now.

Just as well I didn't compare them to Joy Division, then. I said they were ripping them off - there is no comparison to be made - I was comparing them to Interpol. There's no musical snobbery to my comments. People slag off The Bravery, I'm just doing my bit to make sure this inferior act gets a similar ride - which, generally speaking, it won't. The only musical snobbery comes from those who criticize The Bravery but not acts like this. And why? Because The Bravery were a ska band this time last year, before their record company stepped in. But so what? The Editors will be fishmongers next year if there's any justice in the world. The Bravery are the better band and musical snobs should accept it like I have.

I challenge you to say anything more stupid than that. That's just plain rude to Idlewild. I do hope you'll look back on this thread in 2006 (or possibly a couple of months) and realise how foolish you've been. No wonder you replied to my 'kids need to be told' with 'wanker', as you're evidently one of the kids who need to be told. You'll see.

Idlewild's last album was a corker, by the way.  We don't need a new Idlewild, as the current one is being harshly undervalued right now.

Idlewild == Editors

Completely inconsequential but easy on the ears. Idlewild haven't made an albums worth of good songs over 3 albums, but knock together some occasionally very listenable songs. There albums are fine to listen to on a boring sunday but they never did and never will set the world on fire. I'll imagine t'Editors will do the same.

Play 'Bullets' then 'World in My Hands' then 'Munich' then 'American English' and you'll see the complete similarity between the two. A scottish accent is the only difference. Idlewild are probably better for their singles, but certainly not much. How you can like one but not the other and then praise The Bravery is bizarre. Personal taste and all that but still - bizarre.

The Joy Division comparison is much less accurate live for the record. I don't think you have given them a fair chance.

For the record - anyone who wants to teach someone about what music they are allowed to like is a complete wanker however old or young they are.

Wanker.

For the record - anyone who wants to teach someone about what music they are allowed to like is a complete wanker however old or young they are.

As it happens, I thought that over since I wrote it, and I decided that because most kids download their music for free these days it really doesn't matter. At least many of them won't waste their money on Editors.

You've got to understand, I'm someone who went to watch the Coldplay/Terris co-headline tour five or something years ago. If only I knew then what I know now. I went to see Terris :lol:

As it happens, I thought that over since I wrote it, and I decided that because most kids download their music for free these days it really doesn't matter. At least many of them won't waste their money on Editors.

You've got to understand, I'm someone who went to watch the Coldplay/Terris co-headline tour five or something years ago. If only I knew then what I know now. I went to see Terris  :P

It's not wasted money if they enjoy it though is it?

I would try and insult you further but you seem to be doing a good job on your own.

You have chosen to ignore cyd charisse. View this post · Un-ignore cyd charisse

I would try and insult you further but you seem to be doing a good job on your own.

I'll just have to do without a child 'insulting' me by writing 'wanker' at the end of each post.

Because Rev is being childish, what he doesn't understand is, someone saying 'kids need to be informed that this band is shit and has been done better and is being done better' is quite different from someone saying 'kids shouldn't listen to this band'. He needs to be told this.

It was suggested to me that the drummer was high on something (he looked completely fucked), and I guess that might have thrown the rest of the band off.

I'd imagine that having the rhythm messed up would put them off plus they were probably quite pissed off with each other. Not a particularly good sign but they were fine last night so hopefully it's not a regular thing.

And lord knows drummers are easy to replace.

Idlewild == Editors

Completely inconsequential but easy on the ears. Idlewild haven't made an albums worth of good songs over 3 albums, but knock together some occasionally very listenable songs. There albums are fine to listen to on a boring sunday but they never did and never will set the world on fire. I'll imagine t'Editors will do the same. 

Play 'Bullets' then 'World in My Hands' then 'Munich' then 'American English' and you'll see the complete similarity between the two. A scottish accent is the only difference. Idlewild are probably better for their singles, but certainly not much. How you can like one but not the other and then praise The Bravery is bizarre. Personal taste and all that but still - bizarre.

The Joy Division comparison is much less accurate live for the record. I don't think you have given them a fair chance.

Wanker.

Umm, they have 4 albums :(

and an EP

They have seriously gone downhill since 100 Broken windows, though. They used to actually rock, now they just kind of bob.

I saw We Are Scientists last week in New York – very impressed.

Indeedy! They were on Lamacq's Showcase on Monday night too. They needed to be good to smooth over my dissapointment of Moving Units 'flight complications'.

http://www.wearescientists.com people. Nice personal website with plenty of 'real shit' and 'flaming tracks' to stream.

Really nice chatty folks too. I think the bassist said he used to be a teacher or something and just moved to Brooklyn. Factoid!

Umm, they have 4 albums  :wub:

and an EP

They have seriously gone downhill since 100 Broken windows, though. They used to actually rock, now they just kind of bob.

So they do.

I have completely ignored the existence of this album. How odd.

Literally did not know it existed.

Piracy a-go-go.