IGNORED

Coldplay - Speed Of Sound

Mk.

each to their own i guess. it's a strong album and for what it does (stadium sized anthemic emotive rock) i can't see it being bettered.

Don't get me wrong, like (I think I'm coming across as overly negative here). I actually think it's a tremendous achievement that they've kept this quality up over three albums; and I'm very happy to see something like this getting so much attention from the pop pundits.

I guess I kind of agree with your statement in that it might not be bettered in terms of 'what it does,' but that doesn't mean that the music press should be handing out sweeping statements like 'LP of year!'

I know I'm arguing on a very minor issue here. But it must be very frustrating and disheartening for other, edgier artists to see such blanket praise being heaped over a very, very 'safe' record.

i'm not sure how safe it is really. X & Y is a statement of intent, and that intent is to be as big (bigger) than U2. now imagine if they fucked up. if the songs weren't there, or the hooks, the huge choruses and crescendos. that in itself is a brave move. they could have gone the other way and done a Kid A to much critical acclaim no doubt but also amongst accusations of copping out. that they didn't have the balls.

to attempt this and pull if off is braver than not doing so. it will see them transform into "the biggest band on earth" . after that they are free to do what they want.

one thing for sure is that they'll not do another album like this again.

i'm not sure how safe it is really. X & Y is a statement of intent, and that intent is to be as big (bigger) than U2. now imagine if they fucked up. if the songs weren't there, or the hooks, the huge choruses and crescendos. that in itself is a brave move. they could have gone the other way and done a Kid A to much critical acclaim no doubt but also amongst accusations of copping out. that they didn't have the balls.

to attempt this and pull if off is braver than not doing so. it will see them transform into "the biggest band on earth" . after that they are free to do what they want.

one thing for sure is that they'll not do another album like this again.

That's an interesting post. I'm not sure I totally agree on X&Y as a different statement of intent, if only because it's so reminiscent of the earlier albums (and maybe because I don't think there's anything on here that's so amazingly, instantly anthemic as the openings to In My Place or The Scientist..).

I've never really considered the U2 comparison (another band that became awesome at 'doing what they do,' although to the point of self-parody in their case), though, and I think you're spot on there. The album does feel bolder, more confident, and - crucially - unafraid to play to its strengths. Be interesting to see how it all plays out from here.

I find the album to be okay but It's got too much of a studio feel instead of a band. From the clean plunky piano sounds from Parachutes we now have perfect piano with backing synth and organ layers, just loses some of their individualism for me.

Is anyone else reminded of Pixies' Where is my Mind when they listen to Fix you? The verses aren't far away from being identical to my ears. I thought this song was fairly dire to begin with, but now I know it's about Gwyneth's father dying at the same time Chris Martin fell in love with her, it's more palatable. Nearly brings a tear to my eye... well, no it doesn't, but he'll have won the female audience over.

I didn't mind the first two Coldplay albums - I think they're good records, and there was a decent chance of me purchasing the latest effort. However, having heard about half of it, it's just so incredibly bland that I can barely muster the effort to listen to the rest, let alone buy it. The riff to Talk is the best thing about it so far, and they didn't even write that.

having heard about half of it, it's just so incredibly bland that I can barely muster the effort to listen to the rest, let alone buy it. The riff to Talk is the best thing about it so far, and they didn't even write that.

give the second half a whirl. i find it the most interesting. more to get your teeth into and balances the first half nicely.

Heads up - on Jonny Woss right now.

Doing In My Place at the moment, did Speed of Sound earlier and going to do fix you in a minute!! :)

Coldplay's brand of stadium rock doesn't do it for me, but Chris Martin does seem to have a sense of humour (frog ribbits every now and again on ross tonight). Shame he doesn't use that same sense of humour in his songs

Thats pretty well done actually. So there similar, they're still both good. Really good in fact. If songs weren't allowed to be similar then metal has a genre couldn't exist. Seeing as thats all just riffs and screaming.

band in ripping itself off shocker. for what it's worth the rest of the album doesn't sound anything like Clocks. there are a couple that sound a bit like The Scientist though. Speed Of Sound is a good Coldplay song but it's nowhere near the quality of almost everything else on offer on X & Y.

If songs weren't allowed to use the same chord structure as other songs nothing new would ever be written.

hogwash. new chord, melody and time structures are being written every day by thousands of people.

and this similarity is far more than chord structure anyway.

If songs weren't allowed to be similar then metal has a genre couldn't exist. Seeing as thats all just riffs and screaming.

I assume this is a joke post. have one of these

thumbs-up.jpg

everyone agrees they are similar, can we leave it now ?

got the album in the post this morning and i hadn't noticed until now that it's divided into X and Y parts, six tracks in each (plus bonus hidden track). the two parts compliment each other nicely and i'm loving A message, Low - basically all of Y. Eno plays keyboards on Low too :blink:

They've failed to produce what people turn to them for: catchy, effective pop songs. The album tracks are incredibly polished, but they're meandering and pretty featureless, betraying Coldplay's raison d'etre. Sure, you could spend time 'working' at it, but I don't think there's enough depth or substance to justify or reward that effort.

They've failed to produce what people turn to them for: catchy, effective pop songs. The album tracks are incredibly polished, but they're meandering and pretty featureless, betraying Coldplay's raison d'etre. Sure, you could spend time 'working' at it, but I don't think there's enough depth or substance to justify or reward that effort.

Sometimes the simplest music contains more depth of feeling in a single note than the most complex lumbering beast.

They've failed to produce what people turn to them for: catchy, effective pop songs. The album tracks are incredibly polished, but they're meandering and pretty featureless, betraying Coldplay's raison d'etre.

Bango!

Most bands fear the dreaded 'second album', but Coldplay have stumbled at the third.

Am I wrong in thinking no band can ever have the perfect evolution of Radiohead's first three albums?

I think 'Fix you' is the loveliest song I've heard in ages. The vocal harmonies on the singalong bit are really nicely done. As a friend of mine said when I asked him for his opinion of the album he said 'I'm not sure about the album as a whole but Fix You gets 11/10'

The track after Speed of Sound (A Message (i think)) is a pretty damn good song. That is currently my fave track, hell i know its not exciting or anything new but its like a nice comfy pair of slippers for my ears.

X & Y is the perfect evolution of Coldplay's sound. they are now a fully rounded band rather than a solo act with a few other musicians hanging around.

I'm not really looking for a war over this but you're doing Radiohead a gross injustice if you're saying its Thom Yorke with backing.

Less of an injustice to the Smashing Pumpkins though :D I never 'got' Gish and loved Siamese Dream but in hindsight surely Meloncholly and the Infinite Sadness would have been an insanely brilliant album had they streamed all the shit and squeezed it onto one disc? It has a lot of great music but it has a lot of shit too.

I heard once, and I don't know where, a theory that bands peak after 8 (maybe 7) years, wherever I heard it went on to give examples of artists had they stopped after that time. I think 8 years would support 3 albums generally.

X & Y is good, I'm enjoying it but I dunno I maybe hoped for something more defining. You me its a slightly overproduced continuation of A Rush of Blood to the Head. Maybe that shouldn't be seen as a bad thing but from a promising band I'm sure we were all hoping for something fresher.

I'm not really looking for a war over this but you're doing Radiohead a gross injustice if you're saying its Thom Yorke with backing.

i don't think i mentioned Radiohead. anyway, that's not what i meant. i was describing Coldplay.

edit. Smashing Pumpkins are fucking awful. just wanted that on record :D