Moto GP

Couch Corpse

And he's busy bitching how the organisation and rules are biased against poor little Kawasaki, winners of the last 6 championships.

Why are British drivers and riders always either crashing in every 2nd race, whining little shits, or in the case of Cal Crutchlow, both.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/05/2021 at 09:59, Dudley said:

Why are British drivers and riders always either crashing in every 2nd race

Look I'm sorry, he's got basic speed but this is beyond a joke now and after next season he's actually over the Moto3 age limit.

After a decade of this how does McPhee get work and how are BT still apologising for him?

I'm a fan and he's clearly talented but it's nothing short of a disaster this year, some of it not his fault. Petronas team has a great progression tree through the classes but there's so much competition now I can't see him staying. There's still time this year and I'm sure he'll be OK somewhere next year, but he should have left to moto2 and he should've been a real contender this year. Still as long as he doesn't go the way of Danny Kent or Tommy Hill I'll be supporting him.

When you see endless Spanish 16 yeR old who are better riders than people 30 years old it makes you wonder why we can't produce, 1 fucking rider to be consistent and competitive

Yeah, he's certainly not the character Danny Kent is but it's been 9 years and he's merely very, very good but not world championship quality.  After 9 years the one thing you shouldn't be doing is the kind of stupid mistake he made at Catalunya.

To give some idea of how long this is, in his first Moto3 season were Vinales, Rins, Oliveira, Binder and Miller.

The thing with Moto2 is, who gives him a ride?  Although to be fair there's an argument for giving both Moto3 riders the Petronas Moto2 seats right now given Dixon has been semi quick twice but is going nowhere in year 3 and Vierge, who I do like, is in year 7 in Moto2 and hasn't got a win for any of 3 of the very top teams.

That's kinda what I was getting at, Petronas has an obvious line through the classes with a strong team in each. A good year for McPhee would have surely seen him take the Moto2 bike, but now who knows? He's shown enough to get  middle tier bike I'd say, but maybe he's got enough good will in the bank to still go Petronas.

• 1 month later...

Valentino Rossi calls 'an exceptional' press conference for today at 16:30. Am guessing he might be about to hang up the leathers for the last time. Probably a few years late by my estimate, but then again given how exceptional he's been I can't begrudge him going out when and where he wants.

Man, that'd be a shame to go out like this season. The bike he is on being so rubbish is quite bizarre, none of the yamahas are consistent really iirc but the Petronas team have been the worst. 

Whatever happens he brought so much colour and life to the racing on and off the bike he will never be looked down upon. Winning a title with 500cc, 1st gen 4 strokes, 800cc 4 strokes including back-to-back with 2 manufacturers is incredible. Marquez will undoubtedly eclipse his records (if not already) but Rossi will always be loved more.

Yeah, he's been great. I've not always been on his side (the stuff with Gibernau at Jerez in 2005 was a bit silly, for example) but he's been wonderful for the sport.

He's just confirmed that Valencia this year will be his last MotoGP race.

Yeah, totally funcked Gibernaus head up. Biaggi too, but he still went on to wsb and on a title or two.

A guy I worked for was mates with Colin Edwards family, and his son got to go to Ibiza with Rossi and Colin for his holidays etc, Jammy fucker.

In a rather bizarre turn of events, Yamaha have withdrawn Maverick Vinales from this weekend's upcoming race due to what they call 'unexplained irregular operation of the motorcycle' last weekend.

I mean, I know he's on the way out of Yamaha already but this has all gone a bit sour now. Are they suggesting that he tried to blow his bike up on purpose or something?

Edit: “Yamaha‘s conclusion is that the rider‘s actions could have potentially caused significant damage to the engine of his YZR-M1 bike which could have caused serious risks to the rider himself and possibly posed a danger to all other riders in the MotoGP race.”

Just remembered that time in one of the lower catagories when he was fighting for a championship late in the season he fell out with his team and, rather than do a race and argue off-track, he just packed up his things, left the track and didn't race hence losing his chance to win the title. 

EDIT: This is getting super messy now. Vinales' Dad runs a Superbike team that was running Yamaha bikes... or were - they announced two days ago that they'd split. Dad had apparently been on social media basically saying he thinks that Yamaha sabotaged his son, probably causing the split.

I mean... at least you can't say that this is dull :lol:

Inevitable, you cannot ride a motorbike unless there is trust between test and rider, he was never getting back on the thing.

Cal in for Britain which unfortunately continues the trend of every 2nd motogp story on motorsport.com being him whining about something but after that who knows.

Jake Dennis on the SRT because they need a sponsor bad and dumping the nearest brit with a pulse on it can't hurt.  He'll be very last depending on who if anyone gets on an Aprilia.

It could, of course, be Mav...

Is Cal actually any good? He was always hyped so much but seemed to fall off every other race when I casually followed MotoGP, firstly before it went to BT Sport, and then before BT Sport started having prohibitive contracts tying you in for a few years at a time. 

Almost every British rider seems to fall into one of 2 categories.

1 - Fast but falls off constantly.

2 - Slow and falls off constantly.

Cal is at least option 1.

But he's also retired and in the last 2 races has been deputising on one of only 3 old bikes in the field now so he's never going to do well.  One race on a works bike will make it tricky to give much of an impression too.

"He had his moments" I think sums up Cal. Some very good podiums on the Tech3 yamaha then went to LCR Honda and did OK here and there but fell off way too much and got hurt then the arm pump stuff kinda ducked him. But to be given a chance out of nowhere says something positive about him.