IGNORED

Coldplay - Speed Of Sound

Mk.

I think 'Fix you' is the loveliest song I've heard in ages. The vocal harmonies on the singalong bit are really nicely done. As a friend of mine said when I asked him for his opinion of the album he said 'I'm not sure about the album as a whole but Fix You gets 11/10'

Fix You is indeed a brilliant, brilliant song.

I'm not sure about the tracklisting, to be honest. It makes sense, I suppose, to have the more synthy tracks in a row at the start, but the first half seems way better than the second half. I think it would seem a more "rounded" album if they'd shunted a few tracks from the second half into the first half....

Whoever said this album was a grower was spot on.

My first full listen was a bit :) but now its definitely :P . Fix You, Square One, Low, Speed of Sound, Twisted Logic and Talk are all fantastic tunes, and the rest of the album is damn nice too. It really does take 3-4 listens to start to appreciate the album as a whole, and at the moment I am really looked forward to my 10th listen, which should take place next Wednesday or Thursday.

X&Y really is the sum of its parts. 9/10 to the Coldplay lads.

They've failed to produce what people turn to them for: catchy, effective pop songs. The album tracks are incredibly polished, but they're meandering and pretty featureless, betraying Coldplay's raison d'etre. Sure, you could spend time 'working' at it, but I don't think there's enough depth or substance to justify or reward that effort.

Have you listen to Talk?

Or Speed of Sound

Or Swallowed by the Sea

Or The Hardest Part (which sounds like Coldplay doing Keane to me - as poppy as Coldplay get surely).

I really like it overall - the title track meanders a bit and Square One & White Shadows suggest a more adventurous direction which gradually disapates as the album contines. But its good solid stuff.

And Talk is just ace....period

I'm with Twyford, I think the album's going to grow on me. At the moment I like Square One and a couple of others, mainly because the guitar parts come through more. It's an entirely different sound from what I was expecting - some of the vocals are breathtaking, but I'd perhaps like a harder 'rock' edge to a few more tracks.

Time will tell though...

Nice to hear some positive opinions filtering through at last.

I've listened to it a lot now and think it's a great album but not a classic (see Achtung Baby/Automatic for the People/Ok Computer etc)

Favourite track keeps changing but I'm well into 'Swallowed in the sea' right now. 'Fix you' is destined to be X&Y's Trouble/The Scientist and even though it bears quite a resembeleance to Clocks, Speed of Sound is just an awesome awesome song that seems to get better the more I listen to it. Totally agree with whoever said The Hardest Part sounds like Coldplay doing Keane and White Shadows sounds like it could be a Killers track to me.

Still enjoying it, who knows, it may grow on me even more and become a classic, but for now a solid 8/10.

I think 'Fix you' is the loveliest song I've heard in ages. The vocal harmonies on the singalong bit are really nicely done. As a friend of mine said when I asked him for his opinion of the album he said 'I'm not sure about the album as a whole but Fix You gets 11/10'

I agree with you 100%

The album sounds to me like they have been really listening to U2 & Pink Floyd (especially some of the Guitar effects), but then Beloved thinks that it just sounds very "Coldplay", so what do I know.

Still, it's a good album.

The album sounds to me like they have been really listening to U2 & Pink Floyd (especially some of the Guitar effects), but then Beloved thinks that it just sounds very "Coldplay", so what do I know.

Still, it's a good album.

who or what is Beloved ? it does sound a lot like Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree era U2. this is no accident. those albums are produced by Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno. Coldplay are self confessed massive fans of Eno, who even appears on X & Y (plays keyboards on Low) and they used music from his Apollo album when they toured A Rush Of Blood.

Eno is also a close friend of Chris Martin.

Whoever said this album was a grower was spot on.

That was me <_<

And it really is a grower.Been concentrating on the first half of the album but its fantastic.

What If is a tune up there worthy of The Scientist.

The more I listen the more I love it

So which version of Talk do people prefer? The album version's totally different to the one leaked a couple of months ago.

I think I prefer the new one.....

It took me a few listens, but the new one wins out. Which was a huge relief.

It took me a few listens, but the new one wins out. Which was a huge relief.

Going to have to listen to the leaked version again as I cant really tell that much but then it has been ages since I played it on my PC.

Its a great track whatever version you listen to.

i don't think i mentioned Radiohead. anyway, that's not what i meant. i was describing Coldplay.

edit. Smashing Pumpkins are fucking awful. just wanted that on record  :D

...yet still many times better than Coldplay, whose latest album is as thrilling as the worst of Elton John. A shame, given that the first two albums were good, if not threatening to be seen as the best of their respective release years.

who or what is Beloved ? it does sound a lot like Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree era U2. this is no accident. those albums are produced by Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno. Coldplay are self confessed massive fans of Eno, who even appears on X & Y (plays keyboards on Low) and they used music from his Apollo album when they toured A Rush Of Blood.

Eno is also a close friend of Chris Martin.

Sorry, Beloved is my other half.

I've pretty much focussed on the first half of the album so far, partly because some of the songs really grab me, and also because I keep getting interrupted.

I have to add my voice to the praise for Fix You. It's glorious. I still think the album is weaker thus far than AROBTTH, but more through my own taste for particular songs on that album, and how it seemed to perfectly fit my life at that time, rather than any direct loss of quality.

White Shadows is good at the moment, but it's a song I can see myself getting a tad bored of if I keep listening to it. It's very catchy, but with that there's a lack of depth to it.

have any of you listened to the concert that was broadcast on Radio 1 the day the album was released ? it's a great gig, one and a half hours long with loads of oldies as well as new stuff. if not you can get it in the usual places. the new songs sound excellent live, especially Low - all squalling feedback and distortion.

also for all you Fix You fans, have you ever listen to Elbow, especially Cast Of Thousands ? Grace Under Pressure is clearly an influence. i've noticed Elbow are supporting on some of the upcoming tour dates too. a bit of a treat.

It's solid, and keeps you coming back.

What If is a completely awful version of Imagine, and Speed of Sound is overkill rubbish. Why? It's exactly the same as Clocks, which was murdered by being played simultaneously on 352 radio sations at the same time over and over.

Fix You is incredible and A Message is lovely. The rest of the album is very good if not startling.

It's disappointing, all this talk of "re-inventing the wheel" and that, and it's basically:

(Parachutes + Rush) + extra production.

but a very nice album. I don't think Chris Martin has it in him to make Coldplay's Kid A though.