Spikeout:battlestreet

Djx

I've read some weird gaming stories but this...

http://egm.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3139436

In case you've been having a hard time tracking down Sega's arcade-style brawler, Spikeout: Battlestreet, 1UP is happy to report that the sold-out game -- which has sold on eBay for over $100 -- is due for a second pressing according to sources within Sega. The limited initial run (under 5,000 copies manufactured) sold out faster than Sega expected, so they're making a second run, which should help deflate price gouging in online auctions. The overall print run will still be extremely low, so if you've considered picking up this nifty little action title, don't dawdle.

I mean WTF? $100 for a game that should have been a DC launch title... ;)

I'm a big Sega fan, but even I know that this game is one of the worst pieces of interactive entertainment ever. It's pure fucking shit. It looks, sounds and plays like a very bad Dreamcast game, the fact that it's on the Xbox makes the whole thing seem insulting.

Actually as you look at each part of the game there is notting special, it's just oh so average, but when you play in multiplayer, all those thing just go away and in a really strange but nice way this is all those Golden Axe, Vendetta, TMNT, Final Fight etc... in 3d and its great fun just like all those good old days.

I mean its nothing special but at the same time its great fun in way few game are these days. For multi its really good and in single its boring as hell

Actually as you look at each part of the game there is notting special, it's just oh so average, but when you play in multiplayer, all those thing just go away and in a really strange but nice way this is all those Golden Axe, Vendetta, TMNT, Final Fight etc... in 3d and its great fun just like all those good old days.

I mean its nothing special but at the same time its great fun in way few game are these days. For multi its really good and in single its boring as hell

Exactly. All the people who don't like it have no friends.

"its great on Live"

"its great in multiplayer"

When thats the best defence you have for a game, you know its shit. Even the shittest of shit has some redeeming features in multi, not because of the game, because of the experience.

"its great on Live"

"its great in multiplayer"

When thats the best defence you have for a game, you know its shit. Even the shittest of shit has some redeeming features in multi, not because of the game, because of the experience.

You have no friends.

Enter the Matrix would still be shit even if it had 19 player co-op.

I forgot to high five you for mentioning Vendetta.

erm I believe this is the correct way

0/\0

I played it with a friend. He insisted we stop playing and play something good. So we sat and played The Red Star instead. It was a happy day.

Or skill, quite clearly.

Button mashing = not the way to go.

Yes, my dislike of the game clearly stems from a lack of skill rather than the poor quality of the game.

You CAN finish the game by repeatedly hitting X again and again and sidestepping, there's very little difference between the characters, the levels were clearly designed in a primary school using Lego, and the bosses are as cheap as chips with their ridiculous invulnerable phases. Even if it were on Dreamcast, the graphics and animation would be laughable, and the music is as generic as you'll ever find in the most banal budget release.

Of course, the computer controlled enemies are utterly retarded, but I'd be remiss to complain about that as it's very much par for the course, and to be expected in the genre.

From the artwork on the case, to the music and the graphics, to the 'is it 1989 again' gameplay, it's a cheap, nasty and amateurish product that you would be rubbishing too if it weren't for the 'Sega' badge on the box.

I played it with a friend.  He insisted we stop playing and play something good.  So we sat and played The Red Star instead.  It was a happy day.

Yes, my dislike of the game clearly stems from a lack of skill rather than the poor quality of the game. 

You CAN finish the game by repeatedly hitting X again and again and sidestepping, there's very little difference between the characters, the levels were clearly designed in a primary school using Lego, and the bosses are as cheap as chips with their ridiculous invulnerable phases.  Even if it were on  Dreamcast, the graphics and animation would be laughable, and the music is as generic as you'll ever find in the most banal budget release.

Of course, the computer controlled enemies are utterly retarded, but I'd be remiss to complain about that as it's very much par for the course, and to be expected in  the genre.

From the artwork on the case, to the music and the graphics, to the 'is it 1989 again' gameplay, it's a cheap, nasty and amateurish product that you would be rubbishing too if it weren't for the 'Sega' badge on the box.

well, im thoroughly enjoying the game! it seems arcade perfect and thats good enough for me!

I played it with a friend.  He insisted we stop playing and play something good.  So we sat and played The Red Star instead.  It was a happy day.

You CAN finish the game by repeatedly hitting X again and again and sidestepping, there's very little difference between the characters, the levels were clearly designed in a primary school using Lego, and the bosses are as cheap as chips with their ridiculous invulnerable phases.  Even if it were on  Dreamcast, the graphics and animation would be laughable, and the music is as generic as you'll ever find in the most banal budget release.

Of course, the computer controlled enemies are utterly retarded, but I'd be remiss to complain about that as it's very much par for the course, and to be expected in  the genre.

Red Star is a great game, but its not in the vein of spikeout, and yes it takes skill, timing etc like in a good fighting engine, alot simpler than VF but in the same very much simplified vein. Think you mean 1995-98 ish(at least in the home) with those graphic mentions, since thats the year megadrive came out in Japan, or do you think its the same as Double Dragon series in the arcade or maybe Hard Drivin(at least in 3D)????

Red Star is a great game, but its not in the vein of spikeout, and yes it takes skill, timing etc like in a good fighting engine, alot simpler than VF but in the same very much simplified vein. Think you mean 1995-98 ish(at least in the home) with those graphic mentions, since thats the year megadrive came out in Japan, or do you think its the same as Double Dragon series in the arcade or maybe Hard Drivin(at least in 3D)????

Yes, I was comparing it to scrolling beat-'em-ups of the eighties such as Double Dragon and Final Fight. They're unquestionably Spikeout's forebears, but whilst we all played them and enjoyed them back then, shit has moved on.

You'll note that I WASN'T comparing Spikeout and The Red Star. I simply wanted to place it in context - I have given the game a chance, both on my own and with a friend and found it to be nothing short of a fetid turd, so we went and played a good one. As I said, the problem isn't so much that it's a very simple game. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a simple game, so long as it's fun. The problem with Spikeout is that it's simplistic, cheap and amateurish. That it comes from Sega is truly appalling.

Don't presume to 'think' I mean anything other than what I said. Read the post next time, twice if you don't understand it.

Yes, I was comparing it to scrolling beat-'em-ups of the eighties such as Double Dragon and Final Fight.  They're unquestionably Spikeout's forebears, but whilst we all played them and enjoyed them back then, shit has moved on.

You'll note that I WASN'T comparing Spikeout and The Red Star.  I simply wanted to place it in context - I have given the game a chance, both on my own and with a friend and found it to be nothing short of a fetid turd, so we went and played a good one.  As I said, the problem isn't so much that it's a very simple game.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with a simple game, so long as it's fun.  The problem with Spikeout is that it's simplistic, cheap and amateurish.  That it comes from Sega is truly appalling.

Don't presume to 'think' I mean anything other than what I said.  Read the post next time, twice if you don't understand it.

My bad and noted. <_<

Was a bit rash cause i think otherwise, so sorry about my presumtions, and yes Spikeout is simplistic, amateurish and cheap(at times, until you get good enough), i still find it tremendous fun in twoplayer, strange really.

• 4 months later...