IGNORED

Cv Retro Episode

Audrey Tautou

Good stuff. I really enjoyed the retrospectives on the Speccy and C64, good mixture of obvious classics and more personally interesting stuff. Nice sincerity to the reviews as well - echoes the feelings of most of us that grew up with those machines.

Dear CV team: best episode yet, by a fair way. Concept's the wrong word, but when you revolve an episode around a certain issue it's often extremely hard to hit the nail on the head. But it had precisely the right tone throughout, all the sentiments expressed were, importantly, genuine and you really felt the passion. Buckets of laughs as well, but that's what it's all about. Really coherantly tied together all the sections as well, and didn't feel quite as staccato as other episodes have perhaps been.

Two thumbs up and a cheesy grin.

Yep, a big congrats for that.

It's actually my first ever episode of Consolevania and it featured two of my all time favourite games in Penetrator and Monty on the Run.

Good stuff. I am glad you did decide to go with the Speccy and C64 rather than obscure japanese shooters. Makes it far more inclusive.

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for digging this thread up, but I've only just got around to seeing this episode, so thought it only right for me to post my views.

- Biglime's (it is him, right?) reviewing of that C64 adventure, Monty on the Run, and a few other C64 titles is excellent. You can feel and hear the passion he has for the system and those games in his voice. It comes across brilliantly, and he really puts across at just WHY those games have such a special place in his heart. Wonderful, wonderful stuff, and this is coming from a Spectrum owner!

- We then move onto the chap (sorry I don't know your name) who's looking at the Spectrum and a range of titles there. Here we see someone who just looks and sounds like he'd rather be doing anything else than talking about these titles. A real shame.

The rest of the show (apart from the amazing bit where the team go on a tour of old computer game shops that are now closed down) is really not my cup of tea. The show was meant to be a retro special, and we're `treated` (if that can be the word to use) to a talking hand in a skip, and two of the presenters doing some really lame scenes in a cupboard.

I want more of the passion Biglime was showing us in the C64 section. After all, the programme was meant to be retro.

I fully admit that the CV team do an amazing job. I just wish we'd have more of the games etc than the lame cutscene bits.

Clearly I'm in a monority as from what I have read, most people loved it, so they must be doing something right.

I'll be looking forward to any future retro CV's though.

Rob

Nope. I really don't find any of the `humour` present in the cut-scenes of CV funny at all. I think the only thing I laughed at was in a previous episode which featured a spoof of the Resident Evil 4 quick time events.

As I said, it must just be me as everyone else loves it.

Rob

No, I agree completely Mr Hazelby.

I dloaded and watched it, really excited because of how funny everyone said it was.... and to be honest. I did not find it funny AT ALL. Bit dissapointed really.

The best thing about it was when they spoke about the games, since they are clearly passionate about the medium and know what they're talking about.

The sketches though... well they were bordering on the slightly disturbing to be honest.

Then again humour is very subjective. I personally prefer comedy more in the style of "Black Books" really.

Loved the reviews, loved the nostalgia, for the most part tolerated the humour, though there were Doctor Who bits that worked for me, mainly the cliffhanger music etc.

and another mention for the choices of music accompanying the different segments of the show, works for me. Nice one.

I wouldn't want the humour to change, I'm sure it seeps into even those of us that really don't get it, bit like digi. Legend is already a legend for me, which illustrates my latter point.

Keep it up, you crazy bunch of skirt-wearing offal eaters.